Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI / TI Cabin?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone, new TI owner here! I've been reading up on the long list of projects/modifications for islands and have been coming up with some ideas of my own.

When I was deciding which boat to buy, what I really wanted was a sailing cruiser that did not have to worry about draft, had no maintenance or storage fees, and was affordable. In short, I had unrealistic expectations :-). I live in Tokyo Japan where any kind of boat storage/berthing costs upwards of $500 USD/mo. The TI came closest to fitting the bill so I went ahead and ordered one, but the thing that is still missing, in my eyes, is some sort of weather protection (sun/rain). Also, I just like the feeling of being inside of a boat rather than sitting on top of it.

This got the old engineering brain going. I've seen an example of an extended dodger for an AI, various spray skirt designs, a few bimini designs, etc. It seems that I might not be the only one with these sort of thoughts.

Included in my long list of past hobbies was recumbent cycling. In recumbent cycling, there is a sort of sub-circle of enthusiasts who build/use custom fiberglass enclosures. I'm wondering why I haven't seen such a thing for the AI/TI. Wouldn't it be possible to build a rigid one that maybe connected at the aka mounting point? I imagine such a thing would have much in common with the ones built for cycling, except it might need more emphasis on the ability to bail out in a capsize.

Am I totally crazy here? Should I consider doing such a project? I'm thinking a fiberglass dodger with a roof and a polycarbonate forward/side window, but with open sides and an open rear for bailing out or exiting to the trampolines. Maybe the sides or rear could have some sort of removable cloth cover.

Post subject: Re: AI / TI Cabin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Vortex,

Where in TOK are you? We lived in Hiro back in the 90s. We loved it.

We've got tramps and a spray skirt, and I've mounted hakas now on our TI. I was keen to buy/build a dodger at first but one of the more experienced owners suggested that we get some dry gear to start, instead. (The boat is meant to be a wet ride.) I'm likely to be out on a haka when the wind is blowing and the spray is up so the clothing option has worked well for us.

Enjoy your TI - they are fun!

Post subject: Re: AI / TI Cabin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Three years ago I posted a topic with the headline "A car box as a small cabin/deck house for the TI?" viewtopic.php?f=69&t=47518

It is certainly not exactly what you are asking for, but perhaps it can give you some good ideas. I would however go for other solutions now.

Being shielded while sailing/peddling is not my big priority. I am more interested in protection from various things when I dont sail.