Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Barber Hauler idea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Walt, in order to get the most from both sails offwind, I have added blocks at the rear of the amas, to open out the leech of the spinnaker. The has the added benefit of giving the mainsail room to breath using the C hook.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The one thing I need to mess with is can I get the sheet off that post if I were to lose the paddle - like it gets ripped out of your hand if a blade hits the water and your moving fairly fast.

Sailed today and turns out its fairly easy to release the sheet off the peg by simply turning slightly upwind, let the sheet out some, reach over and grab the sheet and "nudge" it off the post. I did this a few times, fairly easy. I did not try it in very high winds but I still think it should not be problem. You need the paddle to get the sheet on the peg but its nice that you dont need the paddle to get it off.

FYI, I am using facebook to host the the picture below. This is the FB group where I have been hosting pictures to link to here.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/976272495795081/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wonder how hard it would be if the wind direction changed or you needed to change direction quickly. When the sail flops to the opposite side with a gust of wind that may be a little more difficult to get off the peg, but as long as you are prepared it should work fine and is super simple.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little earlier in this thread, there was a discussion on sheeting from either the end of the Aka (like I had been doing) or adding something to sheet from the aft end of the ama. This is some what similar to moving a jib car track forward or backwards to affect the sail twist.

So yesterday I was playing with something that Tony had mentioned where you only hook one of the two sheet lines at the end of the ama. This has the affect of moving the sheet pull aft compared to both lines hooked at the end of the ama. The pull moves both back but also in a little (which is the one negative). It tends to open up the sail leach a little which I cant say significantly better for going downwind but probably is a little better if you doing more of a deep reach. But.. only hooking one line was a lot easier for both hooking the line on the post with the paddle, easier to adjust sheet tension and also it was easy to get off the post by hand by just releasing the sheet a little. Turning up wind a little also helps with the hand release. Since this was simpler to use, I may use this like in the attached picture most of the time..

FYI, picture taken at Lake Havasu Az