Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wet behind, sitting in a puddle in the Adventure Islander?

Was browsing at a West Marine store & saw a Attwood Marine Corp. 'centric saltwater folding seat' & took one home to try on my Adventure Island. Molded plastic seat with snap off saltwater upholstery, white or camo color.

So... here goes: Took the AI seat out and the folding Attwood seat, with a rounded molded plastic bottom, fit like a glove into the AI seat recess, just drop it in, no mods necessary. Went out for a sail. VERY comfy with padded backrest, experience was dry and water drained out below easily in light wind then on bigger waves later. Of course some water sprayed on the seat but it did not pool there. It was also easier to peddle the Mirage drive because u sit up straighter another 3 or 4 inches or so & peddle more downward.

You can easily strap or bungee the seat 'waist' to the aka bar behind it if desired, or just drop the seat in.
The seat is narrow enough so it does not interfere with the steering lever and it barely overlaps the hatch in front of it but you can tilt the seat up slightly while sitting on it and no problem there either. I don't see any problems with the seat at all other than the price, but it's a quality, most comfortable, seat that seems just made for the AI @ about $200.

Problem solved.

Perhaps Hobie could work out a deal with Attwood to provide the seat or mold one like it for the AI?

Here's the seat:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... upholstery

Last edited by wightcap on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great find! i may just have to see how this fits in the TI. Amazon has them for $163.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any pics of that seat on your AI Wightcap?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have some pictures, cannot seem to upload....how to?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wightcap—Hobie Forums do not “host” images, so you must first store your images on an “image (picture) hosting site.” Many people use Photobucket.com which provides fairly generous free storage to place your pictures. I've given detailed, step-by-step instructions at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=237495#p237495 Scroll down to "Including Pictures (Images) in Your Hobie Forum Post."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great find! I've been struggling to make my seat more comfortable for a few years now. I just ordered the black/camo version. Does the seat shift around much with just the one bungee cord holding it in place?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wightcap, can you elaborate further on your use of this seat or any updates?
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for updates as well. As someone else asked, does the seat shift around? I am tired of sitting in water. I wish hobie would endorse something like this, or come out with a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's now come down to three choices of seats. The Atwood Centric SAS (same dimensions, just padded with a spring bottom) $259. The Elite Seat Jackson $109. Or the Browning Camping Woodland Ultimate Turkey and Predator Hunting Chair $39. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. For secure seating in a TI, backseat, some modifications will be required, which chair requires the fewest mods. All I want is to get up off the yak further and comfortable in order to stand up and move around easier. I don't like sitting so low in the current stock version, is a pain to get up out of that well.
Or I could go with the standard Tempress chair as I did in my AI. Not so crazy about the comfort of that chair.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bump on the Attwood thread, waiting to hear from others with their experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This seat fits/drops right in to the seat area, no modifications are necessary. Been using it sailing...Just right for the Islanders, very comfortable, not confining, GOOD HIGHER BACK SUPPORT was a bonus, folds up for storage. $153-$200 in the West Marine stores or on-line. Almost no shifting around while sitting, it's stable.

The plastic bottom of the seat so far does not mar the plastic Islander seat recess (was considering putting a sponge or small towel under it at first to prevent scratching the AI plastic but found that was not necessary).

Sometimes I bungee it in, other times strap and click it in. Actually u can probably just drop it in if you are in a situation where there is no chance of it floating away in a large washout or catastrophe. The seat does not move around much at all as it just happens to fit well without blocking the water outlets below. When using the AI as a kayak I use the standard Hobie seat, which is lower, when in smoother water and the water will not come over the sides. For sailing the Attwood seat puts you above any water in the seat well so we just remove the scupper plugs below and the water runs out.

Recommend it, Very happy with it, just right for the boat , lucked out by chance this time. Worth a try, Guess you can return it once you try one out if desired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much does it weigh?
If you lean back into the seat, what happens? Are you then leaning against the aka brace? Does the front half of the seat angle up then?
Can you access the plastic frame to drill holes if you did want to secure it in place on the bottom?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My scale says the weight is 10.4 lbs

In my experience with the seat and in my estimation:

You can't lean back much at all unless quite purposely, as it is set into the seat well. Cannot lean back against the aka brace unless you get up and push it over.

The front half of the seat, which covers the hatch by about 1/4 inch or so, can tip up maybe an inch or so if necessary for hatch access if you lean back.

Access of the plastic frame; as you can see from the picture of the chair bottom, there are two slots in the plastic frame bottom that could be used to bolt the chair in, or one could make more holes. I wouldn't want to bolt the chair in though in my case because I store the boat and chair separately. I tried the chair on the living room floor also and sat upright, so I suppose you could take the chair out and use on land dockside, camping etc. The chair is stable enough to not necessitate bolting in.

Actually at this time I think I prefer the 2012 lighter boat with this comfortable chair instead of the new heavier boat with the new mesh chair, but I have not tried the new boat. Ya gotta give Hobie a lot of credit though, what a great product they put out and back up. Very clever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Wightcap for answering my questions. I just bought the Centric SAS version with matching Yellow and off white ($250), it's the same size as the one you have, but 2 to 3 inches higher on the backrest. Most importantly is that the bottom frame matches your version. Also the bottom has suspension built in. I'm going to try it out on the back seat of my TI, which matches closely the AI size seating well. There is no aka brace back there, so good to know that I don't need it as a back rest for the seat. I look forward to being able to hop out of my seat quickly for needed tasks, along with the extra comfort. I'll report back once I've tried it out upon arrival.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got the seat today. It's fantastic, fits like a glove in the TI rear seat. Just enough room for the rudder handle to move it's full arc and just enough give to open the front hatch. For the price of a used TI over a new one. This is the economical choice. I didn't want to get out of the seat it's so comfortable. Really look forward to getting on the water tomorrow with it. I will look to tether it to the kayak, that's really all you need to do. Get the Centric SAS version for only $50 more, for the bottom suspension. It's well worth the extra expense. Do not get the Centric II. It's an inch wider and I don't think it will fit properly. You just have enough room with the Centric.
This is it for those looking for a sturdy comfortable chair (probably more so than the Vantage) for their pre 2015 AI's or TI's. The only problem is now I will have to get another one for the front seat. You have numerous choices in color combinations on amazon. 8)
Thanks Wightcap for the find, it's perfect for what I need!!!

Price varies a lot over time on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Centric-U ... od+centric

For cheaper I went with these guys. Choose more comfortable add suspension. http://www.backtoboating.com/attwood-bo ... oat-seats/