Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SUPER AMAS on TI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I re-shaped the stern of my TI using 4lb urethane foam and fiberglass, it was actually fairly easy. I would think if you wanted to make larger AMA's that's the way I would go. My stern mod just straps onto the hull when I want to use it (offshore mostly), when I don't need it I just unstrap and leave at home. The new planing stern weighs about 7-8 lbs and adds about 70 lbs of additional floation to the hull. The fiberglass is very durable and very strong.
I think if I were designing new AMA's I would keep them very slender, but longer withe the front and back bending up like a banana, under normal conditions just the center would touch, as the AMA dives deeper the surface area increases. This way most of the increased area is up in the air (not dragging in the water) until it is needed.
I don't have any plans currently to do anything like this, but if I were thinking about it, that would be my approach (something made from foam/fiberglass that just straps onto the existing AMA).
This way your not messing up the stock AMA's (which are very expensive).
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With a little experience in composites, it's fairly easy to fab up foam/fiberglass amas. Gary Dierking covers the topic well in "Building Outrigger Sailing Canoes", which is just a great book for boat builders and outrigger/canoe folks. He's done a number of large amas using foam/fiberglass as well as box-section thinwall ply.

Here's the link to his ama page:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

The US Blanks 12'6" SUP blank (EPS, rectangular) could probably provide enough foam for such a project, at 5.5" thick, ripped lengthwise and joined via a homebuilt ply stringer.
http://www.usblanks.com/catalog/downloads/
It's EPS so you can use epoxy resin for the glassing, which I prefer over poly.

-RH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jddonham wrote:
I have had thoughts of Super Ama's as well. I called them, Maga Ama's. My thought was to build them out of two more Ama's. Four total. Leave two uncut and cut the other two at the location where the front Aka connects. Slide the cut Ama over the uncut Ama to the rear Aka location of the uncut Ama. You would end up with a 18' Ama and three locations (holes) for mounting your Aka's. (I have experience plastic welding kayaks, hobies as well) Plastic weld the two together and fill the cut Ama with expanding foam. The uncut Ama would be inside the cut Ama a fare amount which would give it some support and in between the two would be expanding foam which would take up any wiggle room and help with flexing. I feel a little more would have to be done to make the two, one. Although this is the general thought. I hope this makes sense in the way that I wrote it. One of my concerns is weight, although the added weight verses the added support might balance out ? I realize the taper in the Ama's would no longer be consistent. I would do what's needed so they can still collapse and fold in. What do you guys think ? Pro's and Con's ?

JD

I checked out AI Ama's today at our local dealer. They will work better. You would end up with Ama's 15'6". 26" longer than the originals and three mounting locations for Aka's.

2012 Oasis
2015 Oasis
2015 Pro Angler
2014 TI