Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I bought my 2.5 Suzuki about 5 years ago and it has the same "fuel pump looking thing" in Hezi's picture.

Interesting about the screw adjustment. I dont think this is related.. but if I run the outboard gas tank completely out - plus run what is in the carb out, then let the engine sit for a few months (like over the winter), it will be very hard to start. I have to use starter fluid.. which I know is bad.. but I just do it one time per year.

On the other hand, if I leave gas in the carb and tank after I get done using the outboard (Ie, do not run the gas out), it starts on one or two pulls the next time even if next time is one month later. I dont think this is ethanol gas related. Regardless, I put Seafoam in the gas and have not had any other issues with whatever gas I can get at the station (Ethanol) since using Seafoam.

I do have to leave the choke out about 1/2 for about a minute until the outboard warms up a little but it really hasnt been much of an issue.. This may have something to do with usually using that outboard at about 450 ft elevation??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Tech, thanks for the tip. I drilled it slowly and the adjustment screw revealed itself. It's a bit deep and I was hoping I'm not going to drill through w/o finding it, but there it was. I turned it half a turn counter clock per your suggestion. I think you solved my problem. This is going to be great!
BTW Walt, when I first started the motor, running it in my trash bin full of water on a cold day, I was cranking and cranking and the damn thing wouldn't start. I think it takes time for the fuel system to prime, and the lean mixture from the factory didn't help. I thought I will tear the pull cable. Even when it started, I had to push and pull the chock to keep it running and it would keep shutting down. Eventually I managed bring the motor to temperature and it kept running. It all make sense now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've previously had an electric trolling motor (56 ft/lb) on my A.I. but it just left a lot to be desired, so after doing quite a bit of research - what outboard motors people have used, I settled on the Suzuki 2.5. Originally I was thinking Honda 2.3 because of the light weight, but that's an air-cooled glorified lawn mower engine, albeit a nice product by Honda, and this Suzuki is not a whole heck of a lot heavier. Briefly considered a Honda 4, 5, or 6 but at 60+ lbs I just can't see it.

Which leads me to the mount. I designed the mount before buying the outboard. I've seen quite a few designs and none of them really "did it" for me, especially ones that use the rod holders. This is what I came up with. It's a two piece design made of nice, strong oak. 3/4 thick oak was used for all parts - I just screwed two of them together for the heavier, beefier part. I wasn't really sure about the transom angle (or the motor I'd end up using), but went with 14 degrees. Position relative to the rear aka mount was critical, too. I figured with two parts, I could make changes easily. As far as mounting to the kayak itself goes, I went with aluminum L (Home Depot sells these) attached with a bunch of (7 each side) well nuts. Two oak boards are screwed into them. To add more bracing, I simply got a thin (1/4" as I recall) piece of plywood, sanded down where it would jam under the aka brace, and screwed that onto the boards. Maybe overkill. I used stainless steel wood screws everywhere (1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2") - the star drive kind. The beefy motor mount part (1 1/2" thick) attaches with six long 7/16" diameter clevis pins (Home Depot). Should be fairly easy to remove so when I'm not going to take the motor, there's less added weight.

What's the correct way to post pictures here, anyway???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wejjrs4ngwxax/MM1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6qe3kd292nf9hg/MM2.jpg?dl=0

Paint: used marine primer and paint.

Last edited by kevinbeane on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work KB! 8)
For Dropbox pics paste the Dropbox link between the Img brackets but replace the dl=0 after the ? with raw=1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, stringy. Fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice, looks robust!!!

I think that is an AI so could be different but on the TI, a lot of mounts are raised off the coaming "a little" - maybe and inch or a little over. The reason is that when its windy with chop, the bottom section of the mount sticking out can clip off the tops of waves and you get splashed. You should try that for a while to see.. but one nice thing about what you did is that if you did want to raise the bottom a little, easy to just cut off a slice of wood on the bottom side and looks like still plenty strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow kevinbeane, Look like you can pull an elephant with your mount... One suggestion I have is to create a spoiler to deflect waves from hitting the mount and flooding your motor. I have a low mount and the transom does get hit by waves at times and lots of water is spraying the motor. I am planning to instal an angled deflector to push the water down, give some lifting effect, and more important keep the motor dry. The motor is loud, but when you're fighting currents, or when the wind dies, It's a blessing.

BTW, this weekend I went out on a 30 miles trip (point a to b). I ran the motor half of the time when the wind didn't deliver. After an hour, the motor stopped working. My extended fuel tank didn't drew gas, and I was sh1t! why didn't I go the simple way, buying 1 liter fuel canisters like most people here. I sucked out all the air on my exit line and filled up the tank and feeding line with gas. I was thinking I will have to do it every time I am running out of fuel, but passed that I had 0 issues. The motor was running for 3 hours straight and at the end of the day, my 3 gallon Suzuki marine tank I got from eBay had lots of fuel left in. I have a good 12 hours range now, even more since I never go full throttle (The difference between 100% to 75% throttle is lett than 1 MPH). At the end of the day, I think it was worth it. Water was rough at times and not dealing with several fuel stops was a good outcome for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, it's an A.I., not a T.I. Spray is something I had not considered because I have not experienced it yet. I'll probably add a deflector. There is plenty of room for one below where the motor mounts.

After posting those pictures I decided to cover the area the motor mounts to (just the taller, end area) with aluminum sheet. I don't want the motor clamp to dig into the wood, which would go through the paint and eventually lead to wood rot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On all my wood I typically vacuum bag all the wood, (basically a vacuum cleaner and a trash bag). What I do is mix 60% to 70% west epoxy with around 30% to 40% denatured alcohol and brush it onto the wood (basically saturate the wood), then put in the bag and turn the vacuum on), sometimes I do it twice if I didn't get good saturation. After vacuuming I sand and add another coat via brush, (slightly less thinned). I find if I don't do that the wood just rots quickly in a salt water enviornment. I usually make my transom boards using pressure treated lumber, (seems to last way longer). Any wood joints I always glue and screw with the same west epoxy so water can't penetrate the joint.
I suppose their are more modern and easier marine coatings out there, that's just the way I was taught to build boats by my father (old ways) and tend to stick with it, (I've built quite a few wood boats over the years, rot is your biggest enemy)
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I should have used teak like I used for my hakas. Well, whenever wood rot rears its ugly head I will redo this thing in teak.

For now, I covered the big end with aluminum sheet.

I also added a leash to the clamp bracket. I must confess ignorance on this one - in case the motor somehow drops off the transom, is the purpose of the leash to keep it from going to Davy Jones locker? I was hoping to find a cable at West Marine, but instead found this bungee type thing that will stand up to 300 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks, check my design out, just published a one minute video to YouTube, “hobie tandem motor mount Honda”.
Please feel free to critique it here, let me know if you see something I missed!
Thanks A-LOT for all the ideas and inspiration from the participants on this excellent forum!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got a link MC?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can’t seem to paste the link with this iPad, my channel is “Mcoop571”.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

heres the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1e1tCcAjUY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You will be the first one to use the scupper holes for motor mount and it looks like a good design. i think that scupper holes gets more stress when use with hobie carts and lesser when use on water. You can show the bottom view of that what you call helicopter panels so others can have a better idea of your design. i cant wait to hear the results if your testing..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next