Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Im still having a hard time pulling in the spinnaker into the snuffer. It feels like it gets snagged right by the mouth of the bag somewhere but when i go to inspect it, its not caught on anything. Any solutions?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You might have the snuffer bag attached too tight to the tramp. If it's too flush with the tramp, then the mouth of the snuffer can't lift up enough for the reinforced grommets to slip in easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found that the multiple layers of material surrounding (and reinforcing the mounting of) the grommets in the centre of the sail tend to catch on the mouth of the snuffer. I am assuming (at least partially confirmed in my experience to date) that these extra layers will become more flexible with use, lessening the "logjam", which is even more prevalent with the TI spinnaker, which has an extra grommet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
I have found that the multiple layers of material surrounding (and reinforcing the mounting of) the grommets in the centre of the sail tend to catch on the mouth of the snuffer. I am assuming (at least partially confirmed in my experience to date) that these extra layers will become more flexible with use, lessening the "logjam", which is even more prevalent with the TI spinnaker, which has an extra grommet.

Omg, this is exactly what is happening.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try installing the snuffer on an angle so that the hard mouth is aimed at the bow pulley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it is cause for alarm though, as it would seem that those patches will become more flexible with use.

In the meantime, I have added one of those "top hat" buttons on the front face of the aka, to prevent the snuffer sliding inwards when I give an extra hard heave on the snuffing line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tested my new modification today. Worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

letsgoski wrote:
I just bought a spinaker for my TI and installing it now. Every thing I'm dooing is tempoary to see if i'm satisfied.
First lashed 2 pullys at the ends of each rear AKA. Then run 1 rope from one pully to the other to form a figure eight and tie the ends together. Then attach a 2 soft blocks using a prusik knot to the looped rope near the ends of each AKA. Attach a zigzag cleat to the X-bar. Run your sheet through the soft block and through your sheet cleat.
You are now able to move the soft blocks in and out. Using the zigzag cleat to secure the loop. The reason for the figure eight is so both blocks move in together and out together at equal distances and totaly adjustable. It also will keep the AKA's from pulling out.
This is all theory and hope it works.

Did you end up doing this? I've just ordered a spinnaker and I'm thinking about something similar so I can use it upwind and downwind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes it does work very well. I added a removable zip tie to loosely hold the rope to the aka at each hinge. This keeps the rope in place when I fold up the kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome. You don't happen to have a photo or two do you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do have a short video clip. I'll post it as soon as I can figure that out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Video is even better. I look forward to checking it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

touayang84 wrote:
I installed my Spinnaker kit last night and I'm not a big fan of the red halyard line running to the eyelet post on the aka. did anyone swap them out for pulleys? Another thing, the kit comes with pad eyes but I think I'm going to use a cheek block. I think the pad eye will create more friction and cause more wear and tear on the blue halyard line. Anyone else use a cheek block or a pulley of some sort?

For the red halyard lines I attached Harken Bullet Blocks #166 on the almas (see attached picture); they cost about $28 USD each purchasing from a marine shop. I like this configuration better than using (or not) the eyelet posts on the akas, although I just installed the spinnaker recently and am a bit of a neophyte with it. The Harken block configuration works well for downwind sailing and I like both their smoothness and that they keep the lines better organized.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Addendum: I recently posted pictures of the blocks I installed on my AI's almas for the spinnaker lines for down wind sailing. I was interested in trying to also use my spinnaker as an upwind sail, as suggested in this forum, and it was described that to use it in this manner requires the spinnaker to be held in tighter than is afforded by line’s angle running from the alma block. However, I found that with the line running through the alma block, I could reach over and place the spinnaker line under the proximal eye post on the alma so as to keep the spinnaker tight (see picture). Note I am a novice with the spinnaker and don’t know if this is the best way to rig the lines but it was easy to do and seemed to work well for upwind sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like it. Nice and simple.