Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just curious, has anyone tried to fit a TI sail on an AI? Maybe to make a super light-air sailer, or a ...

I plugged my '11 TI mast into my '12 AI and the TI mast collar was about 2" taller. If that mast were only a bit shorter I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Naturally there'd be additional strains on the hull, V-brace, etc., but I'm thinking not unmanageable.
Of course, this might mean cutting a new TI mast. Now, where did I put that lottery ticket?

How about a mast extender for the AI rig to accept the TI sail? I used an extender on a windsurfer with a carbon mast. It was carbon also and just plugged into the top of the mast. We're talking here about extending the AI mast about 2 ft.

I'm just noodling ideas about the AI. I love these boats.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-jb24601

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The sail would have an odd shape. The TI sail is a bit longer than the AI so the angle of the mainsheet would be too steep on an AI. I'm sure it would push the boat, but not really well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JB,

Last year I installed AI crossbars to my 2011 Adventure which allowed me to use the akas/amas from my TI in a light weight Hawaiian Outrigger configuration. I was also considering the option of adding a Hobie Sail Kit but decided instead to adapt a used windsurfing mast (460cm Skinny Carbon) and sail (6.5) that I recently acquired from the local used market.

So my project involves installing a Hobie v-brace and mast reciever to my Adventure (which arrived last week); followed by building an adapter by epoxying on a Hobie furling sleeve over a windsurfing mast extension (Hawaiian Pro Design 48cm) and fabricate a delrin rod for its base.

I'm hoping this will allow a standard windsurfing mast to fit an AI's mast receiver.

Should be working on the project shortly and will post pics of my experiences...

Aloha,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With lots of windsurfing sails being offered for dirt cheap in the local used market, I'm thinking it's a way to add a small/tough light weight furlable sail to my hapa AI project.

Here's a few pics of what I have so far.

Glued (3M 5200 and drywall tape) a AI furling spool to a 48cm windsurfing mast extension.

Then cut, drilled, and shaped a base from a Delrin rod stock.

Fits nicely into a newly install AI mast holder.

Next phase is to add the necessary Harken blocks and rigging (West Marine had a sale) and hope to take her out for a test run soon...

shaka,

c2y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wild. I like it.

What sail are you planning to fly?

What are we going to call this thing?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

Thanks. I have a “skinny” 460cm carbon fiber mast and a 6.5 sail to test the concept with. But could possibly use other sizes since the mast extension fittings are standard. I’ll have to remove the horizontal battens from the sail in order to furl and okay with the loss in sail efficiency. Goal is to give my Adventure some flexible sailing options by sharing components from my TI and adapting a windsurfing mast/sail. I’m thinking of deriving the name of this project from the term “Poi Dog.” Which Hawaii residents use to call someone of mixed descent. So calling the project “Poi Boat” seems fitting.

Shaka,

C2Y

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got some time today to work on the “Poi Boat” project. The carbon mast fits well and its height can be increased as needed. Liking the lightness of mast assembly.

Fitted the sail over the mast and was able to completely furl the sail in; but, I couldn’t furl it in as tightly as that of my TI. Since windsurf sails are designed to work with a bend in the mast, I ended up with a lot of looseness around my straight mast setup - which was anticipated. But hoping it’ll be enough to get some assistance from the wind and I won’t mind the in-efficiencies. Might be able to test it out this weekend and will post an update.

Shaka,

C2y

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very clever mods there C2Y! 8)

JB,
You've got me interested so I thought I'd see just what needed to be done to fit the TI mast and sail on an AI.

Surprisingly the TI mast fitted OK into the AI mast receiver.

The locking lever worked as well. A simpler alternative to shortening the mast would be adding an extension to the furling drum, maybe just using a cut down AI furling drum under the TI furler?

The aft sheet block would need to be moved further back so that all the sail could be used but initial mock ups look promising:

I'm interested in this to get better performance in lighter winds and not for increasing top speed in high winds. The trick would be to furl early when winds pick up. Whether the furled sail shape would be as effective as the AI's remains to be seen.
Definitely worthy of some on water testing! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy,

So it fits but the furling drum sits 2-3" too high? Does the mast sit properly on the pin? (I'm surprised the locking clip would work like that).

Apart from "ruining" a good TI mast, do you think it's feasable to trim the mast base and replace the mast base cap? Would be easier than relocating the furling ring, I would think.

If you go forward, how about starting a new thread for this historic subject?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI and TI masts share some common parts. The mast bases (hole version) are the same so the fit over the pin is the same.
The furler drums are different. The TI (lower mast in pic) is longer but has the same diameter which is why the mast retainer lever still works (just). There is no room for uplift play which may be an issue. You can see that the tapered section of the TI drum is longer and that is what is touching the AI's mast receiver bearings so there is a bit of extra play there as well. (see 3rd pic down in my previous post)

Yes it would be easier just to cut the TI mast a bit shorter and replace the mast base but then that would mean I couldn't use it in my TI.
If the initial on water test as is works OK the solution for me would be to
a) just add some tape to the drum taper to build it up that little extra
or
b)-slip a cut down AI furler drum (or similar) over the TI mast that would be removable. Something along the lines of the small sail adaptor I've made and yes I'd start another thread for that. :)

PS- I'm surprised none of you Hawaiian trail blazers have tried this yet! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You must have the wrong impression of me. I only stick my mast where it belongs.

Thanks for the pics!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out CTY's drop down transducer. That guy is always thinking.