Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: THE TI3 PROJECT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nohuhu:
Actually I working of a fix for the water rushing in thru the scupper holes at high speed and filling the cockpit and rear area, It's actually a problem.
I have already covered over the rear mirage drive plug with silicone so the gaps are now very small (less water rushing in, but it still drains when you slow down.
On the scupper holes which I seldom use anyway, I'm thing of putting something like a floating ping pong ball in there, so the ball floats up and blocks the drain when going too fast, but when you slow down it drops and allows the water to drain. It's gonna be either that or a flap or reed valve at the bottom that opens like a trap door and creates a siphon when underway, basically at speed re-directing the rushing water to create a siphon. Who would have ever guessed this was going to be a problem (lol)
FE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yikes. I need to let about 10lb of pressure out of my tires for this...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Nohuhu:
Actually I working of a fix for the water rushing in thru the scupper holes at high speed and filling the cockpit and rear area, It's actually a problem.
I have already covered over the rear mirage drive plug with silicone so the gaps are now very small (less water rushing in, but it still drains when you slow down.
On the scupper holes which I seldom use anyway, I'm thing of putting something like a floating ping pong ball in there, so the ball floats up and blocks the drain when going too fast, but when you slow down it drops and allows the water to drain. It's gonna be either that or a flap or reed valve at the bottom that opens like a trap door and creates a siphon when underway, basically at speed re-directing the rushing water to create a siphon. Who would have ever guessed this was going to be a problem (lol)
FE
FE, have you seen these?. Image

http://www.oceankayak.com/innovation/key_brand_features/scupper_holes/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cbird808 wrote:
Any suggestions on how to strengthen the connection of the third xbar to the TI behind the rear passenger?

I was first going to use washers, but perhaps a single backing plate on each side is required to provide the necessary strength to support the stresses that will be applied by the xbar.
YES to the backing plate. 1-1/16x6x1/4" We tapped ours for the Hobie bolts @ 1/4-20 I think. The holes should be plumb, aligned between port and starboard and square with the other AKA bar. The holes on the hull/plate won't be centered due to the curve of the gunwhale. In fact, the hull slopes aft slightly too, so dry fit the crossbar with the AKAs w AMAS attached to see if you need to add washers under the rear crossbar to keep the AKAS aligned with AMA holes. We did not, but this is plastic-ville not sheetmetal-land and ours was a V1 TI hull.

Use thickened Gflex or other marine adhesive on the backing plate.

We've only run the TI3 in rear AKA mode ("super-sidekick" mode) a few times in sheltered water, but at high speed. It was great, but you will experience more bow twist, so I recommend you tie safety lines from bow to AMAS.

And have your front sailor wear a seatbelt. There's nothing to keep them from falling in now. GREAT VIEW!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:

Yikes. I need to let about 10lb of pressure out of my tires for this...

NOHUHU, call me simple, but if you load the hull upside down, the crossbars should drop down level with the roof racks, giving you a few more inches of headroom. (smacks forehead)

This advice is offered free of charge :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't see it here Tony, but the Hobie is up on Thule glide Saddles, which greatly aids loading the hull onto my "SUV from hell". It's a struggle to get it up there, much less flip it when it's 7-8' off the ground. Used to be easy on my 4dr sedan...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh well, looks like you need to get some lowered boy-racer suspension :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the info, Nohuhu. That's very helpful.

Were the reinforcement/backing plates aluminum or stainless?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stainless.

You can probably go with nut/washers for the rear ball brace. They are prone to unscrewing themselves and rough conditions. I would goop these too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cbird808 wrote:
I just ordered the rear xbar and mounts and am going to transform my TI to a "TI2.5", aka the TI3 v2, where the akas & amas can be moved to the rear position. Thanks for posting your mods Nohuhu, the pics and videos are helpful.

I suspect that with two people, the TI is more well balanced in the standard configuration (with hakas, of course). When I sail alone, however, the boat is rarely balanced properly because the sweet spot seems to be well behind the standard aka position, and outboard of the rear seat.

I like that with the rear cross bar, I can easily change the configuration as need be.

If this doesn't satisfy me, then the TI3 upgrade will be next.
Cbird, I am anxious to hear and see how this worked out. Or feedback from any of the rebels who sought to do the full "TI3" upgrade. There were quite a few who asked for specs and advice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy 2017, Hobie Addicts!

I've been spending a lot of time flying catamarans over the last year (and neglecting this thread), but there has been recent TI3 developments I will share with you soon. I've also been sitting on a ton of TI3 footage of great sailing days and I've been meaning to put some together to share.

Each year, we have several hurricanes and named storms roll toward us that put us on high alert. Sometimes several at one time!

And we've had some close calls.

When this happens we get severe flooding, runoff and storm surge, leading to some nasty "Brown Water Advisories". That means a couple days of polluted water, floating debris and increased shark sitings. Even in Waikiki.

Here's one such day, where we held our noses and launched anyway, only to be rewarded with perfect conditions for a "Diamond Head Sleighride". Watch it in HD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your TI project is just fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration.
I am just starting my own TI3 build. I saw your TI3 on YouTube a couple of years ago its just the right mod for my fishing kayak project.
Started a new thread as a build blog, will post soon!
Wish you all the best!
:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12