Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was out on the water the past couple days with the new Attwood Centric SAS seat. It was pure heaven. It gave my TI experience a whole new meaning. The comfort was outstanding, it hardly moved at all unless I wanted it too, and all I've done is tether it by wraping around the back chair near the base. Getting 6 inches out of the well was huge, not only for view but to easily get up and back into the seat. I could easily reach the aka brace to pull myself up or let myself down. Also the seat moves you forward so that in the rear of the TI, you don't have any issues with the sailing lines hitting you in the head.
This is the ultimate seat in my opinion for all pre-2015 Hobies with amas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mark,
Are you going to fit Attwood seating to your AI as well?

Also, after I had a look at your website, I am intrigued... are you getting many clients hiring out your Islands?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tony,

I already have a mod on the AI with the Tempress chair, as done in the past by Yackass. I wasn't planning on buying another Attwood at $260 a pop, considering I can move the Attwood from kayak to kayak.
As far as business, I just started the websites the past two weeks and have contacts in town. We are in the slow season here, but I do expect some guided fishing tours on my TI in the near future. If not, not a problem, I wasn't expecting much right on the get go. But I will build it over time. Meanwhile it's pura vida, and I'm enjoying the sea, along with a new girlfriend. Hope you get out on the water again, soon, my friend. Take care!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took the plunge based on what I saw here and bought TWO ATTWOOD seats for my 2012 TI, I went with the Centric that have the springs. There is a fair amount of price variability, I got my at I-boat. I do mostly fresh water sailing, but the California drought may move me to doing more salt water and will see how the springs take the salt. For now the seats LOOK awesome. I did some rough riding this past weekend on Tomales Bay. One foot chop, 10 mph gusts. My GPS said I got up to 8.1 mph. A very good day but didn't have the new seats. I will try it out this week up at Lake Sonoma.
Tomales Bay

I wanted to know what kind of clip you are using to tether the Attwood seat to the TI back seat.

I am astonished how well the seat fits like a glove into the HOBIE seat mold design on the TI. My wife has the sport, and I am going to test it in that too.

If the image of the seats doesn't show, then jump to the Flickr Link in the signature line. The seats show handsomely in the photos.

One Vanity shot. I don't often see myself sailing from this perspective.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good Clint,
Here is how I secured the seat to the kayak so it doesn't float or blow away in adverse conditions.
Used a rod leash, my favorite universal tool.
Don't think this seat will work too well in a Sport or for that matter any single hull mode Hobie. Far too high for balancing. But if there is amas on it, no problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That seat sure looks comfortable compared to the stock one. I'd be interested whether those who have installed it have tried using their boat in kayak mode (no amas) since installing it? My concern would be the raising of center of gravity making the boat too tippy when operating without amas.
Bartman49

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bartman49 wrote:
That seat sure looks comfortable compared to the stock one. I'd be interested whether those who have installed it have tried using their boat in kayak mode (no amas) since installing it? My concern would be the raising of center of gravity making the boat too tippy when operating without amas.
Bartman49

I wouldn't try this seat without amas on any of the Hobie kayaks other than the Outback. And I don't have this model.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not to push this too far, but could the Centric II work? It looks like the base might be more narrow and overall, the seat looks higher. Might be a drier ride and easier to mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Laukahi wrote:
Not to push this too far, but could the Centric II work? It looks like the base might be more narrow and overall, the seat looks higher. Might be a drier ride and easier to mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have never tried it. I see what your talking about the base maybe being narrower as it tapers in from the seat, but they don't mention that width on the website. The Centric II is wider by about 1 inch, has a longer base which would ride further onto the hatch opening and is shorter at the back rest. With the Centric I, we don't mount the seat at all, it just lays in the well perfectly, it's a dry ride, you can't get any dryer, only higher. My guess would be no, that it would not work. The Centric I seems to be a perfect fit, especially for the steering on the rudder. Let us know if you do try the Centric II and how it fits?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Added Steering Riser. There have been some DIY links for this on the forum. Hobie now has the parts.
Parts # 84619001 and 8032211 (screw) $8.50 for a bit less of an arm stretch.

My Glorious Attwood Seat!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a brand new centric seat with the additional cushion in white base with grey trim that would look perfect with a dune color hobie for sale. Sold the hobie island and have this seat laying around. My cost was 259 willing to let it go to a fellow islander for a fair price. Located in Houston can ship to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hello. I read you prefer not to use this seat when pedaling. is it your preference or it's uncomfortable/impossible to pedal?
since i mostly sail and pedal at the same time it woudnt be good for me a seat that cannot be used for both the situations. thanx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RE:hello. I read you prefer not to use this seat when pedaling. is it your preference or it's uncomfortable/impossible to pedal?
since i mostly sail and pedal at the same time it woudnt be good for me a seat that cannot be used for both the situations. thanx

Hi Sardinian Islander,

PEDDLING on the mirage drive while sitting on the Attwood seat, to me, is easier and more comfortable than with the pre-2015 Hobie seat on the Adventure Islander. The seat is a bit higher so you peddle more downward, you stay drier, and the backrest is great. Go for it when sailing with Amas on the boat.

PADDLING with a paddle, while kayaking with no amas and no sail, and while using my Attwood Centric seat, I was sitting up higher while going out a few miles and it was ok...slightly more wobbly, but ok, than sitting in the lower pre-2015 Hobie seat but it was worth it for the comfort and higher paddling position.

I see that some/most? found a great seat by using the thicker Attwood Centric SAS seat on their boats. That 'plusher' seat looks like it puts you in an even more slightly higher seating position so I could not say if it was also a bit more wobbly than the thinner Centric seat.

Yep, get one of the Attwood seats for a pre-2015 Islander. (Hey, am I still a 'Deck Hand'?)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditto

This seat is the Cadillac of seats. I have and outback with the 2015 seat and the Attwood is more comfy (IMO) I like the pedal position much better sitting higher up on the Attwood.

Thanks for the offer of the grey and white for a due boat. I have the blue sail and think the blue seat is kinda matchy. I got blue backboards as short Hakka's. Used both the backboard Hakka's and Attwood seats on a weekend camping trip. Really LOVED the seats and the hakka, on a was a lot easier to use than the trampolines, many more attachment points on the backboard for the gear. It was good for my front seat partner too
ImageHaka for your Backa by C Cocoon, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are the thoughts about the SAS model vs the standard Contour? Would the metal springs be highly subject to corrosion if used in salt water?

When my wife and I sail together we are pushing a combined weight of nearly 475 lb. (about 2/3 of it is me) so we get a lot of splash over the gunnels and surge through the footwells and wheel through-hulls.

I'm about to jump for two of these seats but can't decide between the SAS and standard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next