Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

hollgi wrote:
Looks good!
But I have to ask:
How much gear do you need for a week?
Are you moving house?

No, not house moving, but I also have to wonder:
How much "fishing gear" would you need to have to stay out for a whole week? :roll:.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
I have to wonder:
How much "fishing gear" would you need to have to stay out for a whole week? :roll:.

That is a good question, as they say. I don't know what Hollgi would take, but I've learned to keep the gear down. No matter how many lures/hooks/baits I take, I use very few--those combos that have worked before. People say, "what is your favorite lure?" The answer: "the last one I caught a fish on." I know what will usually catch dinner: 1 rod/reel, a Cajun Thunder rattling cork, a couple Gulp! pearl white shrimp, some fluorocarbon leader, a few hooks, and a small fishing net. If I'm going for a week, like a 70-mile trip from Flamingo to Chokoloskee along the Everglades Gulf coast, I would take 1-2 rod/reels, 2 or 3 rattling corks, leader, hooks, and 15-18 Gulp! shrimp, a pair of Chompers grips in place of the net. Except for the rod/reels every thing fits easily in the round hatch in front of me. Now, since I usually designate a couple days for fishing during a week-long trip, I would carry a few of my truly favorite lures (yeah, the ones I've caught fish with) and maybe 1-2 new ones. These lures would fit in a small box which would also go in the hatch in front of me.

Now, that I have a pair of hakas, I will probably carry 2 rod/reels lashed to the hakas. The fishing gear including rod/reels weighs less than 5#.

Now, that is my approach. Others are going to do things differently.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaknrugger wrote:
I must have read this thread in its entirety 10 times or more on my quest for the perfect hakas for my application. I have made my initial cuts but this picture is still of a the rough cuts. I plan to do more work today, but wanted to show what I had done so far. These hakas are a mighty 8'x16" wide.

Untitled by yaknrugger, on Flickr

looks great. can we see what you have done on the underside?

CC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Great to hear you had a successful maiden outing. I presume you left the bung out on the ama!

it didnt appear to be loose and only when i undid it was water coming out of the bung hole. we will test again and see if it happens twice.
Cc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:

CC

CC,

I had a ton of options, almost too many. I have a few more cuts to make, sand, route, sand, stain, seal. I got a lot of ideas from you because your setup is very clean, expedition style like I wanted, cantilevered as I desired, and your use of a solid laminate deck was preferred. I am an angler and often carry a lot of gear.

I will say you almost got me with the different wood density post, and I'm no expert. I also don't have anything close to your amazing shop setup, but hey, dream on I suppose.

Anyhow, At our local big box store I found these project pieces of lodgepole pine and I did some investigating. They are rumored to be strong yet somewhat pliable and lighter. I figured I'd give it a try. I did some jumping tests on just the decking alone and it seemed rock solid. That would save me the trouble of trying to join and plane the surface. It is 3/4" and started off around 20lb. Just the surface is now down to 15 but I still plan to add 2 horizontal trusses underneath similar to yours and join to 2" PVC that will clip to the akas.

Again, all of these ideas from this thread have gone into them along with my own personal touches, but as you can see I drew the most inspiration from your setup.

After I work out the surface and get the trusses in place I will post new pics. Can you give me a general how to on sealing recommendations? I will be using stainless hardware (countersunk) to secure the trusses to the deck from underneath. I am hoping to keep the weight down as much as possible but I'm afraid at a mighty 8'x16"x3/4" that's going to be a chore. 20lbs a side and I think I'll be happy. Besides, supermodels and fish alike deserve a proper platform to sail upon.

