Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been looking to get a boat dolly/cart for my Intex Mariner 4 Inflatable boat for some time now, and have even considered building my own, as they do not seem to sell one for it.
Then I came across the Hobie website and I think one of the plug-in carts would be perfect for my purposes. I was wondering if someone could tell me which of the models would best suit my needs. I was thinking of using the existing motor mount brackets/holes (eyelet) on the boat to essentially "plug-in" one of the carts and be able to easily transport my boat to and from shore. I've attached some pictures of my boat. Basically I need to know whether the plug-in cart would fit either through the holes for the motor mount or if I could somehow rig it up through one of the handles? The dimension are as follows: the diameter of each motor mount "eyelet/hole" is roughly 19-22mm and the distance from one "eyelet/hole" to the other is roughly 27.5-28.5cm. Would any of the plug-in carts from hobie fit for my boat? Thank you very much in advance...
Rudy T.
ps below is the link to the album with two (internet) pictures of the boat

Last edited by Jbernier on Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fixed bad link

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The posts on the Hobie cart are 11" spread apart.
I doubt you would be happy with it mounted on the stern - it would be very heavy to carry that way. The beauty of the plug in cart is that the weight gets balanced so that you aren't lifting so much.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Hobie cart's 11 inch (27.94 cm) center-to-center spacing is in the ballpark, but the 1.0 inch (25.4 cm) diameter tubing appears to be slightly too big. Is it feasible to use larger eyelets? Otherwise it may be easiest to build one out of PVC. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the center to center spacing would seem to be dead on, however the actual tubing would be too big in diameter. What are the tubes made of, can they be reduced (grinding or filing them up a bit), or perhaps extend them by gluing or somehow attatching another section of smaller diameter that would fit the eyelets of the motor mounts on my boat.

Also, have you seen anyone build one out of PVC, how difficult is it and how much would I be looking to spend doing it. If you have a link to a website where someone's done it (like an instructables or a DIY) to use as a guideline. Thanks!!