Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Tandem Island and the way the sail is rigged only the front seat can deploy and reef the sail. Is that the only way it can be rigged? Is there a way to rig the T.I. so that the person sitting in the back can deploy and reef the sail? Sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has been covered several times before. All responses appreciated. Dom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

domsilla wrote:
I have a 2011 Tandem Island and the way the sail is rigged only the front seat can deploy and reef the sail. Is that the only way it can be rigged? Is there a way to rig the T.I. so that the person sitting in the back can deploy and reef the sail? Sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has been covered several times before. All responses appreciated. Dom

Easy peasy
1. Uncleat the front mainsheet, and pull it forward until just the end knot is locked in the cleat.
2. This will enable you to pull a extra towards you through the rear cleat.
3. Tie the end of the furling line to the end of the mainsheet (I use a figure eight knot), making an endless loop.
4. You should now be able to handle the sail from the rear seat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are some other posts of folks that have run the furling line to the back seat via blocks running along the port side.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great responses. Thank you both very much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I added a wedge from harken that angles the cam. Makes it a bit easier to cleat/uncleat from the back seat. I too do the sheet line tied to the furing line as suggested in the thread

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zB7HdJR3zg this is my TI and you can see how i changed the controls to the rear seat, works really well for me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Carl M wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zB7HdJR3zg this is my TI and you can see how i changed the controls to the rear seat, works really well for me

CarlM, unable to get your video to play either inline or on YouTube. Is it just me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

scc wrote:
Carl M wrote:

CarlM, unable to get your video to play either inline or on YouTube. Is it just me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worked ok for me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Worked for me.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Worked on my laptop. Not sure why no luck on iOS Tapatalk or Safari/Youtube. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

Carl M, nice video. What is the function of the red lines from your rear akas to the cam cleats on the hull?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was curious about those too. Are they part of a barber hauler set up?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CarlM: also, i'm not sure if you have a 2015 model or not, but I noticed [in your video] that your seats look different and sturdy. Is that the 2015 seat, or did you change them? If changed, what are they?

Nice video - - Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks guys it was my first video, the orange lines you see are what i believe is called a barber, the line runs from the cleat that you can see, out to the end of the aka, through a 29mm soft mount block that is tied to the aka, then hooked on the cleat with a hook just like the main sheet has, when i want to use it all i do is unfurl the sail all the way, pull the sail to me and hook the barber hook into the eye of the main sheet hook, then i can control the main sail shape with both the main sheet and the barber..

I hope this makes sense to everyone, Please note that i would never use it in strong winds due to the fact i cant depower the sail fast enough to be safe, and from my experience when the winds are high its not needed, in the last part of the video i was hitting 13MPH..

I almost forgot, it is a 2015 so it does have the better seats.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
domsilla wrote:

Easy peasy
1. Uncleat the front mainsheet, and pull it forward until just the end knot is locked in the cleat.
3. Tie the end of the furling line to the end of the mainsheet (I use a figure eight knot), making an endless loop.

Tony - I'm trying to figure this out but don't understand step 3. I can't figure out how I'm tieing the furling line to the mainsheet. Do you have a pic or video?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CaptainFlint wrote:
tonystott wrote:
domsilla wrote:

Easy peasy

Tony - I'm trying to figure this out but don't understand step 3. I can't figure out how I'm tieing the furling line to the mainsheet. Do you have a pic or video?

Thanks!

It's really simple Cap'n... as Tony says, just tie the two ends together... using 'any' knot. The whole process goes like this worded slightly differently so hope it sheds light on what you're aiming to achieve?

Uncleat the main sheet from both the front and rear cleats, then pull the main (from the rear cleat) as if you were tensioning the sail. This will strip the main through the 'whole' system - STOP before the end comes out of the 'front' cleat - then tie a knot in it and cleat it off (at the front cleat) to prevent it coming out as you will only be operating it from the back seat.
Next take the end of the furling line, and the end of the main sheet (which is now as long as it can possible be) and tie them together (at the end). The only reason to do this is so that the large 'loop' of line will be available whether the sail is furled fully or out fully so that you can grab any part of the continuous loop of line and either unlleat the main or the furling drum or both?

I know a picture paints a thousand words, but I'm afraid I'm stuck out in the middle of the North Sea of the UK coast on a gas platform and too far away from my TI...

H