Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, excellent improvements and innovations. I like the way you made it even easier to implement, especially the connection to the YakAttack track. And I like the way you eliminated the lower bar to improve access to the storage space.

Great work!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobies "other" engineering dept at work..

Curious if you guys who put the outboard way to the back have to get out of the seat to access the throttle/ shift/ choke. My outboard is mounted a little forward and I have nice access to all of the controls - I can even start the outboard from the seat and that is nice in some conditions. If I did this again I think I would still keep the outboard forward because of the control access. Trade-off.. the outboard is louder that close and just a little distance makes a difference.

And some of you guys have made that adjustable forward and aft.. maybe the best option!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I experimented with left vs right side mounting of the motor as far aft as possible. I found I can fully manage starting and controls with it mounted left side and aft, but had a harder time with it mounted on the right side.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

walt wrote:
Hobies "other" engineering dept at work..

Curious if you guys who put the outboard way to the back have to get out of the seat to access the throttle/ shift/ choke. My outboard is mounted a little forward and I have nice access to all of the controls - I can even start the outboard from the seat and that is nice in some conditions. If I did this again I think I would still keep the outboard forward because of the control access. Trade-off.. the outboard is louder that close and just a little distance makes a difference.

And some of you guys have made that adjustable forward and aft.. maybe the best option!

I never had any issue with accessing all the controls from the seat. I put the motor as far back as possible to keep it away from my ears.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will not be surprised to see someone eventually selling the parts and let the owner assemble it. Thats one way to avoid getting sued. Just sell the parts. There's a lot of owners who does not have time to do all these dirty work so i think theres a market for parts. Of course it should look nice when assembled, better than what we have all done and displayed here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep.. liability, warranty, and 2.5 hp is 1860 watts. The sticker on the boat says no more than 400 watts. Someone would have to sell some strange set of parts that "accidentally and just by coincidence" worked for the motor mount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boonedox might be listening and find ways to sell one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The individual parts are easy to obtain. If you're worried about cutting the bars, aluminum is soft and easy to cut with a simple jig saw or even a hand hacksaw if you don't have a metal chop saw.

These mounts can be made by almost anyone with a few basic tools.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Domer, the motor mount looks great.

Can you share the dimensions and source the black square tubing (small square tubes mounted to the track, and the large square tubes mounted on top) and dimensions / source for the wing nuts. The wing nut set up looks like it would be quick to mount and remove when needed. Any experience with the wing nuts working loose due to motor vibration.

Hobie Rev 13 2014
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The wing nuts are from YakAttack:
https://www.yakattack.us/lopro-wingknob/
They can get loose so check them periodically while in use.

The square tubing is 1" x 1" x 3/16" thick and 2" x 2" x 1/8" thick. I ordered 1' of 1" tubing and 6' of 2" tubing from McMaster-Carr.

The 1" tubing is tapped to secure the 2" tubing section on top of it. Elsewhere I used nuts. All the threads except the wing nuts have red loctite. The steel bars that slide into the track are thinner than what pro10is used, 1/4" thick I believe. I tried 3/16" but it was too thick. I tapped the steel bars and secured 1/4" threaded studs with red loctite in them, to mate with the wing nuts. While the loctite was curing, I had a nut on the stud to apply a preload to the threads.

All the hardware is 5/16-24 stainless except the wing nuts, which are 1/4-20. I had intended to use stainless steel for the bars but couldn't tap it well with what I had, so it's just steel. The rest is 6061 aluminum.

Before cutting metal I roughed this out in CAD. I ended up changing from thumb screws to wing nuts, but otherwise this is mostly correct:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like it, very elegent.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What FE Bob said ...and very detailed and impressive drawings! 8)
You’ve had no problems with the short base 2” tube (mounted to the 1” tube) distorting/twisting under power?
Must be the wall thickness?
My 2” base tubes were about half your thickness and after a couple of runs I noticed the square shape was more like a parallelogram, so I had to add bracing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't noticed any distortion but I'll keep an eye out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work! Did you use SolidWorks?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah it's solidworks. I can share the files if anyone wants them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next