Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splash Guard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This winter I decided to make a set of splash guards to try and stay a little dryer on my AI. I looked at KayakBob's design and added my own tweaks to it. I can snap the splash guards on in about a minute and they are very effective. We had some leftover shade cloth and a few pieces of scrap pvc so it didn't cost anything to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esJzMuneZEw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esJzMuneZEw[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Splash Guard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nicely done!

If you can get a bit more stretch (forward/aft) on the material, it won't billow as much on the windward side and cup as much on the leeward. Maybe by using a tighter line out to the sides, or wrapping the lines below and around the aka so they attach from the rear at the same spot?

Still seems to work well. Good job!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video, Jim. I'm going to have to check those out more closely when we get together again.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice dry view from the benches Jim! Nice to see the boat so level on a super windy day.

Your guards appear to work great. I like the PVC frame idea. If you work the fore/aft slack out of them, they should produce somewhat less drag.

Thanks for shooting and posting this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys. I was fortunate to get a new waterproof camera last week so I was able to shoot video in more extreme conditions.

Bob, I did a few things in the past to tighten up the tension of the splash guards but haven't done it lately as they work fairly well as is thanks to your original splash guard design. Nohuhu has a good point about the drag though. Don't need additional drag ...

And oh yes, a level boat (using hakas to hike out) sure does improve performance. Before I hiked out, the Ama was buried and the rudder really fought the forces of the ama digging in. Once I moved onto the hakas, the AI seemed to take off and the sail even seemed to be vibrating differently. It was a whole lot of fun thanks to NoHuHu's Haka idea.

Keith, hopefully we'll be getting together again soon ! I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim,

Marc has suggested we do another trip to Pavilion on Mar 16-18. I believe he will bring his young son. Put it on your calendar, although we may do still more trips in between.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Jim, Marc has suggested we do another trip to Pavilion on Mar 16-18. I believe he will bring his young son. Put it on your calendar, although we may do still more trips in between.

That sounds good Keith !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

march 16th I am in. maybe leave the drysuit the bag by then ! Possibly we can get 9 boats?

Bosab :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi there CaptnChaos;

I noticed during your video, that you seem to use a dodger on your AI? I haven't seen other people using them while under sail, so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they either create drag, or are not practical. Could you comment, please? Anyone else?

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Donna, I occasionally use a dodger and it comes in handy on cold days. On long trips when the weather gets rough they are wonderful to have. And I would have to say they actually slightly improve performance with their aerodynamic properties. But I usually don't use mine in the summer.

Disadvantages are they take add a few minutes to your launch time. And they can be a little confining. Especially when trying to reach in and thread your furling line through the cleat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been using the Dodger for the last 12 mths; that is until I got some of Bobs Splash Guards made up for me. They stop the waves that used to hit the Dodger. I now only use the Dodger in really hot conditions to keep the sun of my feet and legs.
The splash guards are the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread!