Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When Hobie switched the AI to V2 akas, I inquired if the kits for converting an Adventure to an AI would begin using V2 parts as well. Hobie's response was the switch would be made for the 2012 year. But the 2012 accessory catalog was recently issued, and the conversion kit description now states the following in bold text": "Conversions kits are available in V1 crossbar / aka configuration only". Buying the individual conversion parts to make a V2 conversion kit is prohibitively expensive. So much so that one could buy the V1 conversion kit and the V2 crossbars and akas for less. I waited until 2012 specifically because of Hobie's response, and I am very disappointed that Hobie has reneged on this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie never stated that V2 conversions would be offered for sale in 2012.

I am the one making those decisions, so not sure where you got that information...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Please review your response to me on this question from 6/2/2011.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not the only one who thinks the V1 akas are better. It may be a blessing in disguise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Although I may have eluded to the possibility... I did not state that we would offer V2. I get your point, but We have not yet reached the point where V2 will be offered. I can say the same today... we may move to V2 by the fall (of 2012). Likely that will be the case this year.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I'm not the only one who thinks the V1 akas are better. It may be a blessing in disguise.

I would guess Hobie could offer the V2 akas/crossbar in the blink of an eye--or at least, in the time it takes to arrive at the cost and put it in their on-line catalog. Clearly, it is a marketing decision. If you want the new V2 system, buy a 2012 Hobie AI/TI.

In Chris' link above, some suggest the older V1 system is "simpler" (implying simpler is better.) One might have a good discussion about which system is "simpler." In the V1 system, you have to hold the aka with one hand and line up the 4 pin holes, and then continue holding everything in place while stretching the shock cord securing the pin and slipping said pin into the 4 aligned holes with the other hand. Ask a newbie or your wife/girlfriend to put a V1 aka/crossbar system together for the first time and see how "simple" they think it is.

In the V2 system, you slide the knuckle insert in until it seats. Doing it with 2 hands is easier, but it can be done with one hand.

What is the definition of "simple" here? Would anyone argue that the V1 system is "easier" to assemble than the V2 system?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
In Chris' link above, some suggest the older V1 system is "simpler" (implying simpler is better.)
Not so much "better" as less prone to failure.

Chekika wrote:
One might have a good discussion about which system is "simpler."
Yep.

Chekika wrote:
In the V1 system, you have to hold the aka with one hand and line up the 4 pin holes, and then continue holding everything in place while stretching the shock cord securing the pin and slipping said pin into the 4 aligned holes with the other hand.
Yep. Do that for each aka, then get on with your day's sailing.

Chekika wrote:
Ask a newbie or your wife/girlfriend to put a V1 aka/crossbar system together for the first time and see how "simple" they think it is.
Yep. Newbies find it difficult the first time (or even the first two or three times) that they do it. I don't see why wives or girlfriends would find it any more difficult, as it just requires a bit of finesse, rather than physical strength. In fact, compared to threading a needle, it's a doddle.

Chekika wrote:
In the V2 system, you slide the knuckle insert in until it seats. Doing it with 2 hands is easier, but it can be done with one hand.
Well yeah, but you've left out a couple of things Keith:

1. Insert akas. You need to twist them to and fro a bit as you insert them but it's easy. Make sure the release buttons are cleanly engaged in their holes, as misalignment of a release button is one reported cause of aka jamming (see below).

2. Tie the akas to central points fore and aft on the boat. Either that or spend the day wondering if one or more akas is going to come adrift and cause a capsize.

3. At the end of the day, try to remove akas. If they won't budge, try twisting the aka to and fro as you attempt to pull it out. If that doesn't work, try pounding on the crossbar as you twist and pull the aka. If that doesn't work, get out the battery pliers or spring clamp which you have brought for just such an occasion. Use the pliers to compress the release buttons while pulling the aka. If that doesn't work use the pliers while twisting and pulling the aka and getting an assistant to pound on the crossbar. If that doesn't work, ask your wife of girlfriend to have a go. If that doesn't work, leave the aka in until you get home, then post on the forum and ask for any handy hints from other sufferers. Once you are home, and when/if you get the aka out, carefully hose out the aka receivers in the crossbars, as sand and mud in this area is another reported cause of aka jamming. If the problem recurs, remove the screws from the cam cleats and file them back (yep, another reported cause of akas jamming). This is a compendium of actual suggestions made by forum members.

Chekika wrote:
What is the definition of "simple" here? Would anyone argue that the V1 system is "easier" to assemble than the V2 system?
Well they might have a bit to say about keeping it together while out on the water and disassembling at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Well yeah, but you've left out a couple of things Keith:

Our views are always colored by our own experiences. Most of the items you are complaining about Chris, I've never experienced. (1) My V2 system assembles easily, period. (2) Mine has never released while sailing, although it has been reported by a couple people. If it were a real problem, I would expect Hobie to fix it or come out with a free upgrade shock cord retainer system on each aka. KayakingBob has made his own retainer cord, which seems a pretty simple solution.

(3) Aka release system sticking: this seems to be the main issue with the "new" V2 system. I carry a pair of pliers. It takes a couple seconds to release a stuck aka. Since I started carrying a tool, I've only used it once. Jbernier has has suggested a means to release a stuck aka w/o a tool:
Jbernier wrote:
Likely the aka arm is twisted in the crossbar - lift up on the aka with it folded back - this will get it back in alignment and release easily. No lube is required, it is just from having the ama folded back and the weight of the ama twisting the aka inserted into the crossbar - this will bind slightly the release mechanism. Should be other posts and tech notes on the FAQ page regarding this as well: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26418

Bottomline: the V2 aka/crossbar system is simple and easy to use.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon