Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed my Spinnaker kit last night and I'm not a big fan of the red halyard line running to the eyelet post on the aka. did anyone swap them out for pulleys? Another thing, the kit comes with pad eyes but I think I'm going to use a cheek block. I think the pad eye will create more friction and cause more wear and tear on the blue halyard line. Anyone else use a cheek block or a pulley of some sort?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by touayang84 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't gotten the admiral to approve funding for a spinnaker yet. However, it is in the works, and when I do install it I plan on ditching the posts on the akas for a soft shackled pulley. I also plan on routing the sheets back to soft shackled pulleys on the rear padeye of the amas.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my TI, I made sure to get the Spinnaker kit wether or not I ever want it or need it. I usually persuade my accountant during night time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a reason to use posts vs a pulley/block.. The ideal position/angle of the spin sheet coming from the aka varies depending on if you are running or going upwind. If you use a block, you are locked into that one position and you will find limited use of the spinnaker. The reason to install the spin cleat within 4 inches of the aka knucle is because that is the perfect upwind position. I installed the post out as far as i could confortably reach. I pull the sheet semi tight before wrapping it around the post and then make my final adjustment.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
There is a reason to use posts vs a pulley/block.. The ideal position/angle of the spin sheet coming from the aka varies depending on if you are running or going upwind. If you use a block, you are locked into that one position and you will find limited use of the spinnaker. The reason to install the spin cleat within 4 inches of the aka knucle is because that is the perfect upwind position. I installed the post out as far as i could confortably reach. I pull the sheet semi tight before wrapping it around the post and then make my final adjustment.

But aren't you locked into one position by using the post? Maybe because I don't have one yet I'm not fully understanding the drawbacks of using a soft shackled block vs. a post. Regardless of post or block I plan on routing my sheet out to the rear of the ama anyways. This is not an upwind sail and is meant to be used on a reach or run.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, you will be pleasently suprised. I've been safely using this sail upwind for over a year now, as do the people I sail with. I would go as far as to say I sail more upwind with it than I do downwind on days where the winds are less than 12mph. Hobie is understandably playing it safe by calling this a downwind only sail. But the cut of this spinnaker is much like a code zero sail which is meant to be a spinnaker that can be sailed upwind too. This doubles the potential of Hobie's sail. I promise, once you try it upwind you will use it that way. You just have to be careful and bring it down if your heeling to much or experiencing gusts. You can't effectively point upwind if the spin is being held out by a post or a block. It has to be pulled in tight.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a link to a video showing the spinnaker being used upwind. It I feels to me like it almost doubles my spead vs main alone but I have never measured it. There is no undo strain on your boat in light winds. You wont point as well as main only but you definitely sail upwind. I was moving very slow upwind before pulling out the spinnaker in the video below.

https://youtu.be/Fy4QdYKwfJw

When wing the spinnaker this way, I now unfurl the main all the way out and pull it tight. This Adds speed.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
You can't effectively point upwind if the spin is being held out by a post or a block. It has to be pulled in tight.

So, that's sort of what I'm trying to fix. With a soft shackle you should be able to slide the block along the aka to either place it inboard or outboard depending on your point of sail. Almost like a traveler car. This is the block I'm thinking of:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A17O83C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IKUB0W6XRFVE&coliid=I3TZ2T1M84B0VY
or even this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSXZ24G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IKUB0W6XRFVE&coliid=IRJE6NQRG5IOR

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vetgam,

Here is a video of the setup that I was talking about. This is video is Spook hitting some impressive speeds, and I believe TonyScott has implemented a similar block style system.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I would suggest is that what Spook gains downwind, he loses upwind because he can't change the spinnaker's sheeting angle for upwind use. Correct? I'm not comfortable with the trade off. You can't point upwind well with the spinnaker that far out. Maybe he is using a post on the aka to pull the sheet in upwind but I've seen his setup and don't recall he did that. If he did that I would suspect the angle to the post would make it slip off. I like those soft blocks though. Never seen them before.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thinking of a trade-off. Don't use blocks at the back of the ama. Instead just use soft shackled blocks on the rear aka that you can slide in and out depending on upwind or downwind. Looking at another trimaran that has a "reacher" (a corsair pulse 600) they have their spinnaker sheets routed from the tack of the sail to a turning block on the back of their aka and then forward to another turning block. The only difference between their setup and what I'm proposing is the extra run back up to the front aka as well as the fixed location of the turning block on the rear aka. Not to mention their akas are much beefier than ours. Here is a video that shows their setup:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see where your going with this now. Clever. A boom hitch knot tied to a block would work but you would be limited to how close in you can pull the block in due to the u-shaped aka brace and it's holder. The ideal sheeting angle should be about 7 degrees off the bow for upwind use. That's about 2-4 inches out from the back akas knuckle..

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could tie rope from one eND of the aka to the other and then tie the block to the roperson with a boom hitch allowing you to bypass the aka brace and support.and slide the block as needed.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
You could tie rope from one eND of the aka to the other and then tie the block to the roperson with a boom hitch allowing you to bypass the aka brace and support.and slide the block as needed.

Would you be able to slide the boom hitch on the rope? I've never used a boom hitch. I remember someone on the forum talking about one though. Maybe that was you? :oops:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is suppose to work rope to rope. Monohull sailors use it to release pressure on a sails sheet while fixing a fouled wench. I don't have any experience rope to rope.though.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis