Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed. And they only come in 1x6 profiles.

I have been hoping to find a premolded poly bench seat (think plastic picnic tables) that could be padded or put on aluminum rails. Red of course.

Chaos - It warms our cockles to see you folks out there doin it "Hawaiian Style". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chaos, teak stain on pine looks great. With the addition of black diamond plate looks like your organization isn't chaotic.
If you want to sleep on board recommend the hammock penthouse. Keeps you weight relatively close to the center line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Nice post, Jim. HAKAs are the way to go! Thanks, NOHUHU.
Keith

Thanks Keith. My next modification is to see about adding lightweight foldable aluminum legs to have a nice long table for camping.

NOHUHU wrote:
Chaos - It warms our cockles to see you folks out there doin it "Hawaiian Style". :mrgreen:

Yep, maybe it will be a new fad thanks to you Nohuhu ! See what you started. I added a picture of the aluminum square tube to show what I used to control the flex in the hakas. Your method is probably stronger.

fly4v wrote:
Chaos, teak stain on pine looks great. With the addition of black diamond plate looks like your organization isn't chaotic.
If you want to sleep on board recommend the hammock penthouse. Keeps you weight relatively close to the center line.

Thanks Fly4v, I tried to use a Hennesey Hammock while hiking on the Appalachian Trail but I just couldn't get a good nights sleep in it. Plus they are very cold to sleep in unless you insulate them. I guess I'm not a hammock sleeper.

The black diamond plate is a sears shop mat. I also used them as a tent doormat to keep the sand out of the tent. The diamond plate mat was also used as the padding between hakas and the akas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, you guys have made beautiful timber Haka seats, but unfortunately in Aus, it's very hard to get good quality, light timber without paying a fortune. (I have built two timber kayaks & my wife keeps reminding me how much they cost!) As I loved the idea of the Haka seats & my kids wanted to stay a little drier whilst sailing, I have made an aluminium version.

I have used 44mm anodised spinnaker poles, trampoline mesh & closed cell cushions from Whitworths. These seats are light & lovely to use. (Thanks guys for the idea)

I also now store the paddle outboard so that we can move around without worrying about falling & breaking the paddle shaft.

More photos and descriptions can be found here: http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... fications/

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that's an interesting twist on the Hakas Rob. They do look comfortable with the foam. Much more comfortable than sitting directly in the tramps. I'm sure your family will be quite comfortable.

I noticed the leash in your additional pictures and that's something I still must get. I'm living on the edge literally by not strapping myself to the boat in case I fall off my hakas.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your modifications.

Last edited by CaptnChaos on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done nicnrob, plenty of great ideas there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And you WILL fall off the Hakas, sooner or later. Promise.

(Sooner on a TI if your buddy is steering,..) :o

Keep it up mates!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Weather was bad today so I went for it.

I'm 215 pounds and they will hold me, which was a surprise as that wasn't the intention.

Have another coat of teak oil to apply, then stick the pads on, and I'm done. four and a half hours including rounding up the supplies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice going Nutt! You will love the new seating position.

How are you planning on strapping those down?

Did you leave slack in the length so you will be able to slide those in or out, as you prefer?

Nicnrob, what do your metal units weigh in at?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Nice going Nutt! You will love the new seating position.

How are you planning on strapping those down?

Did you leave slack in the length so you will be able to slide those in or out, as you prefer?

just wrap that around the aka.

as far as placement, they will move from where they are in the picture out about a foot further, OR I can put them both on one side and make a sort of platform. When bungied they don't slide at all, I used a 1/2 thick foam yoga mat and cut it to make the pads, with the pressure from the bungees they grip the akas pretty well. They are exactly a foot wide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work. That reminds me, I've been meaning to give a couple tips to builders.

1. The Aka bars are not square, so you need to make sure any joists or other parts will clear the Akas as you slide the bench closer or further from the hull. The bars may be several inches further apart, near the Amas. Allowing for this will give you maximum flexibility of seat positions (for landing, fast-tacking, fishing, and fraidy-cats).

2. If you use carefully chosen stainless hardware and screw from the bottom, you can hide your screws, creating a clean/smooth bench surface. It also helps keep water from sitting on and penetrating the wood or causing rust. You can also countersink your screw heads a bit and finish off with a touch of silicone.

3. The distance between slats can be adjusted to fit your favorite accessories, like mirage drives, paddles, fishing gear, etc.

4. Bungee balls feel much better under the Haka seat, rather than on them. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi NOHUHU,

My seats weigh in at 4.6kg (10lb) each, about the same as your timber seats. I was expecting my seats to be heavier than the timber ones, so I'm happy with the result.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll love them Wingnutt. The only thing I'd suggest is for you to consider adding a bar underneath or something similar to what NOHUHU did to counteract the flex which can be amplified when you're bouncing off big waves. A little flex is ok though.

I'm changing the way I attach my hakas to be more efficient than the ball bungees. Something similar to what you're doing.

NOHUHU, I noticed you slide your mirage drive between the slats. When I do it, the fins drag in the water so I need to work on that some. And thanks for the builder tips. I'll keep improving mine as I go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

These platforms are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, but my simple alternative to dry comfort on the tramps is to lie on a gym mat. Because they come in a role, the leading edge curls over the front aka and doesnt seem to blow away. I could tie it down I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a fun time at the lake, the Hakas are fantastic, great place to store the dagger board, fins, a fishing rod, or your ass! :lol:

The boards do flex a bit, especially when I sit in the middle, so I will probably go ahead and add a center brace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 88  Next