Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got a gopro so have been doing some videos. This is one of my motor mount that I built. Standard Halibu77 rig but using Pat R. cross member Scotty mounts to make it more stable with less pressure on the molded in rod holders and putting all the torque on the cross member which is the best place for it. I also generally only use the single outrigger versus the full Adventure Island because the outboard only is much more effective. The stability is awesome 3-5 swells no problem and the set-up/take down is a lot less.

The first video is about the motor mount and different rigging configurations.

The second is unloading, rigging, and car topping,

Have some videos dealing with primarily fishing in the Florida Keys/Key West on my youtube channel.
Key West Kayak Fishing https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup you have, most people don't realize just how vast the area around key west and the keys really is, not even mentioning the really strong currents, and the many shallow areas, narrow channels, and coral heads everywhere (your prop looks just like my props (scratched up a bit). We have a yellow TI and try to get down there every month or so (we have a place there). You can't miss my rig with the twin Honda 2.3's and the big ole wing jib, If I see you out I'll swing by and say hey. Your blue adventure Island is very rare, I only know of one other one. We are mostly divers, so we mostly spear fish (so we can pick from the menu (lol), I'll be honest though we are not all that good at spear fishing but boy do we always have a blast, and usually stop at Eaton st fish market on the way home (their fish dip is the best I have had).
Not many AI/TI's down there though, one of the local deals told me AI/TI's are a pretty hard sell down there because of the vastness.
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You hit the nail on that one. I try to emphasize the lack of kayak fishing in what would seem like a world class destination. It is such a vast area and the prime locations being the reef @ 5-6 miles and the same for the outer edge of the Gulf, it tends to be out of range for a comfortable kayaking day, not to mention the safety aspects of being so far away from land. Hopefully I'll see you out on the reef some time.

S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, I know you, I'm a subscriber to your you Tube channel & It's one of my top favorite fishing channels on You Tube, the scenery there, clear blue water etc. are beautiful, & the fishing is obviously great there also for someone who knows what they're doing.
Something I also appreciate about your show is the maintenance & repair videos on the Suzuki 2.5
I have a Hobie A.I. & I'm not very mechanically inclined, but your videos have given me the courage & confidence to order one of the motors, the only problem I'm having is getting the Scottie cross bar mounts.
I went to North Cal. Kayak Anglers & tried to get in touch with Pat R. to see if he still has them for sale, but so far have not been able to get in touch with him, & the few posts on the site that I found are 3-4 years old.
Do you know how I can get in touch with him or perhaps order them from someone else? My time fishing would be a whole lot better & more productive if I had a set up like yours, & the only thing I'll be lacking (once my motor arrives) is a solid motor mount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Striperhound2 wrote:
Hey, I know you, I'm a subscriber to your you Tube channel & It's one of my top favorite fishing channels on You Tube, the scenery there, clear blue water etc. are beautiful, & the fishing is obviously great there also for someone who knows what they're doing.
Something I also appreciate about your show is the maintenance & repair videos on the Suzuki 2.5
I have a Hobie A.I. & I'm not very mechanically inclined, but your videos have given me the courage & confidence to order one of the motors, the only problem I'm having is getting the Scottie cross bar mounts.
I went to North Cal. Kayak Anglers & tried to get in touch with Pat R. to see if he still has them for sale, but so far have not been able to get in touch with him, & the few posts on the site that I found are 3-4 years old.
Do you know how I can get in touch with him or perhaps order them from someone else? My time fishing would be a whole lot better & more productive if I had a set up like yours, & the only thing I'll be lacking (once my motor arrives) is a solid motor mount.

You do realize that this post was over seven years ago. Since then, there have been a lot of improvements to the designs of TI/AI motor mounts not to mention the advent of excellent electric motors that can completely replace gas outboards for the TI/AI. All of this information is available on this forum for your consideration.

I suggest you start here:

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

Torqeedo 403 Ultralight Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide