Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have setup my main sheet to 3:1 and there is a lot of excess rope. I sail from the rear seat and my wife doesn't want to sail at all. I am contemplating on cutting my main sheet shorter. Is that a good idea? Anyone else where who has shorten their main sheet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It has been awhile since I set mine up for backseat-only sailing. I may have cut the main sheet. Not a big problem. You can always buy a new main sheet if you go back to the original set up.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Keith. I'm going to cut mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another issue I ran into today as I was sailing is that the factory furling line is too short to run it to the back seat of the TI. Any of you gentlemen swap out the furling line to another line that is longer? Also, the stock placement of the cleat for the furling line in the front is unnecessary and needs to be swapped for a block; afterwards, use the stock cleat and mount it next to the main sheet cleat in the rear (sailing from the rear seat only). As this is my second time on the water, I am learning as I go. So thank you for your patience and please don't flame me to hard. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

touayang84 wrote:
Another issue I ran into today as I was sailing is that the factory furling line is too short to run it to the back seat of the TI. Any of you gentlemen swap out the furling line to another line that is longer? Also, the stock placement of the cleat for the furling line in the front is unnecessary and needs to be swapped for a block; afterwards, use the stock cleat and mount it next to the main sheet cleat in the rear (sailing from the rear seat only). As this is my second time on the water, I am learning as I go. So thank you for your patience and please don't flame me to hard. :D

So, here is where that extra length on the main sheet comes in handy. I sail from the back with a 3:1 rig. I put a figure eight knot on the end of both the main sheet and the Furling line and the tie them together using a sheep bend knot. That gives me ready access to the furling line and only one rope to handle. Simples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do something similar when sailing solo from the rear seat. I keep a stern line tied on for docking, etc., and I just tie the loose end of the stern line to the end of the reef line to give myself the extra length to furl the sail from the rear seat. When the sail is furled and I'm coming in to the dock, I just untie the lines and I'm all set.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just hate loose tangles of lines in the kayak. Lose rope and barbed fishinghooks dont mix well! :(
So I am planning to setup two automatic dispensing spools (for laundry line) that I hope wil, take care of the problem.
One for the main sheet and one for the furl line.
Kinda crazy huh? Well thats just me! :D
I will let you know how/if it works.
http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk/lau ... 3103086166