Jay

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've printed some pictures of the hakas posted on this forum and gave it to my handyman guy, who usually does some odd repair jobs in my house. He has all the necessary skills and experience plus tools of course. Yesterday he's brought the benches to me. We've tested it on my TI in the garage. Fits perfectly and can be installed in two positions: as close to the hull as possible till it pushes against the pole that keeps the rear aka in place or closer to the floats. He's used a hardwood from the hardware shop and covered it in 10 layers of marine warmish, stainless screws. Looks magnificent, like some kind of expensive piece of furniture. very sturdy too, as in the middle the board is set vertically, so even when I've stood on it there was no flex (I weigh 90 kilo). I've paid 350 bucks for the job but I think it's worth it. I don't have neither time no skills or tools, but like the idea of hakas. So this weekend I'll test it in the beautiful Sydney Harbour and post the pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi there - I am pretty new to the forum having only had my Adventure Island a few months. Its a 2009 model so the first thing I did was to buy Hobie tramps. And of course found out about the wet ride there for anyone sitting on the tramps. So on reading the forums I came across this one on hakas and have read every post on the 44 pages. Thanks so much to NoHuHu for taking the initiative here - you and all the other forum members have inspired me to build my own Hakas. Naturally I have used as much information from the forums as possible so I didn't re-invent the wheel too much. But there was one thing that I noticed everyone seemed to have to compromise with - the ability to fold the Amas in. I'm interested in fishing so folding the Amas is of importance so I decided to design a Haka that would allow the Amas to fold without removing the Haka - and here is what I came up with.
This video shows the first Haka - I only did one as a prototype first and will build a second one now that I know it works.

I hope you find it of interest.

Barry

Last edited by aussieonyak on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaknrugger wrote:
Chopcat wrote:

CC

CC,

After I work out the surface and get the trusses in place I will post new pics. Can you give me a general how to on sealing recommendations?

Jay

I finished mine with Epifanes marine varnish. it is the first time that i have used this as in my woodworking i tend to use more subtle finishes. I have to say that the epifanes has turned out very well but you do need 6 or 7 coats.
A 1Litre tin will do the job.

When you screw anything in (i have not used any except for fitting the scotty mounts) coat them with silicone to try to stop water getting in down the threads.

Cc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For those interested in the construction of the folding Haka I am including some photos here.

Strength and stiffening come from fixing the side panels on edge and shaped to touch the Akas when the Amas are in the sailing position.

The rotating platform from RailBlaza is secured to the centre of the Haka at each end

The center support was secured on edge and I used pocket hole screws and Titebond3 glue to get a strong fixing

And here's the Haka when the Amas are folded in
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbrsqjpfag8oo1x/IMG_1432.jpg?raw=1/img]

This shows the end view when folded. As you can see when the Haka is folded in it is only supported by the Railblaza mount - so I have to make sure I don't fold it in with a person sitting on it or fully loaded up.

I used Poplar lumber - only because I could not get my hands on any decent cedar which was my preference. Cost was about $100 for lumber, $5 for pocket hole hardware and plugs and $60 for the 2 railblaza rail mounts (although I would have had those anyway). Poplar is a little soft and will bruise but the varnish will provide some protection.
EDIT - Other Costs: I forgot to add the cost of the railblaza rotating platforms which were $25each plus tax at West Marine. Varnish was less than $10 /haka (I bought a gallon can to keep cost down).

Last edited by aussieonyak on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry AOY, but I can't see any of the images. I'm I the only one?

If I post your image address in Explorer, I can go to the site and see it. But if I try to use that address as an Img link here on the forum, it does not work.

The link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti9n4uqftxf78zu/IMG_1427.jpg

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry about the link Chekika - this my first posting - it looked simple enough but obviously I did something wrong.. Am I just supposed to copy the URL link into the text box or do I use the "Img" button and post the url between the [img] codes?
I'll hunt around for some instructions on this.

Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

go into photobucket, click on the star wheel on the right of the photo you want.
you will get a dropdown menu
click on IMG CODES
it will go yellow and be copied to your clipboard
go into you message and just paste it in
the rest happens like magic
!
Cc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chopcat wrote:
go into photobucket, click on the star wheel on the right of the photo you want.
you will get a dropdown menu
click on IMG CODES
it will go yellow and be copied to your clipboard
go into you message and just paste it in
the rest happens like magic
!
Cc

sorry you are using dropbox. it must be the same just search for the IMG bit
Cc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks CC - I 'll try that - I'm using Dropbox but it should be similar. Thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK well thanks to Chekika and Chopcat I fixed the links - they should work OK now. I'll try to figure out how to embed a video or picture in the message so it shows in the forum so people don't have to click a link - can't be too hard - just haven't figured that part out yet :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 88  Next