Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Railblaza have just released a Kayak Motor Mount rated for outboards up to 2.5 HP and hence perfect for the Honda 2.3
https://www.railblaza.com/products/kayak-motor-mount/

I also noticed Viking Kayaks have also released the Railblaza Mount with extra brackets for motor support
http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/accessories/parts+%26+hardware/motor+bracket+8663

I was wondering on people’s thoughts of this out of the box solution and in particular what bracing they would recommend for a Hobie Island with a Honda 2.3 HP. I'm also thinking it would be a good idea to use backing plates so the Kayak PE hull can be sandwiched between the plate and starport.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love Railblaza components but this would not be one of them. Railblaza components are just not rugged enough to use as support for a motor mount. Short term it may work, but long term it's a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with CR.
Also it looks like the OB mounting plate hangs down too low for Islands. Any part lower than the top of the gunwale will catch waves. Much better to be above the gunwale if possible. 50mm/2" above works well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great concept, poor execution. The mount is going to put the motor too low in the water. Even now, relying on those plastic pieces looks marginal, but if extra height is needed, the forces will increase enough to require considerable bracing at least.

But Railblaza have shown that they don't rest on their laurels, so I would expect Mkii to be heaps better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The HD ports "should" have the shear strength for a small trolling motor. Unlocking due to vibration might become an issue. There are 4 locks to keep track of.

Depending on the motor clamping points, It looks like it could be cut higher or even reversed/braced to add clearance. I'm sure someone will noodle with this.

Anyone know the price?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The price in Europe is ~ $220.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
The HD ports "should" have the shear strength for a small trolling motor. Unlocking due to vibration might become an issue. There are 4 locks to keep track of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwzIuGEeiM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pounce wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

I am a huge fan of Railblaza, and have four Starports on my TI, but that test ignores the consequences of adding the necessary height to raise the motor sufficiently. Even a small extension in height would drastically reduce the failure point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pounce wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Yup. That's the one I was thinking of. They didn't publish the HD port results, but it should be even more secure. The real test for me would be if I could pick up and drag the kayak by this thing.

Blaza says this:
Then we thought, because of the diversity of our mounts people use them in so many different ways, so we need a disclaimer that says it is impossible for us to say what the maximum loads are that can be applied in any given situation, but we have published some safe maximum static loads HERE. The maximum load in your situation may be much less than the maximum static load quoted on this sheet.

I agree, they need better bracing. What I wouldn't trust right now is the small, flimsy padeye connection near the waterline, which provides some lateral support but will be the first thing to go in an impact.

I hope they will come up with a version better suited to the Islands, which allows for heeling and balanced motor/sailing. I know guys who would like that. Some of our FADS are 10 miles offshore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU, I think we both agree that we are hoping that Railblaza will evolve the motor mount into something really dependable and solid for our Islands. Their track record is excellent, so I believe it is just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
pounce wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

I am a huge fan of Railblaza, and have four Starports on my TI, but that test ignores the consequences of adding the necessary height to raise the motor sufficiently. Even a small extension in height would drastically reduce the failure point.

To be fair I don't think the test "ignores" anything. Its just one test and wasn't specific to the motor mount product.

I agree that this product has a number of complex variables in static form alone. Add flex of the hull, water and impacts at speed and who knows...

If I were to engineer it I'd probably over engineer it out of habit and there would end up being more mounting points or a ladder rail instead of a single beam. That would be a mess. Curious to see how it holds up in practice. They seem to know the business pretty well I assume they aren't huge risk takers.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone used one of these units ? I just picked up a Newport Vessel 36lb motor to replace a 24 Watersnake that I ruined (stupid mistake). The new one is much heavier than the WS and I'm not sure my PVC homemade holder can handle this, even if double braced. I have a Revo13.