Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bryan
Welcome to this Forum as a fellow Canadian. 8)
It's an unusual setup for the Tramp replacements, yet it obviously works for you.

Yah Cochrane Lake or even Lake Lake Minnewanka up by Banff can get some wicked down drafts (at least they did back in the 70's, and no reason to see any difference now)

The 2 horse Honda is a great idea as an alternative to any electric motor (for the time being). Btw: As I'm not an owner of these motors, I assume an alternator could be fitted, somehow? If not, on a day trip it wouldn't be a huge concern anyway.

I still own a 5.0 horse 2 stroke, longshaft Merc that has seen all sorts of action on different boats over the years. Yet I know that eventually they will find a way to wrestle it out of my hands due to regs, even on the Pacific Ocean.

Good fishing and fair winds, Bryan.
(From Vancouver Island)
Trinomite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Trinomite

I spent 2 weeks on Kinbasket Lake (Mica Dam) it's about 180 miles long and mostly 1. 5 miles wide. It has good Kokanee & Trout fishing, but it's either to choppy with 2.5 foot waves about 3 ft. apart, or flat with little wind. I troll using peddle power, or the motor, depending on conditions, and only used the sail once because of conditions.

My AI has a regular tramp on the other side and I use gel cells for the electronics. Kinbasket has mountains on all sides. Sprage Bay is the Forestry campground, where I set up and stay. The most boats I see are about 5 to 6, for all of this part of the lake. You have to cut your own fire wood, but dead cedar, and spruce are easy to find.

Your 5 Hp 2 stokes probably weighs in the 30 lb. range, and should get an AI's speed up to 12 miles per hour.

I've put over 100 hours on the rig with no problems.

Bryan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your response, Bryan
As you can tell I haven't been back to Alberta since the middle 70's.
Yet I'm glad you found places I never did a long time ago.
Thanks for the heads up on some of these amazing places.
When I lived in Calgary, the Kannaskis area was an offroad area, almost.
Who knows, it would be fun to rediscover the foothills of the Rockies again...
Including the Waterton Lakes and Glacier National Park and those amazing shots I got near Pincher Creek, Alta.
Be well
Fred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rhyolken :
Has anyone looked in to the Electropaddle motor at ( http://www.electricpaddle.com/)

The motor weighs 8 lbs and the battery 8 lbs (16 lbs all in)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3VRXWR3As&feature=pyv&ad=6171181095&kw=KAYAK[/youtube]

Looks interesting

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rhyolken:

Bob brought up a very interesting product.

On the website for the Electric paddle.

http://www.electricpaddle.com/downloads ... g_2010.pdf

(The 48 Degree North, article), it's mentioned that this is a product designed as an addition/supplement to the paddle, peddle, or oar methods that are already available for use on small boats, such as a kayak.
Interestingly, the designer, Joe Grez, is also a project manager for the Sonic Care Toothbrush. As, I swear by these toothbrushes, the colors used for the Electric Paddle are almost identical to the toothbrush (trivia).

If The Electric Paddle works as well as that electric tootbrush, then it gets 2 full thumbs up from me. From the reviews, it does it's job as intended.
It is also quite cost effective, can be used on a 24V battery (with optional cable); and it seems to fill that small niche that other power sources simply cannot compete with:
A simple, lightweight means to help out your tired muscles after a long day out on your Island if the wind has stopped blowing.
Motor sailing is also used by many people in the same regard even if there is wind but the clock says you need to get home sooner than later.

Thanks for that post, Bob, and yes I'm seriously thinking about buying this one.

Best Regards, rhyolken, Bob
Trinomite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It does look interesting. Uses model airplane props and the battery pack floats.

Couple things to point out. It does make some noise and has no reverse.

You can not extend the tiller arm. That may be the dealbreaker on an AI/TI.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure its going to push an AI or TI. All the boats shown were very light weight or sleek touring hulls. Cost?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Around a grand. Here's a speed chart.

http://www.electricpaddle.com/faq.html

The video shows shallow calm water applications. I doubt it will be of much use in ocean swells and riptides.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Matt and All

Qty. Product Price
Complete Electric Paddle System $985.00
Extended Range Electric Paddle System (with two batteries) $1,299.00

The design was based on as an addition or supplement to the existing mode of non-motorized momentum.

As the TI is a lot more heavier, yah, it could just drain the battery quicker due to displacement.

For the AI in solo mode, it could just work well.

I have an extension tiller for my 5 horse Merc. On the eyeball level it looks like it would fit. Reverse has never been an issue so far as you either backwind the sail or get the emerg paddle out.

Untested by this writer and offered only as an opinion.

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU (edited due to my bad habit of not spelling names right, (sorry bud)

Yup, you're right, it would hardly have the muscle to get past a rip tide or any serious swells. Yet in that regard, as you sail Hawaiian waters, the swell is usually indicative of wind.
The reviewer in that article made sure he said that the test area was a mirror and in back waters. It seems better suited to still lake waters and/or the Ocean at it's kindest level.
If it came down to bare bones in hard water, the 2hp, 4 stroke Honda (based on a proven item that Bryan mentioned in his post) is probably the better answer as this motor seems to have more torque to get even a TI out of issues in those cases (it can also do a 360 on the mount thus allowing you to reverse if the motor is mounted close to you near your reach):

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewhondabf2d.html

Regards
Fred

Last edited by Trinomite on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do like this product from a design standpoint, especially the large built in rudder. It's never going to pull the bow up, :lol: but it might supplement the mirage drives, if used right.

My first impression, in those tests, is that you really would have no problem at all propelling the AI via pedal (with more speed and torque), but I could be wrong. Even more so via sail, so the applications would be more or less limited to launching/landing and cruising inland waters.

By comparison, the Evolve, mounted inside a Mirage well. is a very exciting and effective motor. Too bad about the price.

I always look forward to new product reviews though and hope someone will test it with our boats. One question would be, how would it work with our rudder system, and if used alone, does it have enough rudder to keep the AI on course in real conditions.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just purchased the e2 motor for my TI and so far I have been very impressed with it. I have only had it out once and had 2 adults and 2 kids onboard. Combined with the fact that we were in a strong current making intellegent comments on speed/power consumption would be foolish. I can only say that I was very impressed with the power/power consumption for those conditions. Typically, I was running about 3 knots at ~130 watts. Once I have the chance to test it out under more ideal conditions I will do a complete writeup.

As for if the e2 motor is worth it, I would say it depends. For me I have found myself offshore 7 miles trying to get back against a 2-3 knot current and a headwind, one two many times. I normally fish alone and having the e2 motor in the fwd well combined with me pedaling the mirage drive in the rear is a no brainer. I also love the way the e2 motor is seamlessly integrated into TI. It stows easily in the fwd hatch and is takes less than a minute to put in place to use.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow Steve. Eight legs and eight arms to pedal/paddle.

Wish I had that kind of "reserve power" onboard the AI! :D

An E2 review would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yah me too...Mr Green being Mr Envy.

Funny though, once the crew starts 'yacking away' only Capt Bligh could possibly get the needs of the boat under their considerations...

Or so it used to seem. :lol:

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Wow Steve. Eight legs and eight arms to pedal/paddle.

Wish I had that kind of "reserve power" onboard the AI! :D

An E2 review would be appreciated.

Not at all what it seems. They were all girls...So who do you think has to provide all the power? Yep, just me and the e2!

Come to think of it, the e2 is perfect! You get a secondary power source without having to talk to it! God, I love technology!

Steve