Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anybody tried makng tramps with a more open mesh or even netting?

I'm thinking about something that would not catch the wind so much when it's really howling.

For comfort on netting or really-open mesh, I'm thinking a boogie board loosely attached....

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

good question.. hope someone replys. I used to sail a Hobie 14 with a mesh tramp and it was still scary at times in higher winds. Do a search on tramps and capsize here. A lot of my sailing is at high elevation (8000 to over 9000 ft) and things change very fast so tramps for me are pretty much out of the picture. If I lived somewhere with lighter more consistent winds, I would have them. I think this is the reason a lot of people like the Haka bench which looks to me to have a much higher wind range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're fat like me ;) and you hike out on the windward tramp then you pretty much take the tramps out of the picture when it comes to wind. It was pretty effective for me today in 15-20+ mph winds.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I was ever worried about tipping over was in a sudden thunderstorm in Sarasota bay with 35mph wind and 5ft washing machine chop. The waves were too steep and if I hit them from the side the boat was trying to capsize, I had to hike out on the tramp to keep from capsizing. If I had not had the tramps and was trapped in the seat I would have capsized for sure. I was able to ride it out going down wind only, I couldn't turn upwind, and even if I could there was no way to make headway up wind against that much wind, and it was pretty important not to be broadside to the wind because of the steep waves. On a TI in any wind over 25mph it's impossible to sail upwind anyway. So all you can really do is ride it out downwind until the wind subsides. Sometimes in those conditions it's best not to make for shore unless you want to break up on the shoreline where the waves are twice as big.
I try very hard to stay out of those conditions. At least around here if it gets intense like that, it's just short duration (30 minutes tops as the thunderhead passes).
That's another reason I have twin big powerful outboards on my rig, when I get caught out I can get out of dodge quickly and get to safety before the main storm hits. I've been caught out in that kind of stuff offshore too often.
I really don't think the boat is designed for those conditions and you shouldn't be out there. I've had the beegeevies scared out of me too many times now, and anymore I just stay home if the wind is over 7mph.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A bit old post and I did buy the normal tramps.....

But I did look at cargo nets (straps) for tramps (just too much work to make them fit and I hike out anyway), strong enough and zero wind catching (but you do get wet).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is just my opinion of course, if your AMA goes completely underwater, think about it you have a giant 90 sq ft sheet high up in the air tryin to blow you over, your already screwed, that tiny tramp area catching a tiny bit of wind isn’t going to effect the outcome, your already screwed. It’s better to furl the main in a turn or two more so you don’t get into that situation in the first place. Besides, a totally buried AMA creates huge drag. On all our boats if I’m going pretty fast and one ama goes completely under, it always takes out my aka sheer bolt anyway, (water force), then I gotta stop and replace the nylon bolt.
My opinion is you have about a 1% chance of your tramp flipping the boat, not worth worrying about in my opinion.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

prettig wrote:
But I did look at cargo nets (straps) for tramps (just too much work to make them fit and I hike out anyway), strong enough and zero wind catching (but you do get wet).

Having more time than common sense, I went the DIY route with 1.5" webbing:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... JaRW5TYzBR

Not pretty, but it's been through a couple of seasons and is holding up well.

In fact, I liked it well enough that I put the same sort of thing on my light-air boat:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... dTWEZfRXVB

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool ....... light, strong and will never catch wind and no need to hike out in high winds. Like it.