Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling motor on a TI?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To make a long story short, I recently started freediving and spearfishing from my TI. Because of the predominant wind in the area, the short upwind trip to my destination can take hours of tacking back and forth across the bay. I really love sailing, but if I am out there for diving I might not have the extra time.

At first I started looking at inflatables, such as a Zodiac, but then it hit me... what if I just put a motor on my hobie? I realize this means I would have to register it, but it'd still be way less of a hassle than buying a whole new boat. I am aware of the Evolve system, but at $2000 I'd rather just sail.

I have found a couple of other systems, like the "white snake" one, that seem like they might be under powered for a TI. From what I understand, anything larger than these 18 pound thrust motors will not fit into the mirage drive. So what could I do? Maybe mount a larger motor from the aka right up against the hull and compensate for the off-center thrust with rudder trim... or come up with a bow or stern bracket for it. Could even consider using a small gas engine, 10hp or less. Or am I really better off buying a small inflatable more suitable for diving from?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would just hang an electric trolling motor off an aka. You would hardly even need much rudder compensation. Certainly no need to get an inflatable unless you need to go faster than about 6 mph

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=12229&p=78034#p78034

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The small Watersnake/Sevylor/etc. 18lb thrust model (they're all the same motor from the same Chinese manufacturer) is really a great little motor. Light, powerful and runs a long, long time on a smaller 35 amp-hour battery.

It won't get you there in a hurry, but it'll run you within 20% as fast as much larger higher thrust motors that are far heavier, require larger, heavier batteries, etc.

I haven't tried one on an AI or TI, but on a Revolution 13 it'll push you along at about 3.7 MPH.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome, thanks guys. Some great ideas in there.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The small Watersnake/Sevylor/etc. 18lb thrust model (they're all the same motor from the same Chinese manufacturer) is really a great little motor. Light, powerful and runs a long, long time on a smaller 35 amp-hour battery.

It won't get you there in a hurry, but it'll run you within 20% as fast as much larger higher thrust motors that are far heavier, require larger, heavier batteries, etc.

I haven't tried one on an AI or TI, but on a Revolution 13 it'll push you along at about 3.7 MPH.

TI has a lot more drag than a revolution... I'm not sure exactly how fast the current moves at my spot, but there is usually a 10+ mph breeze in the opposite direction of where I need to go. It couldn't be that bad, though, because I can usually pedal there. Still think it would work?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It'll work, just not sure how far or fast you want to go.

I think the little 18lb thrust motor is a great auxiliary motor for just about any kayak. It's very light compared to the larger and far heavier 30+lb thrust motors and only requires half the battery to run for a long, long time. Just don't expect to run up river at 10MPH. It won't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It'll work, just not sure how far or fast you want to go.

I think the little 18lb thrust motor is a great auxiliary motor for just about any kayak. It's very light compared to the larger and far heavier 30+lb thrust motors and only requires half the battery to run for a long, long time. Just don't expect to run up river at 10MPH. It won't do that.

It just so happens that I already have a map drawn up! I want to go from boat ramp to Cormorant Rock against the wind in an hour or less. The route is just about exactly 2.5 miles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wind and current are always the variables. 2.5 miles isn't going to be the problem. On a calm day you'd be there in 45 minutes or less. But again, that time could double, triple, etc., depending on how much wind and how much current you're dealing with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.martialartsacademy.org/quiet ... ckayak.htm

the TI3 rear ama mod