Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
You might check out Thule's product called the 'Outrigger'
It works very simply - and does kind of the same thing, its a bar that comes out allowing the user to load half the kayak to the side of the vehicle, we have used them, and they work fine. (and only cost $84.95)
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/ ... trigger-II

If your already have a set of Compatible Thule bars this would be pretty nice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks JB. Incompatible with aero bars and rated at around 70 lbs but folks w the square bars like it. The rack n roll is similar.

I expect I'll have to make my own. Unless I have a buddy in Austrailia. :wink:

Btw, Thule stopped making the rapid aero bars (ovals) and is pushing the new tear-shaped aero design. Trying to beat yakimas whisper bars.

Hard to see how attaching stuff to these is going to get any easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I expect I'll have to make my own. Unless I have a buddy in Austrailia. :wink:

NOHUHU, If you want, I could get you one and ship it to you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont know what exactly the stipulations are, I guess they are different for everyone.

I use the Yakima Even Keel setup, BUT I removed the rubber of the back cradle and replaced it with cloth so the boat can slide on it.

I have a late model Tacoma with the factory switch bars. I heave the boat crossways across the bed, that is the only part that requires any oomph, after that its a matter of pivoting the boat up into the rear cradle and just sliding it forward and letting it drop into the front cradle. Taking it down is the reverse.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may take you up on this Chris - thanks.

I'm ready to pull the trigger. Has anyone down under seen these new sliding racks in the flesh?

At the very least, I should have a rack and roll. It rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Three years on, I can certainly recommend the Rack and Roll.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my new ride. Mazda CX-9 SUV with factory rails installed. Luv it, but it's going to be a bear to load from the rear or sides. No trailer hitch.

Looking for something clean, eurodynamic and quickly removable.

If I could get the Thule sliders, I think I'd be in heaven, If not - the US offers this new loadbar:

Yielding something like this solution:

Probably with the Thule Glide and Set saddles.

Any pro/con advice on different saddles out there?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Luv it, but it's going to be a bear to load from the rear or sides.

I just checked the specs on the Mazda. It's only 28mm (1") higher than my Subaru and the Subaru's not too difficult to load the boat onto, once you get the hang of it.
I used to use saddles, but found it easier to flip the boat and carry it inverted, but a lot of people think differently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you haven't checked out Thule's Slipstream system, that one works really well to. (for car's like your Mazda with the sloped rear window - it extends out for easy loading) We have even used this system before for Pro Angler! even though its over their load rating - still worked fine. I think Thule understates their rack's load capacities due to the roof rails being too light duty, but you can usually over load them without much worry. Anyway - this thing has a 75lb rating

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Without racks, this mazda is actually 1" taller than the subaru is WITH racks. 68" with a bare roof.

Being a six-footer, it did not look that intimidating in the showroom. But I may have stepped in it. I found out later there are NO running boards made for this beast...

The optional roof rails add about 3" and the Thule 450R/Aeroblades add about 3" more. Stack saddles on top of that and I won't be able to get under many bridges now. :lol:

The $lipstream is a great $olution for many $UV's, but it looks like it would almost double the height of my setup. (Saddles on bars, on bars, on bars, on rails!) At that point, it may not fit in my garage.

The yakima showboat is a great product too. It's lighter, fits aerobars and will not add any height to your rack.

I may be forced to go with the yakima, but prefer not to leave a big rig like this on the car as I drive around for business. They whistle and suck gas as you go. If removed, you need a safe place to store this boxy setup.

Anyone else who's considering these sliding-style loading trays should keep in mind that they can weigh a lot and that weight is subtracted from your vehicles carrying capacity. Possibly a concern with the heavier Hobies and 100 lb roof rails.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like adding a towbar is looming as a logical step, and biting the bullet for a trailer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Guess your smile for the new set of wheels doesn't quite match the grin on the front of all Mazdas.
To celebrate the purchase and solve the rack problem just take a quick trip to Australia.
You can pick up a cooper's anchor while your at it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I'm about 5'10", so if the Mazda with racks is about 4" higher than the Subaru, you have to lift the boat about 2" further than I do. When I extend my arms, I clear the roof racks by about 2 feet easy. I really can't see the height of the car being a major problem.
The Forester has no running boards either and they are not necessary for getting the boat up on the racks, but for flipping the boat over, I just open the door and stand on the door sill.
If I can get someone to hold the camera, I'll post some action shots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So - turns out I have a couple mates in the promised land, and few more who fly planes there regularly, but it does me no good.

The great rack and roll product does not work with our wanker US-style cradles and load attachments.

Seems we get those nasty-looking, 19th century, clamp-on, wing-nut accessories with protruding brackets, bare bolts and thumbscrews everywhere. The rest of the planet gets the sexy, clean-looking, integrated, slot-loading kayak carriers with hidden hardware.

It's all in the fine print here: :(
http://www.rackandroll.net.au/docs/cradle.pdf

I suppose if you used no cradles and no surfpads of any kind, the bar would be worth having. That's not the way I load. I try to protect the hull, rack and vehicle.

Sorry - Nuff whinging. Hope you all enjoyed the Superbowl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not trying to promote the Rack and Roll bar, but I've got wrap around kayak cradles which I never bother to use any more, but which I have used with the R&R bar. I put the cradles toward one side of the car and the bar on the other. Once the boat is up on the racks, it's easy enough to wiggle it across onto the cradles.
Anyway, weren't you considering the Thule setup?