Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakYakallday wrote:
I read or scanned through most of the posts of this topic. Learned some do's and do not's. Really want a 2.5hp motor mount and planning a version of some of the styles here. Going to use plates mounted to the gunnels for support, but wondering what is the best way to do it. Are you people just using screws, well nuts, or through bolting to a plate below? Hate to drill any hole, but.... I will not go on the ocean without a motor. If wind dies out, it would be too much to paddle/peddle current in some of the places.

Just use this. It mounts easily and is so strong you can lift the entire boat with it. It also has the advantage of being a valuable addition to the TI if you decide to sell it later without the motor mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I ever do any mods on a new boat, ( I sold mine last fall), I’m gonna use those mounts for everything, very practical for most anything I can dream up.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakYakallday wrote:
Are you people just using screws, well nuts, or through bolting to a plate below?

The outboard mount should be through bolted. I used M6 stainless channel nuts, which are a good fit in the gunwale and don't require holding with a spanner when tightening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also used the 12" Yakattack Gear Trac but opted for the tapped backing plate rather than nuts and washers. I put butyl tape under the Trac then cleaned up what squeezed out after tightening the nuts. Anti-Sieze compound on the screws. I like these so much I put one on the rear crossbar for my compass and may add them above the mesh pockets to attach other stuff to.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The yak gear won't be suitable for what I have made, but will make a backer and through hole bolt the plate I do have as soon as I build up the courage. After all its not like drilling a cheap $500 yak because who cares about that! Thanks for info.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Following the design ideas for a Hobie TI outboard motor mount from pro10is and domr.

I made a few tweaks for overall strength in ocean / offshore environments.

The main design concepts remain:
- track mount
- use of full plate under the 12 in track mount

Tweaks:
- Beefed up the Aluminum components 2" square tubing, 1/4" thick, 1 1/2" squire tubing 1/8" thick - (purpose overall strength)
- Slightly elevated mount (due to the 1 1/2" square tubing on top of the track) - (purpose keep free of waves)
- Use of six attachment points between the mount and the track - (purpose - added redundancy & strength)

Outboard: Suzuki 2.5 HP four stroke, short shaft.

Performance: Pleased with the overall results. Have about 35 hours of offshore sailing (Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, Hudson River NYC, Delaware River Port of Philadelphia). Typical speeds with 1/4 throttle are in the 5-6 mph and get about 7-8 mph with half to 3/4 throttle. Good overall duration with Suzuki internal gas tank with over 1.5 hour run time (depends on throttle level). Pleased with the power & speed especially fighting strong tidal and river currents or pushing into strong head winds. Used with all-day sails running 8-10 hours with distance traveled in the 30-40 mile range. The vibration and noise are present but less than I expected and fully bearable. The mount was sturdy under the offshore conditions - all bolts and attachments show no signs of failure or loosening.

Thanks to all the ideas posted on this thread and other threads....big help in pulling this design together.

See a few photos, a video walk around the TI outboard mount and a couple links below to sails with the outboard (mostly sailing though!).

ImageHobie Tandem Island Outboard Motor Mount by Jim Powers, on Flickr

More photos here in this flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmdYB5q1

Youtube video - TI motor mount: https://youtu.be/SUyqkqqZbkU

Youtube videos - TI undersail / power with TI motor mount and Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard:
- https://youtu.be/WrwF71p_jVA
- https://youtu.be/WAhnawtgt3U

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work!!

That mount should serve you well for the life of the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Pro10is said!
Great work PSJ, that 1/4” wall thickness is impressive as it eliminates the need for bracing. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’ve found when soloing with the outboard, moving from the rear to the front seat increases speed by up to 1/2 knot. I fitted two telescopic sections of a broken golf ball retriever I had lying around to a cut down outboard tiller extension. Makes a lightweight, easy to fit/remove telescopic throttle control that I can use from the front seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Couldn't tell from the pictures but do you have some type of a tether on that extension in case it would happen to fall overboard?

John

Variable Speed Electra Drive System Designed by: Phil Krug.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62295&p=298578#p298578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, I haven’t felt it necessary to tether John. When in use it is securely clamped to the outboard tiller and when not in use it lays across the tramp and is bungeed to the aka.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally have my mount built. Stuck out in the bay with wind dropped and a LOT of peddling and paddling got me motivated. Based largely on designs seen on this post, I just could not come up with a better design (at least with materials on hand). Can't be seen in photo, but the outboard mounting plates actually have a eight degree transom angle. Seems to work well and seems solid. Only issue is that I need to make a plastic splash guard, because if I go more than 1/2 throttle, water pours into the luggage pan. Other than that, the boat moves just fine even at low throttle (2.5hp yamaha). Found that it was easier to totally remove the 2 aft hatch covers for that extra bit of reach getting the backer plate and nuts installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good and solid YYk and professionally finished! I like what you have done with the bracing. 8)
I found (see slomo clip back on page 12 of this thread) that any mount that sits level with the gunwale gets hit by waves when conditions get up, especially when heeled over under sail. If you get the same problem, it would be easy to add a small section of the same tube as a spacer to lift that mount up above the gunwale.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work ! I like the way you did the bracing over the top also.
Is that aluminum extrusion something re-purposed or off the shelf material ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really nice setup, I really like the rails, looks like you could attach near anything/everything you can imagine up to them easily.
Stringy: all my tiller extensions, at the front I laid in top of my rear aka cross bar, (one on each side of me), I then just made a bungy loop to hold the extension down to the crossbar, really worked well, and never removed from the boat, I ran my kill switch wires up thru the middle of the extension tubes.
FE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next