Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AGUSTIN'S VAN TOPPING
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all: this is my friend Agustin idea for VAN TOPPING. He is trying to sort out a few bits that will make his idea MUCH BETTER; but it is working and very well.
He made it on aluminium and
weldering or soldiering (I'm not quiet sure about what word is better).
The best of it is that lifting the TI to that high is effortless, so he does it by himself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhjbbZxlD0[/youtube]

greetings from Spain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those Sprinter vans are Tall :)

Love the idea, but hate the fact he's lifting all that weight by basically the bow insert (pad Eye) Those are only molded-in to a little plastic, and are not very strong. I fear that this will rip the fitting out of the boat eventually. He needs to find a solution that would use a strap around the hull or through the mirage drive well opening instead of just tying off on the bow tang - over time I'm fairly sure it will fail.

Good video - keep us posted the final set-up...Spain looks nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
Love the idea, but hate the fact he's lifting all that weight by basically the bow insert (pad Eye) Those are only molded-in to a little plastic, and are not very strong. I fear that this will rip the fitting out of the boat eventually.

There must be something I don't understand here. Isn't the hull designed to be carried by the bow and stern inserts? That would involve each insert bearing half the weight of the boat. Wouldn't the weight born by the bow insert be equal to the sine of the angle that the ramp makes with the ground? The greatest weight born by the bow insert looks to be at about 51 seconds into the clip, where the stern is not sitting on the trolley. I reckon the angle of the ramp to the horizontal is about 37 degrees at that point and the bow insert would be bearing about 0.6 times the weight of the boat.
Either way, I guess he could just put a D-shackle on the front padeye and guide the cable through that and attach it to the front crossbar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it's clever and functional. Two thumbs up for Agustin!

The winch applies power evenly, (which is good, as long as nothing gets "stuck") and the hull slides smoothly up the rails. The higher the TI goes, the more the weight it carried by the metal rails, so it doesn't look like much weight is ever placed on the padeye.

It loads the padeye vertically, rather than the usual horizontal. I don't know if that is a concern, but you could easily attach a luggage scale to the cable and measure the weight accurately.

A couple suggestions,

1. Adding a short length of soft rope between the steel cable and the padeye will reduce the stresses on the bow.

2. The square metal rails need cushioning to protect the plastic hull from scratching and denting, while loading and transporting.

3. With a small powerwinch on the front bumper and you could push a button to load/unload while you guide the hull by hand. (Es Pan Comido!)

4. Where do the Amas go?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting that cavendish62 and congrats to Agustin for a very clever and innovative roof loader. 8)
It has given me some ideas for using a ladder as the loader and the many roof rack accessories that are available 'off the shelf' for ladders.
I'm with Chrisj here and can't see what the problem is with using the bow padeye in this application? It seems as if there would only be a little more force applied than when wheeling? I've been dragging my loaded Adventure up two very steep driveways by the bow handle and have had no problems over the last 3 years (other than the cord on the handles wearing out). :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I agree that the bow pad eye is not the best place to put that much load. It is probably fine for quick loading and unloading but attaching the line to the crossbar with a guide on the pad eye would be a better long term solution in my opinion. It would be interesting to know how much weight that line is pulling! That is a great set up though and I'm he will tweak it over time to be even better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, thanks very much to all of you. You are helping us to improve. We'll try to...

I consider that as Agustin and myself didn´t see much problems when sliding up the hull, probably didn't realize that it could be a problem with the padeye at the bow.
chrisj wrote:
Either way, I guess he could just put a D-shackle on the front padeye and guide the cable through that and attach it to the front crossbar.

I think it is great solution, thanks!

NOHUHU wrote:
I think it's clever and functional. Two thumbs up for Agustin!

thanks very much! About the winch and soft rope, I do agree with both easy ideas

NOHUHU wrote:
2. The square metal rails need cushioning to protect the plastic hull from scratching and denting, while loading and transporting.

Agustín did it already. This is sorted.

chrisj wrote:
4. Where do the Amas go?

Sometimes he load them in the van; others (if going for few days on vacations) go on top of the hull. I think he can lift everything together. Pan Comido! haha

stringy wrote:
Thanks for posting that cavendish62 and congrats to Agustin for a very clever and innovative roof loader.

thanks very much

Bcastile wrote:
That is a great set up though and I'm he will tweak it over time to be even better.

Yes, he is doing it! in fact this the second structure he has made. The one before was also very useful but heavier, Now this one weights less than half and it is much better.
I will transmit him all your thoughts and ideas! All of them are more than welcome so we all learn from each other. Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice idea Augstine.
I do like how the TI sits on a frame which is then pivoting on the back of the rack and is able to roll or slide onto the roof rack track.

I have just fitted a Rhino rack Side Boat loader to my 4x4 and it is a great invention. It uses a cordless 18V drill to winch the boat up two ramps onto the roof. It is intended for an auuminium dingey but works well on my TI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPyVSIsgAc

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... er_52.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geordie wrote:
Nice idea Augstine.
I have just fitted a Rhino rack Side Boat loader to my 4x4 and it is a great invention. It uses a cordless 18V drill to winch the boat up two ramps onto the roof. It is intended for an auuminium dingey but works well on my TI.

Geordie,
I've often thought that this might work and it's great to see someone's actually using it. 8)
Could you give us a few more details?
How do you get the TI out of the cradles or do they slide down as well? Do you flip the TI?
It deserves it's own topic. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi good afternoon to all,sorry but I do not speak English and I write with the google translator,
I'm new to the forum and saw that my friend Eduardo (cavendis) to put my video transport Tandem kayak Island.Already have improvements, I will put to work to send pictures with details, sorry for not doing it before and thanks for the input and advice