Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry fellas, I'm going to be the killjoy here. I'm quite happy with it as it is. Yea, at times I wouldn't mind a bit more speed, but where is the limit ? I'm sure on the Hobie Wave forum they are saying the same thing. 'More speed, more speed'. Personally, I just want to de-stress get away from it all with a bit of camping, fishing and exploring. And if the wind gets up, there is still 50 square foot of sail to have a bit of fun. ( what a bore, I must be getting old :roll: )

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
And here it is in all its glory. Pretty impressive mod. ( but you know what they say about blokes with big sails ? )

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Er...umm ..."They go faster!!!" :wink:

Slaughter wrote:
I'm quite happy with it as it is. Yea, at times I wouldn't mind a bit more speed, but where is the limit ? I'm sure on the Hobie Wave forum they are saying the same thing. 'More speed, more speed'. Personally, I just want to de-stress get away from it all with a bit of camping, fishing and exploring. And if the wind gets up, there is still 50 square foot of sail to have a bit of fun. ( what a bore, I must be getting old :roll: )

Well said Russ, I'm with you. If I hadn't already had the TI sail at hand I wouldn't have bothered either, ...and yes you are getting old!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a short video showing it in action, though as the winds were up I had it furled most of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LLaURSS0LQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, that is probably the only mod that doesn't have a disadvantage. Extra weight I suppose which is next to nothing, and cost. But if you already have it well it's a no brainier. Have you ever overpowered it? ........I'd like to see that :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the things I love about the TI is the ability to roller-furl to suit the conditions (where I live there is almost always 5-10 kts of tradewind, so needing more sail area hasn't been an issue). On the opposite end of the spectrum is my sailboards, which use a different sail for every 7-10 kt increment.

I built a sailing canoe a while back and got into making my own sails. Seems like the AI/TI set-up would work well for this kind of project. You could build a polytarp one real cheap, and if it worked, stitch up some proper sailcloth. Duckworks boat building supply sells the cloth by the yard, and also has a sailmaking service (I think the estimate for my canoe was around $400 for a basic sail). Things like the vertical batten pockets and the mast sleeve would pose a challenge but I've seen some mad engineering skills here, so I think you folks could handle.

-RH