Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks stringy, the Trangia bottles look like they are reasonably spill free for on water refueling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We ran outboards on our TI's for almost 8 yrs. I always carried 2 gallons, plus full tanks on board giving me around 200 mile range, just in case....
Fact of the matter, the sealed gallon I kept in an old cooler in the front hatch was probably a bad idea, (dangerous), never needed or used it, (not even once), I did switch out the gas, (poured in car) every couple months, even though it was ethanol free rv gas, and I had Yamaha fuel stabilizer mixed in, (highly recommended by outboard dealer, according to him, it's the best stabilizer), he also recommended to only ever use ethanol free gas.
We also kept a gallon plastic gas can strapped on the rear deck. We kept it in a cloth Home depot bag so the sun wouldn't shine on it, seemed to work well, (kept the fuel cool).
I never got a fire extinguisher, though I think you are supposed to have one on board, oops.
In all our outings, (most weekends year round), I don't recall the last time I had to refuel while out on the water, (very seldom), just a guess is 5-6 times over the last 4 yrs, never really had any difficulty stopping and pouring gas in when needed, I don't recall ever spilling any.
We had to sell our TI recently because of health reasons, If my back heals hopefully we can get another TI this summer, (fingers crossed).
I really like stringy's little bottles, and will definately get some, (love the setup), when I get back out.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

John,

FWIW, I started using MSR fuel bottles when I mounted my Honda, but found Walt's modified one gallon solution - altering the spigot so it auto-fills and stops - to be an even better solution for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bobagain:
That's interesting, actually the 1 gallon gas can I had previous to the current one was really slick. It had a valve and spring in the snout, you had to depress the end to get the gas to flow, worked really well but eventually broke and I couldn't find them again, (slick idea but poor construction).
The gallon container I have now sucks.
Funny story behind that slick gas can, we ran out of gas on our 24ft powerboat 2-3 miles off Anna Maria Island FL, a shore patrol officer felt sorry for us and towed us back to shore, (didn't have too do that). We anchored just off shore and walked to a gas station, they had 6 of those gallon cans, so we bought them all and delivered gas to the boat fire brigade style. Hilarious, we got enough gas to make it to the marina. That can was the last of the 6, they all broke.
Tow US wanted $300-$400 bucks to either deliver gas or tow us in.
Boy did we learn a lesson on that one. The following week I joined boat US. With our TI far offshore, if we got in trouble out there, I can't imagine what it would cost for rescue, (broken aka, broken rudder, snapped mast, strong offshore winds, etc), any of which you need rescue. Something to think about.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Back to showcasing outboard mount.
Done with mine and ready for testing with my suzuki 2.5.
Its 8.6 lbs after drilling holes whereever possible to reduce weight and 7" above the gunnel.
I can still cut the edges to get the ends aligned to the gunnel maybe after testing.

i think i only spent $15 as all were bought from scrapyard including the bolts. A welder made one mount for me before for 100.00 and just sitting in my garage.

Last edited by nap on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

7 feet.. LOL WOW..

looks good and the weight isnt all that bad..

These pictures are from yesterday taken by a buddy who we towed (hosted on FB so will go away in a while)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ooops did i say 7 feet..what was i thinking ...maybe thinking about my height hehe

Wow Nice place to camp out...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Solid looking mount there Nap. Nice work!
I see you are using Dropbox to host your pics. If you change after the .jpg? the ‘dl=0’ to ‘raw=1’ in your link and paste that between the Img codes (press Img button on ‘post a reply’ page) your pics will show in your post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks stringy for bringing that up. i also did change the www to dl to make it work.
it just load slower than other pictures on this post and i know its the size. i take pictures and upload them to dropbox using my iphone. What size do you upload to Hobie server?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the mount I'm using. It can be built with parts available on Amazon which should be accessible anywhere.

It's fully adjustable forward and back and side to side to select any position you wish for your motor. The height is also adjustable by selection of the upper bar, but if you have a standard short shaft motor, the height is near perfect as is.

Full description and instructions here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pro10,
Your mount looks simple and strong. Your instruction is very informative but what about the intruction in building that GT insert? source of that insert bar and tools to tap a thread. I could have followed your design if i can only copy your geartrack insert with thread.

Do you transport your island with the motor attached?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nap wrote:
Pro10,
Your mount looks simple and strong. Your instruction is very informative but what about the intruction in building that GT insert? I could have followed your design if i can only copy your geartrack insert with thread.

Do you transport your island with the motor attached?

The insert is simply 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick by 12" long stainless steel flat bar stock with two holes drilled and tapped. Any place that sells flat bar stock (such as a hardware store) should carry it or be able to order it. It's very easy to make if you are familiar with tapping holes and have the right taps (1/4-28).

If not, this piece is just overkill. The Gear Trac GT90 system offers stainless steel track nuts which simply slide into the track. You can use those instead although one end may need to be cut or grinded down to fit, no need to tap holes.

Yes I do transport my TI with the motor mounted (in the down position). There's no way I'd want to mount and dismount it at the loading ramp. There's already enough setup involved to launch a TI, I wouldn't want to add to that. The mount is very strong and can easily withstand transporting with the motor on. However, ensure your trailer properly supports the back end of the TI under the motor so the hull is not overstressed. This can easily be done with PVC cradles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that mount looks just about perfect. Very nice work domer! 8)
I like how you have used the best ideas of the earlier mounts, particularly the raised height above the gunwale and rear deck.
It’s great to see how this mount has evolved!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

+1.
something that anyone can do since it does not involve welding.

And I will not hesitate to use this yakkatack track nut in your version bec i can have 4 or more of this track nuts.

https://www.yakattack.us/TN_1420_6_p/tn-1420-6.htm

thanks to pro10 for sharing his design and good job domr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, excellent improvements and innovations. I like the way you made it even easier to implement, especially the connection to the YakAttack track. And I like the way you eliminated the lower bar to improve access to the storage space.

Great work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next