Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I find the original tiller a bit hard on the wrist, but this simple extension provides more leverage and finer control.
I cut it from a scrap of 10mm polycarbonate, but PVC, PET, or Acrylic would also be suitable.

Instructions:
1. Cut out & drill your new Tiller Extension as per the diagram above.
2. Remove the existing Tiller retaining screw using a 1/8" Alan key.
3. Drill a 6.5mm hole in the existing Tiller as shown.
4. Place the original Tiller Retaining Screw into its hole in your existing Tiller (don't screw to boat yet).
5. Piggyback your Extension on top of the existing Tiller with the 2 x M6 screws (the M6 nut goes on the underside of the existing Tiller - see diagram).
6. Attach the whole new Tiller assembly back onto the kayak as it was originally.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask via this post.

Last edited by Rodnco on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rod, I can't see your images. It looks like you may be "hosting" them on your own computer, but then your computer must be on and available so the rest of us can see them. Photobucket.com does a good job hosting pictures and provides free space, up to a point. Here are my step by step instructions for using PB to host your pictures. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=237495#p237495 Scroll down until you come to the post "How to Include Pictures (Images) in your Hobie Forum Post."

Here is an image of my tiller w/ the Hobie tiller knob. My boat is a 2011 AI. I don't feel uncomfortable using that tiller/knob arrangement. The cotter pin is in the tiller to hold the vertical rudder centered for transport--that is another story.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon