Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I admit, I am a mod freak and it was a long winter here. The reason for my posts here is to give ideas to other "engineers and designers" just as I got so much knowledge and inspiration. I am trying to "pay it back" as they say. This whole project started after I realized how helpless I was taking in water in 2-3' waves and had to be rescued. I am willing to bet that at the current condition of my boat, that miserable predicament I was in would be of no negative consequence. If I was planning on venturing out in calm placid water, surely I wouldn't bother. I just want to hope for the best and be prepared for the worse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hezi, please put your location in your Control Panel, so we can see where you are. We would probably understand your "stir crazy" behavior (just kidding, but your location would be helpful.)

Some percentage of the Hobie TI/AIs leak, mainly through the front hatch. People, including Kal-P-Dal, have come up with useful, simple ways to prevent that leakage. I'm in favor of successful mods that serve a purpose. I even wrote a whole post about my mods, 2 posts, actually (https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=840&_ga=1.82277776.76725260.1489714288 and https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=750&_ga=1.153131326.76725260.1489714288). In addition, I've posted about design flaws in both the TI/AI 2. I've complained about the weak Hobie aka-brace shear pin ad nauseam--it needs a mod!!!. Your bilge pump is clearly well thought out and implemented. It is just that some of us (Kal-P-Dal and myself, for example), think it would be better to fix the leak before going to such an extreme as a bilge pump, and its necessary electrical arrangements.

Here is WaterTriber Hollywood's system to avoid the main sheet from bothering him.

BTW, Hezi, what was your "bad experience" with Hobie hatches leaking?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Keith,

I am out of Secaucus, NJ which is 10 minutes from midtown Manhattan.
If you follow this link, you will get my story in a nutshell;

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=59058

I have two posts on this page one contain a link to Youtube video I made from whatever footage I had learning to put one + one on my new GoPro.

The shear pin is a concern and I have placed stretchy nylon lines to the rear AKAs as oppose to the metal pin. I did read yours and FE posts about it before you mentioned it and most definitely trying to learn from others mistakes. I saw the sheet line raiser made of PVC before and I am not in favor. I wouldn't want to put stress on the fishing rods holes, and the PVC is probably slightly heavier than the thin walled aluminum I used + my folds for storage and transportation (my truck roof). That being said, I haven't tested it yet so I can't vouch for it before putting it through hell. I saw on Youtube this guy that is using Hobbie stand rail on a kayak as a fixed bridge to raise the main sheet line and if this is made of the same material my H rail is made of, my design should hold firm. All that is left now is to put it to the test. I can't wait...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi again!

First of all, an appologize to Hezi. My post was not ment as somekind of answer to your post :oops: :oops: :oops: .
It was more an reaction of several posts, even in other threads.

I want my vessel to be as simple as possible, it is already complicated enought direct from factory.
There are some very important, simple, safety mods that improves the boat. These all came to me in this brillant forum. Thanks to you all!

We all also like to make our boats better and try different fixes.
But now I think more than twice before starting any new modification projects.
I have created HAKAS, they are light and I can still retract my amas close to main hull. Working fine. But... I don't use them. So I leave them home.
I see the nice new spinnaker and want it. But I will not sacrifice the simplicity of my boat as is, so I will not buy the spinnaker. (YET.. :roll: ).
I like my old and lighter AI (2012) so I will not buy the newer, better sailing, not diving AI2. (YET... :roll: )
And so on...

But I have on one occasion got into trouble where the MD180 would have saved me a lot of effort, so I have ordered a MD180 just now.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Thomas, but I took no offence. I totally see your point. Complexity is relative to the user. We are all different and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for the other.
I for example, do have a spinnaker and I find it exhilarating!
See???
My point exactly!
:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the main sheet raiser getting tested for the first time. Successfully I should add...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVza4_ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video of a longer trip (about 27 miles). The bilge pump was set to auto, but occasionally I would switch it to ON and look back how water is being pumped through the outlet in the back. I couldn't be happier with this mode. Water do get in, especially in rough seas. Why take the chance? I know without the pump I would have several gallons weighing and slowing me down. Look like problem solved :)
BTW, the battery was upgraded to 2 10Ah Lithium batteries in a sealed case which weight very little and have plenty power reserves.
Happy season for you all!

https://youtu.be/eExy6MQ3F98