Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope that the group does not mind my revisiting a topic which had been the subject of multiple threads. However I do not seem to be able to find the answers that I need in them so i will put my questions into a single post.

I have decided to add a motor to my TI in order to compensate for my aging muscles and my desire to venture out further than I currently feel comfortable doing. I realize that there are a number of advantages and disadvantages of different types of motors but I would like to go with an electric motor due to issues of sound and smell. Also, thanks to a generous wife, I do not have to take the most economical approach although of course I would like to be as economical as possible.

It looks to me like a Torqeedo is my best bet. Since I want to be able to use both foot powered drives along with the motor (my generous wife is also a good pedal pusher) I would imagine that I will want something other than the Evolve. I also like the idea of being able to use the rudder part of a mounted motor as a backup rudder in the event of a rudder pin break while I am far from home.

The ultralight looks like a good choice in terms of weight and features. However I am not sure that I have the skills necessary to mount it on the back near the rudder as suggested in the manual and as described in detail in several posts on this site, particularly in terms of the steering lines and avoiding interference with the rudder operation. I think that I could mount a motor on the side using one of the available mounting devices. However I am not sure that the ultralight can be mounted and steered in this way. It looks like one of the Torqeedo travel motors would mount Ok to the side and could be steered by means of the attached tiller, but I was not sure if the weight of motor would make it unwieldy particularly in terms of raising and lowering it. Also, If I went with the travel motor, any suggestions as to which one to get 1,5 vs 3 HP and short vs long shaft?

By the way, when I sought information from various vendor websites I got some info and manuals but was told to go to user groups for more ideas and information, which is exactly what I am now doing!

Thanks to all for your help with this and with other topics over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I recently bought the Torqeedo 403 and installed it in the manner shown by a poster on here who had some very detailed guidelines. I am sure you would have seen his post with the red TI. It was a bit daunting at the start but I found that in reality it all went quite well. The issue with setting up the lines for the rudder aren't really that difficult I used some shock cord for that and it works alright. The only tough spot was when I go to the blocks to raise and lower the motor. These had to have the threads tapped into the Akha support. My neighbour helped me out there and it only took about 30mins to do that part.

I am not sure if you could get someone to help because it really is a great way to mount the Torqeedo 403 and I am so happy that I attempted it. If you were in my part of the world I would help (for the obligatory beverage payment).

Hope this helps you to make up your mind it really is the way to go.

Cheers Steve