Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capt Chaos,
Help me create the raka for the tandem! Placed around the rear crossbar would be a great place to drive from solo and still allow slipping into the back seat for a downwind sleigh ride. I would probably even pedal from the raka as the legs would reach. I could even get one of the those comfy bean chairs and ride in real comfort.

Bosab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am confused... if placed around the rear crossbar on a TI it would be over the rear pedals. Are you talking about adding a further crossbar behind the rear seat? Wouldn't that place your weigh too far back if soloing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bosab wrote:
Capt Chaos,
Help me create the raka for the tandem! Placed around the rear crossbar would be a great place to drive from solo and still allow slipping into the back seat for a downwind sleigh ride. I would probably even pedal from the raka as the legs would reach. I could even get one of the those comfy bean chairs and ride in real comfort.
Bosab

Sure, I'd be glad to help you make a Raka for your TI Charley. It would be an interesting project.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Raka would sit over the rear Mirage drive, but I guess that wouldn't matter if you were soloing from the front seat. The two problems to be overcome are getting around the backward-facing diagonal braces and finding a way to anchor the Raka down so you can hike out. I would be inclined to disconnect the aka braces, use the brace's ball fitting as an anchor and tie the aka to the Raka in some way, so that it becomes the brace.

Last edited by chrisj on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Behind the front seat it's gonna interfere with the rear mirage drive, I would think.

We played around with the rear batwing idea on the TI too, and came up with the "TI3".

Bosab, you can't really pedal from the alternate seating, but you can steer with your toes. It's a lot of fun.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good Chris! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU, with those 4 hakas, your have the makings of a serious tent platform.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
NOHUHU, with those 4 hakas, your have the makings of a serious tent platform.
Keith
Surely. But unlike you, we have no camping venues where it could be properly used... except as ground platform. (We envy you folks who can do extended trips).

Then again - if one wanted to make a really cheap houseboat...

Last edited by NOHUHU on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
We played around with the rear batwing idea on the TI too, and came up with the "TI3".

This is amazing. It's the first Hobie Island that seats 6 :lol: . You can take the whole family with that setup (including the dog).

You should make one set of long hakas. That would look awesome. I predict Hobie will be selling Hakas with their product line in the future. So much more practical than tramps.
NOHUHU wrote:
(We envy you folks who can do extended trips)

And everytime I see pictures of you sailing in Hawaii, I envy you guys. I would love to sail an AI in Hawaii someday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
And everytime I see pictures of you sailing in Hawaii, I envy you guys. I would love to sail an AI in Hawaii someday.
Captain Jim... Come on down! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We toyed with the long bench idea, even before the 3rd set of Akas were added. You have to consider how your going to transport them too, if they get to be 10-12' each.

Interlocking modules would have worked pretty good, but this seating is my favorite because it makes it easier/quicker for the sheetman to transfer off the front seat, and then anywhere on the boat including extreme trapeze-like positions. The pilot likes having them closer in the back and doesn't need to hike out as far in that position.

We'll probably go with this config this weekend.

Free TI3 rides if you're in the area!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just realised, while fiddling with my Haka/Raka, if you straddle the gunwales with 2 pieces of 4"x2", one behind the front crossbar and one in front of the rear crossbar, you can lay the Hakas on them, over the main hull, and clear the cleats on the front crossbar and the diagonal braces at the rear (AI). That means you can pitch a bivvy, or whatever, and stay level and high and dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the ideas. Those that know me understand how I can just about peddle the front drive from the rear seat. Sitting right over the rear aka bar is just about a perfect peddle location for me. Except for head end hitting the sail as you tack.

The first B in BOSAB stands for big. Ain't sharing the rest!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Understood. You need room to stretch out. I got long legs and just can't sit in one place for long.

I'll be interested in hearing from Chris how he likes the new outboard wing seating and the difference it makes when trimming the boat.

Maybe he'll get that thing to plane on a hard reach.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I'm keen to compare it in Batwing mode with Haka mode. (I know it's not shaped like a Batwing, but I painted it black to compensate.) If there's no great advantage in sitting further forward when hiking out, I may trim it back to about 4' long. That would leave about 13" overhang on each side, which is plenty. Do you find yourself tending more toward the front or the back of the Haka NOHUHU?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 88  Next