Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Love my 2015 TI but would really like to find a simple way to reinforce the tramps to avoid dipping my butt cheeks into our cold lake water here in OR.
Has anyone come up with a simple mod to the tramps to reinforce them? I'm about 225 lbs which is slightly over the recommended weight so perhaps that's a factor.

A switch to hakas might be in my future, but I do like the tramps and would really like to find a way to make them work.

~BoP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe fusioneng has strung about 5 pieces of 700# paracord from front to rear aka underneath the tramps to re-enforce his.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One thing I did was replace the aluminum rod with an aluminum tube. Does not flex near as much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea thats what we did, we are scuba divers and get on the tramps with full tanks and weights on all the time, I'm pretty sure we are well over 300 lbs each wallowing around on the tramps, and at times there are two of us on one tramp getting our fins and mask on. Yea we have a regular ladder connected between the rear handle and the outside of the rear AKA brace to climb on board, but we hardly ever use that, most of us just climb onto the AMA, then slide up on the tramp. A lot of times just snorkling I have a couple people sitting on the AMA's (when snorkeling just off shore down in key west we often have 5-6 people snorkeling off the TI, ( espially during lobster season) It's kind of our mother ship, and we have a 4 person inflatable dingy that we tow behind us, sometimes with a couple inflatable kayaks hanging onto the dingy.
What I did was tie a cinch knot on one end of some 700 lb 3/16 parachord, then looped it around the front AKA bar, I had to burn 5 small holes into the underside of the tramp and install brass eyelets for the paracord to go thru. I then bought 10 small stainless S hooks (west marine (they were like a buck or so ea). I then slid out the 3/8 dia fiberglass rod on the tramp and slid 1 S hook next to each strap location, I also looped the paracord from the front AKA around the 3/8 rod one turn leaving the loose end dangle about a foot or so (each paracord line starts out around 7 feet btw).

Now you just lace up the tramp just like normal pulling the straps as tight as you can (try to do all this at aprox the same outside temps you normally use the boat in (the whole boat grows and shrinks according to the temps (just fyi).
BTW you want the open end of the S hooks pointing down so they can't catch on your swim suit (could be embarrassing, pointing up with super models on board (lol)).
Now you take that 1 ft of extra paracord and wrap it around the rear AKA bar pulling it as tight as you can, now you tie another small cinch knot on the remaining end and slip it over the SHook. You might have to redo it a times to get it just right. It needs to be tight, but not too tight so you can still slip it off the Shook at the end of the day.
Most of the time if I go out alone or we don't plan to be walking around on the tramps I just leave all the S-hooks un-done and dangling, I might latch one just in case.
When we plan to be on the tramps (we often go out with 4 adults on board), I'm sure to latch all the S-hooks. The tramps sag much less and could concievably support 5x 700 lbs = 3500 lbs but the aka's only support maybe 450 lbs before folding, and the flotation on the AMA is only about 350 lbs at best. We also have super heavy duty spray skirts fit up for the boat that you could sit in if you wanted to, but we seldom use the rear spray skirts (only when the water is very cold and rough offshore in the winter), The spray skirt setup looks just like the setup on a Windrider 17 (where I got the idea), just look at one and copy it (lol).
If your planning to sit on the AMA's you kind of need to add a small length of 700 lb test spectra line (aka...Hobie rudder line) to each AMA bungy so the bungy can only stretch and drop maybe an inch or two, then the spectra stops the AMA from falling off (probably a good idea to do that regardless, I've had my AMA's fall off a few times).
I made a post and video a while back on how to harden your TI, all the stuff I mentioned is all detailed in that video on this forum somewhere.
I walk around on my tramps all the time now at boat docks and launches. No matter how you do it though the TI is always a wet ride.
Hope this helps
FE