Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie with a 2016 Tandem Island. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas how to store items under the front hatch (and maybe the rear hatches as well). I'd like to put misc. tools, anchor, drift anchor etc. down there so they stay put, without sliding around on the plastic keel and being hard to reach.
Somewhere on the forum I saw a good idea about running a line from bow to stern below the deck, with loops at each opening for tying ditty bags to. But the only attachment point I see inside the bow is a plastic boss under the front handle cleat, which is way too far forward to reach (how in the world to they access it in the first place to attach the cleat?). I guess I'm reluctant to drill a hole in the front deck just to attach a cleat or grommet inside.
Has anyone tried to assemble a shallow box on the keel, to hold stuff? Or a big bag that could be attached at the lip of the front hatch?
Any ideas would be very welcome, and thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out this link viewtopic.php?f=71&t=57177&start=0

I use one of the blue flexible buckets mentioned in that thread. I cut the sides down and stuffed it in the back hatch. It works great keeping smaller items from rolling around all over the hull. I eventually want to get a second one to put in the middle hatch, it'd be great for holding an anchor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Chad - that's a great link and a good idea - do you have a picture of the blue flexible bucket? I have cooked up at least a cushioning idea for the bottom of the hull - two of the thin 24" X 24" foam floor cushioning squares (Costco, Harbor Freight) with the notched interlocking edges fit perfectly on the bottom under the front hatch.
(wish I could figure out a way to post the pictures!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well Chadback, maybe I should read your link before responding! The "trug" idea is perfect at the latter part of the link - shallow soft rubber containers that can be folded and fit into the hull. Thanks for the reference!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jhawkman wrote:
well Chadback, maybe I should read your link before responding! The "trug" idea is perfect at the latter part of the link - shallow soft rubber containers that can be folded and fit into the hull. Thanks for the reference!

Haha, no worries! Here's a couple of pics I took for better reference.

This is looking at the flexible bucket through the rear hatch. From where it is sitting in the pic, it will slide further towards the front of the boat just enough so that the shallow Hobie gear bucket can sit in the hatch opening.

Here is what the flexible bucket looks like out of the boat and cut down. I cut the sides down to make it about 4 inches high.

After the bucket is cut down, it fits almost perfectly, like it was made for the boat!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rectangular soft walled cooler bag with top cut off squashed into place.. I have foam flotation blocks in front and behind to stop it shifting, and for flotation.

Hull section in front of central hatches and under seat I have packed with pool noodles to form a sealed off section beneath hatch to place miscellaneous items tackle boxes etc. Not having a tray or bucket in central hatches means you can see any water pooling and pump it out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We all know that water will find its way into the hatch, so things will get wet. I use NRS dry bags. The real heavy duty ones that are made more of rubber. Not the slick thin ones. They slide around too much.

I put my anchor and assorted rope in one and put other items such as towels in another. Since they are rubber they don't slide around. I also use smaller ones in the hatch in front of my seat for personal items I need to get to. Give one to the wife for her stuff as well. I also use one of the Hobie tubs in the dry bags for spare parts and some small tools.

So things won't slide around, I have a beach noodle bent in a U shape with the top of the U facing the bow. That way thinks won't slide back. This seems to work well for me. I have been considering a connections on the small hatch lids to hold a carabiner

Thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All great suggestions - thanks! The Trugs are clever, and hadn't thought of the flexible sided cooler squashed into the space. Also makes sense to leave room to pump out the bilge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These can be used pretty much any where. One at each end if you did want to run a line.. On the underside of hatches. They can be used above board for non drill solutions as well. I don't like adding more holes to my Yak. https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel- ... B00XFXPYQO