Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I didn't want to dilute the post "Rudder Loss Solutions" viewtopic.php?f=71&t=47343&start=15
because I think what Tonystott has now come up with is quite ingenious! For new comers who've never experienced a broken rudder line, having a Plan B is a really good idea. Just try sailing your boat without your rudder sometime.

Some of us carry a straight blade paddle like the one shown below, (it's just too difficult to steer with a curved one). I made this from an old canoe paddle and lightweight 1" aluminium pipe. It measures 72" long, has a pvc handle and it's filled with spray foam insulation so it floats. I know I posted some pictures a long time ago when this topic came up, I just can't find them now.

I've used it many times, even if I have to just pull my rudder up to go over shallow areas while still sailing. One day when I caught a crab trap rope and my rudder line went POP, I was able to steer quite well, into a pretty strong headwind, all the way back home.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw some similar paddles at West Marine recently. One paddle I think lends itself to this task - if you already have one - is the SUP paddle - its essentially used as a rudder and a paddle on the board and could easily be pressed into service in an emergency. If its a one piece paddle it could be carried on the akas in paddle clips/bungee or under a haka if you have one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The use of a stand up paddle sounds like a great idea. I see that there are several different types available with different paddle shapes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which might work best? I would imagine that a collapsing/telescoping one would also be useful

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A flat (not cupped) blade works best. I prefer one with a "T" handle to feel the blade's location.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for this info.

Any suggestions in terms of blade size (bigger is better?) and paddle length (longer vs shorter)"

Thanks x 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife wanted a 'small' paddle for easy use/access when fishing banks and shorelines in her Outback. I will probably get me one for my Revo so I don't have to drag out the real/stock long paddle in similar circumstances. It works great and could be used as a rudder when not stored in the hull during use.

https://www.boatpartsforless.com/shop/m ... le-paddle/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have looked at these collapsible paddles as well (available from a wide range of places). They have sprung to mind when people have talked about straight bladed paddles for emergency steering. They are not very long , though, even when extended (max 45 inches), and I wonder about their strength. Does anyone have experience with these, or an informed opinion about their usefulness as rudder-emergency equipment?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

beebrain,
IMO, that paddle is just not long enough to give you the mechanical advantage you need to adequately/easily steer your boat if you lost control of your rudder. If you've already purchased it, try it out. Go sailing in moderate to strong winds, pull your rudder up and see how it feels. If not, then perhaps you can find an old straight blade canoe paddle that you can modify to a longer length like I did. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2014 Tandem Island