Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I own a yellow TI and (like everybody else on this forum), am nuts about it! I feel like it's one of the highest quality objects I've owned.

Well, I decided to buy a Hobie Dodger for my ride even though I read mixed opinions on this forum. Well I took possession of my yellow dodger. Read the instructions. Started to put the "tent" poles in place and "SNAP." The ferrule on the smaller pole broke in half.

After closely examining the whole product here's my two cents.

1. The dodger itself (the nylon cloth component), is definetky Hobie quality. It's extremely well made and heavy duty.

2. The "tent poles" are complete rubbish. First of all they are NOT cut to the correct length. They are too long to EVER fit the dodger. The ferrules are too thin.

Prior to buying the dodger, I read somewhere on the site that somebody else snapped one of the tent poles trying to assemble the dodger. If my memory is correct, I think there is an issue here that Hobie should address. Simple quality control would help. When I buy Hobie, I expect the best quality money can buy. So far, everything else I own that is made by Hobie is amazing.

I paid $175.00 for the dodger. Should I return the dodger? Does the seller need to get me new tent poles? Should I contact hobie about getting a replacement for the tent poles (the rear tent poles are too long as well, I can cut about 1.5 inches off to get it to fit. I'd prefer to keep the dodger. But clearly need to get the right parts.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

leelanauX wrote:
Hi,
Should I return the dodger? Does the seller need to get me new tent poles? Should I contact hobie about getting a replacement for the tent poles (the rear tent poles are too long as well, I can cut about 1.5 inches off to get it to fit. I'd prefer to keep the dodger. But clearly need to get the right parts.

Absolutely Lee - send it back detailing the poor quality materials and build issues! That's a lot of $$ to have to start modifying it right out of the box. :x

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I posted yesterday about the same problem. I ended up with a broken ferrule and a small tear in the fabric. There aren't any instructions for the rear seat area either. The instructions are only for kayaks. As I pointed out in my post, the rear seating area has the aka cross bar and doesn't match any of the kayaks close enough to use those instructions. If Hobie markets the kayak dodger for use in the rear of the TI they should include instructions specific to the TI.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

You are correct, that is stated in the description. However, at the bottom of the listing:

Tandem Island: Island Dodger forward/Mirage Dodger aft

I will get the dodger installed. If I do I will post some pictures on the Island Club FB page.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes I have broken both of my coupling over the last couple of years and had the pole tear through the fabric. I replaced my couplings with a piece of stainless tubing that I had. Just the right size. One problem, now the fiberglass pole end snapped just above the coupling. :o

I would like to find a single piece of fiberglass pole that is long enough and has enough spring. I found a roadside marker fiberglass pole but it does not bend enough and snapped. I never fold my dodger. If I want it off I leave the front attached and roll the long sausage to the aka. Secure with a bungee tie.

Any ideas?

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/