Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's harder to mount or get to the rod holders on a Tandem Island. Here's the H-Rail system. Complete with Fugoo sound system that drops in behind the chair and the GPS and compass behind the front seat. The H-Rail is a very good and strong system and gives you something to grab as well. Not suitable for the Adventure Islands, it's just too big. You can add also sorts of accessories to it and the great thing is you can simply unclip it all when finished fishing.

Good solution for the Tandems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is awesome, did you fabricate that yourself? I have a Fugoo speaker as well which I love but last year I used the strap mount which worked ok but ended up breaking. I see they have an h-rail mount but don't think it would fit on the aka's or cross bars. I'm not sure the official h-rail mount is really worth it though since it costs $50. That seems nuts to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chuckw44 wrote:
That is awesome, did you fabricate that yourself? I have a Fugoo speaker as well which I love but last year I used the strap mount which worked ok but ended up breaking. I see they have an h-rail mount but don't think it would fit on the aka's or cross bars. I'm not sure the official h-rail mount is really worth it though since it costs $50. That seems nuts to me.

This is the best place I have found for the Fugoo, I took their clip mount and bolted a Railblaza plug to it. Now it plugs directly into the new H-Rail Railblaza fitting. It's out of the way and sounds great. The parts used are on the link below. I know their mounts are a bit expensive but they are very tough and secure. I still secure it with a leash.

http://www.seqic.com.au/essential-hobie-island-gear/fugoo-tough-xl/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the strap mount which looks like what you have, the part that clips to the speaker broke on one side so it is no longer secure. I wonder if they will replace it under warranty since it cost $30 and lasted a few months.

I agree the speaker sounds great, almost as good as my Bose which cost about the same but is not waterproof of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice, my rails will be here tomorrow, cant wait to get them installed

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Speaker rocks and you can answer the phone on the water. Blows people away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to add the H-rails to my tandem as well but would like them near the front since that is where my butt is plated most of the time. I'm not sure though if they would fit on the sides at the front because of the indentation and dagger board. Rprince, where are planning to install yours? What size did you get?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

do the H rails come in a kit with one size rail that you cut to length and does it come with one rail or two? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

they sell the rails in 2 different size kits, 9" and 21". I found them on the Austin kayak site.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got both sizes coming and I am planning on putting them front and rear. If the 21 is to long it can be trimmed to fit.

Rick P.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that was a long night, just got in from workimg on the rails, these things are great!
I first mounted gear tracks with backing plates in the areas that I wanted the rails, than I mounted the rails to the gear track. I mounted 21" on each side of the rear seat. (This will allow me to mount tne vantage seat on my 2014).
Using the gear track gives me several options i can reposition the rails or take them off if needed.
I got so excited to get them mounted I forgot to check how the will fit up front. That will be tomorrows project.

Once i get everything done i will get some pics or video.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's interesting, mounting a rail system to another rail system. it will be cool when you get some pics up because I am thinking of ordering myself. I am wondering if those rails will hinder movement on and off the tramps which is something we do all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chuckw44 wrote:
That's interesting, mounting a rail system to another rail system. it will be cool when you get some pics up because I am thinking of ordering myself. I am wondering if those rails will hinder movement on and off the tramps which is something we do all the time.

Yes, I figured this way I could remove them or change thier position slightly. It was alot more expensive doing it this was but I think it will be better in the long run. Just more options for the swiss army knife of boats. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rprince wrote:
Wow, that was a long night, just got in from workimg on the rails, these things are great!
I first mounted gear tracks with backing plates in the areas that I wanted the rails, than I mounted the rails to the gear track. I mounted 21" on each side of the rear seat. (This will allow me to mount tne vantage seat on my 2014).
Using the gear track gives me several options i can reposition the rails or take them off if needed.
I got so excited to get them mounted I forgot to check how the will fit up front. That will be tomorrows project.

Once i get everything done i will get some pics or video.

Rick

Can you show us pics when your done, this system is so new and not meant for what we are doing with it but i love it. I have seen it up forward on an island and it's just too big but the Tandems are perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will get some pics as soon as i can. Its been a little crazy around here. Im hoping to get back to work on it tomorrow night.
I mounted them right along the rear seat. It worked out perfect with the vantage seat sitting on the deck.
To support the front of the seat I just ran a cam buckle strap from rail to rail. I am around 150lbs (not sure if it would work for a heavy wieght)
The rails give some added security, an oh sh@# handle :)
Rick