Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to clarify, when I said ‘bare minimum depth’ I meant the minimum depth needed to ensure the pump never sucks air or runs dry. That is the most crucial measurement. Being able to operate in shallow water has proved a benefit many times and adds to the TI’s versatility. Just yesterday I was trying to launch solo in water too shallow for the rudder, into a 20 knot headwind. I couldn’t keep the TI straight with just the paddle. Ended up reversing out with the OB swivelled 180.
Here’s how my OB sits in the water when the kayak is unloaded. This position has worked well the last year or so.

BTW Walt, just before Christmas the Tacho arrived. It was an easy fit and it works well. I mounted it with industrial Velcro for now, so I could experiment with the best position.
At about 4500 rpm = 5-6 knots, 2700 rpm = 4 knots depending on water conditions.
It’s worth it just for the hour meter, so thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info Stringy! In line with my policy to "Make China Great Again" :lol: I have ordered a similar item for AUS$8.69 plus AUS$0.20 postage (obviously a very slow boat from China), to measure the rpm of my Hangkai cheapie "3.5hp" two-stroke.

It only increases revs halfway through the throttle movement, just increasing smoke but not revs. Time to see about tuning!, but first see what revs it is pulling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
At about 4500 rpm = 5-6 knots, 2700 rpm = 4 knots depending on water conditions.

Great info! That tach probably has multiple settings for the number or sparks per rev. Do you remember the setting you used as the RPM numbers you posted sound correct? I think you picked the one that has the two wire (signal plus ground) pickup...

Also, have you measured the RPM at wide open throttle?

I really do not power sail in winds over where my peak speed would be about 9 mph or about 7.8 knots (dangerous to have some sort of capsize with the props grinding away) but what about peak RPM with any wind and pedal assist - since that gets discussed a lot?

FYI, I think that data says the prop on the Suzuki 2.5 is close to ideal for the TI but if the goal was to go faster and you only achieved a peak RPM of 4500, you would need to re-pitch the prop to get to higher RPM. This would require a LOWER pitch prop. I think one poster went to a higher pitch prop (wrong way) with this outboard and likely ended up with even lower RPM that 4500. This would have reduced the available HP and possibly bogged the engine with higher torque than the manufacture intended.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony,
:lol: Yeah, I’ve been making China great for years as well! My Tacho was the two wire version AUD $18.99. Only took 2 weeks to arrive despite Christmas. I hope you are back on the water soon.

Walt,
I’ve only had it out once with the Tacho and conditions weren’t ideal with 20 knot gusts. It was great sailing though!
The default Tacho setting is 1P1r=1spark per revolution and first start after fitting displayed 2040 rpm at idle in neutral.
This was close to the Suzuki idle spec of 1800-2000rpm so it looks like the Suzuki does fire 1spark/rev.
According to the Suzuki manual max revs = 5250-5750rpm. I didn’t check WOT this time but will do more tests when conditions are better for motoring.
I’ve always agreed with you that the Suzuki 2.5 is fine as is but it will be interesting to have that backed up with figures.
More to come ....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19