Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Started off with a simple idea using pvc, a 2x6 board, and u-bolts, painted it with black rubber dip paint...

See how it would fit and look on the bars...

added two aluminum clamps, two rubber couplings, and two Scottie mounts...

Motor mount update, well the motor mount was a success. Just had to make some minor adjustments to it. First adjustment was to lock down the two scotty mounts that are resting on the main back bar. I used gear clamps and dipped them in plastic dip to keep corrosion off them. The second adjustment i made was to cut 3/4 inch on the 2x6 board so the motor would sit deeper in the water. The motor makes the 2016 AI really fly on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

An updated pic of the finished product ...

Here is what it looks like rigged out with fish...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really nice looking setup.
I found on my setup mounting the motor as close to the hull as possible helps. I also tilted my motors slightly inward so the props are kind of under the hull a little, (in my case one motor on each side of the boat for balance).
To counteract the motors being slightly tilted (around 5 deg), I add a little extra oil into the engine (synthetic mobile 1), just to be cautious.
Since moving the motors inward and tilting them slightly I have had no issues with cavitation when the boat tilts when on different tacks.
Fortunately you can really hear when the props are cavitating (very loud and you lose power), so if it's happening you know it.
If your props are not cavitating currently when on a heavy tack currently, It's probably not worth the effort to make any changes at all (the mod only prevents cavitation, and maybe just a very slight improvement in steering, nothing else).
FE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Really nice looking setup.
I found on my setup mounting the motor as close to the hull as possible helps. I also tilted my motors slightly inward so the props are kind of under the hull a little, (in my case one motor on each side of the boat for balance).
To counteract the motors being slightly tilted (around 5 deg), I add a little extra oil into the engine (synthetic mobile 1), just to be cautious.
Since moving the motors inward and tilting them slightly I have had no issues with cavitation when the boat tilts when on different tacks.
Fortunately you can really hear when the props are cavitating (very loud and you lose power), so if it's happening you know it.
If your props are not cavitating currently when on a heavy tack currently, It's probably not worth the effort to make any changes at all (the mod only prevents cavitation, and maybe just a very slight improvement in steering, nothing else).
FE

I did the same with the motor oil. Use all synthetic oil even the gear oil. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice looking mount (nice catch, too!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

how fast can you motor now?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jacksonbigtuna wrote:
how fast can you motor now?

Well as you may not know, I got the motor not for the speed, I got the motor mainly so that I would not have to "tac". I use the motor offshore fishing, and when I have a destination planned, I like to go in a straight line there.

The motor can go up to speeds of 8 and some times with the right currents and winds 9.5 mph. I like to use the motor in the lower speeds of like 5.5 to 6mph to consume less gas. Plus I like those speeds on the AI, IMO speeds faster than 7mph will result in a wet ride due from splashing.

I also use the motor while sailing in a down wind, we call it "motor sailing" :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jacksonbigtuna:

I use my motors the same way as livingwaters. I have twin Honda 2.3 outboards mounted on my TI. When at full throttle the motors are very loud, so I never run the engines at any higher than 1/4 throttle, they are very quiet at very low throttle, and you get 2-3 hrs of run time per tank of fuel at very low throttle (1 qt fuel tanks on the motor). We can easily talk over the noise of the motors, because they have underwater exhaust they are extremely quiet at very low throttle.

Actually I usually start the motors when I go out and just leave them run all the time I'm out, when I'm not using them I just leave them idle. I pretty much only powersail, and always pedal 100% of the time anyway.
Keep in mind I typically only go out in winds under 7 mph and flat water (I have a really bad back , and can't stand the waves). If you have ever had your boat out tryin to sail in 5mph wind, you know the sail just lays there and flops around providing no propulsion at all, and I can peddle around 2mph, that's why I powersail.
I used to go out every weekend and try to peddle 15 miles per week (my exercise program for the last 6 yrs), lol makes for a long day out in 100 deg florida heat goin around at 2mph. Now I get my 15 peddling miles done in a couple hrs.
just FYI, agreement with wife 6 yrs ago, in order to buy the boat, I had to promise to pedal the boat 15 miles a week as my exercise program. I held my terms of the agreement as written, and show the wife my gps track every week. She never specified any rules, so I cheat by all means possible. (lol).

We also use the TI as our family boat, and often do 50-60 mile adventure day sails with it, we also use it a lot in open ocean off key west (we are scuba divers), so it's rigged and hardened to handle pretty much anything, and cover great distances. Definately not a stock TI
FE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any suggestions about how high I should mount a Suzuki short shaft?