Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, I don’t think I will ever hit something going backwards.. at least I hope not.. However, I did have one benefit of the leash keeping the ama from collapsing either backwards or forwards and that was when I fixed the sheer bolt out of the water. The leash kept the ama extended while I did all the little processes involved in changing the nylon bolt. It was fairly windy and choppy when I fixed things and I had the sailed rolled up. Took about seven minutes (according the video camera which accentually got left on), not that much hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

.,,though someone could sneak up and clip you from hehind. I hear that happens a lot. :lol:

Seriously, your setup makes sense and worked fine. Some of us are just averse to making new holes in the hull, especially a stressed anchor point. It all depends on your comfort level and expectations.

For example, some of us are willing to trade off folding Aka capability for improved outboard seating and storage (Hakas and tramps). The side benefit is that they also help stop or slow Aka collapses. I've sailed hard several times with my brace completely unseated, and lived to tell about it.

I prefer simplicity, when possible, just like Tony. In fact, you might say we are both "simple-minded". But I also like it when someone takes a fresh look at a common problem, and I really respect them they are willing to test it on themselves! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I appreciate being able to post ideas here and enjoy the heck out of seeing all the other mods other people make (including everyone who has posted on this thread)!!!!!

I put a sanitized version of the video back up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi0eHu5 ... load_owner which shows the TI sailing just after the sheer pin busted. The actual impact is the best part of that video but I sure didn’t want to endure all the funky comments it would have generated. FYI, the impact had nothing to do with right of way, it had to do with a nimrod (me) sailing like a teenager who just stole a car.. The TI can be a little too fun to sail..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update.. a sailing buddy (Dave Brickner) suggested stretch cord for the leash implementation and Keith also used stretch cord in his implementation so I also tried it and think I will stick with what is shown here.

The first picture shows how I often launch the TI with a trailer and using boat ramps. I have been doing this once or twice per week so I like the whole setup to be fast. I launch with both amas collapsed from the trailer and tie up to the dock, park the car, cast off, put the ama's out and then clip on the leash. The only floaty thing I have ever owned that was faster to setup and launch was my old Hobie AI. This picture is from Friday a couple days ago at 8600 ft el.

Picture below is with the leash pulled in the direction that it will work in.

Where the leash lives.. the only setup involved is simply clipping the leash when the ama are out.

edit - stretch cord beefed up - what is on the boat now