Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI2 Motor Mount?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone made up a motor mount for their AI2 yet?

I have the one I made for my 2011 AI but with the crossbar being right behind the seat on the AI2, I will need a different design as it will interfere with the seat.

Here is the mount on my old AI

Post subject: Re: AI2 Motor Mount?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good idea.

Inexpensive, simple and effective.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simpler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xa-XJ5G9vU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f-Ojs2bUs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That one is ok for electric motors Tom, but I'm not sure it would be practicable for a Honda 4 stroke outboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I might look at something like Bob's design on his TI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John_h wrote:
That one is ok for electric motors Tom, but I'm not sure it would be practicable for a Honda 4 stroke outboard.

John, how much thrust does the electric motor have?

I have taken a different path, having built a substantial haka for my TI (to cope with my substantial weight), so decided to add a motor mount for my 24lb Watersnake. The core of the mount is only 2 inches square. I am a bit cautious about the rotational moment from the prop, so am taking a cue from fusioneng, and adding a "thrust brace" dyeema line running down at about a 45 degree angle from the rear. (photo is before finalisation... mount is sandwiched between the two layers of the haka.
Not sure if my mount is too flimsy, or yours is too substantial :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The motor mount is to take a Honda 4 stroke, although it will be used for an electric for local "electric only" waters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I wouldn't put an outboard on my mount mainly due to the weight. A more substantial unit such as what you did would indeed be better for an outboard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

THANK YOU, John H. I saw your photos of the motor mount and copied it. Been wanting to do a motor mount for quite some time and when I saw yours I was all over it. It works flawlessly. For holding it secure I use a single shock cord with a knot near the bottom of the board opposite the motor side that goes down around the cross brace, then up to the top of the wood that has a narrow slot to pull the shock down where another knot catches in the slot. The other thing I did was laminate where the motor sits with 1/4 marine plywood on either side. I also omitted the two screws through the horizontal PVC. I sprayed the whole thing black. Currently I am using a Minn Kota 30 lb thrust, ($99.00 at Wal-Mart!). It runs off a full size marine battery. I am wondering if there is a better, lighter option that people are using. Seems I read somewhere that wheel chair batteries are good. Anybody know how long my trolling motor will run on one of those?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JohnH:
There is a little more to my motor mount than what it appears. The pvc tubing is filled with epoxy in the area around the 1/2 alum rods. I also depend on spectra string mounted from the lower unit of the motor (above the waterline) mounted to the two rudder bungy cleats near the back of the boat to take all the rotational stress (which is a lot). Been running same moto mount setup for 6 yrs now with no issues.
Simple, cheap,and easy to make, (under an hour to build it with just a cordless drill and hacksaw).
I'm pretty sure it was under $25 bucks in materials.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dougDNer wrote:
THANK YOU, John H. I saw your photos of the motor mount and copied it.

Thanks but I can't take credit for the design. I copied that off fellow forum member cowsgomoo, who unfortunately passed away not too long ago. It was a really effective design to mount my Honda outboard on my old AI-1.

It's a pity I can't reuse it on my AI-2.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
JohnH:
There is a little more to my motor mount than what it appears. The pvc tubing is filled with epoxy in the area around the 1/2 alum rods. I also depend on spectra string mounted from the lower unit of the motor (above the waterline) mounted to the two rudder bungy cleats near the back of the boat to take all the rotational stress (which is a lot). Been running same moto mount setup for 6 yrs now with no issues.
Simple, cheap,and easy to make, (under an hour to build it with just a cordless drill and hacksaw).
I'm pretty sure it was under $25 bucks in materials.
FE

Hi Bob, I'm glad you popped into this thread. I have a couple of questions, if I may.

Do the "legs" of your mount go all the way to bottom of the rod holders?

How do you prevent the mount from leaning and wobbling with the motor on it?

Perhaps the pvc pipe you have there is a tight fit? The metric pvc pipe we have here has an outside diameter of 42mm while the inside of the rod holders is 46mm. So there is fair bit of play.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My pvc is also a little loose, I just took some clear silicone and beaded it around the pvc pipe in 3 bead, I then wrapped Saran plastic wrap around the pvc, then just jammed it into the hole. It takes a day or so for it to setup, but once dry it's really durable. After it's setup and dry you can remove the saran wrap.
The spectra string pulls tight when the motor is tilted down so there is no rocking motion. For a while I had spectra string (the grey Hobie rudder cord (which is like 500lb break and zero stretch), Also tied to the middle top of the motor mount then attached to the bungy cleats just behind the rear seat, but they didn't seem to do anything so I removed them. I have twin Honda 2.3hp motors on the boat, they weigh 27 lbs ea. You can't tell they are back there at all (in the scheme of things 50 extra lbs in a TI doesn't mean much at all, the boat easily handles the extra weight, and doesn't effect performance at all when tilted up.
I haven't had a lick of problems with any of it and I put a lot of miles on the boat, we often do 50-60 miler day trips with the boat. I always carry 200 miles of fuel on board, (and 2-3 days of water) just in case I get blown out to sea again.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Bob, good idea with the silicon on the legs