Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well... I have developed a disability/limitation problem and would like to continue using my AI.

I have developed wrist problems and have had surgery on the right wrist for a ruptured tendon and left wrist for a torn ligament, and need another right wrist surgery for a worn out joint with bone on bone pain. So I'm looking for something to lift the rear of my AI up and hold it up so I can get my cart under the center while loading at my camper to roll it to the beach, then to hold it up while I remove the cart, then to load it again when I return from a sail. I have to bring everything with me when I take off, otherwise it will get stolen, and it's to far to return stuff to the camper and go back to the beach.

Any idea's?

One shop suggested something like a take apart tripod with a pulley to lift at the rear carry handle. It would have to lift the rear about 3 feet off the ground. I sail on open ocean in the Northeast.

Last edited by 1776 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hear of your problems. We're all getting older...

How do you transport your boat? I add and remove my cart while loading/unloading from my truck rack and now from my trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Once a season I bring it from home to my camper in the spring, then back home in the fall, on the roof of my car. I get help with that. I slide the bare hull under my camper on boards for storage during the summer season, then slide it out and lift one end onto the cart in the center. I need some sort of telescoping pole that's gas, spring, or pulley powered to lift and hold up the rear. The rear well drain holes or rear aka hinge points would be good mounting spots for a telescopic lifting pole(s).

I cannot keep a trailer at the campground. The cart with the large beach wheels requires very little pulling, which I can do with a wrist brace with a hook. Lots of those on fleabay for weight lifters. My cart needs to be narrow for a narrow boardwalk over the dunes and is used for another kayak.

I have friends with TI's that also have problems with lifting one end, just due to the weight, and having to DIY a lot of time. The carts move around a lot, which prevents just pulling it up and on.

Thank You

Last edited by 1776 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A friend of mine made some sort of three leg tripod structure with a pulley arrangement at the top of the tripod. He used this to lift one end of an AI to assist getting it on the roof of his vehicle. I think it might have been about 6 foot tall or so when setup. I cant remember what he made it from.. might have been wood or PVC or AL.. I can imagine this made from three pieces somehow lashed at the top and a rope loop around the base and the pulley arrangement with whatever leverage you need attached at the top. You could set this up over the end of the AI that you wanted to lift, maybe even put a cleat on it so hold the AI up while you put the wheels on.

I dont know how well it worked or the details.. but maybe this will spark some idea..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keep the ideas coming. You might run across something while out and about that can be modified. I'm thinking more in line of a small, light, strong salt water environment aircraft grade design.

Inflatable dinghy flip up launching wheel brackets? (With hydrofoils?) Maybe I can deploy these in the water and ride the AI up the beach :)

Last edited by 1776 on Mon May 01, 2017 2:41 am, edited 18 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried rolling the AI with aka folded so that it sits on the ama? I used to use that method and it worked well.
Or this clever idea from paranoid:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=59743

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice idea. Thank You. Similar to this https://boonedoxusa.com/collections/lan ... nding-gear

I need the large (42x20 cm) (16.5x7.9 inch) wheeleez tires for AI weight and the sugar soft sand above the tide line on my beach. There's also a step onto a boardwalk that would rip off or bend a few flip up designs I've seen. The added height would not allow it to store under my camper. And with an AI, I like the weight of the cart behind the seat as close to the center as possible while on the water. The boat balances with the cart on center, so a front wheel is not necessary. Rolling the AI over on it's side to mount the cart would put more stress on my wrists than lifting it.

Empty boat lift weight at rear carry handle is 42 lbs, 54 lbs at the rear bungee loop inserts. Lift height is 30" off the ground to the bottom of the boat at the carry handle. Boat width at the carry handle is 13". Hull height is 9", and 5.5" from the bottom to the side seam.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe something like this