Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 38cm wheels on HD cart
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have previously had problems with the HD scupper cart 26cm wheels. The first set of wheels I received were so soft they went half flat with the TI loaded on the cart. Austin Kayak swapped them out and the second set had the same problem. I eventually got wheeleez to send a replacement set and returned the soft tires to them for evaluation. The new set was better but still partially flat and seemed softer than another set I had purchased a couple of years earlier for a different kayak. I decided to try putting my 38cm wheels on the HD cart by purchasing 1/2" hubs for them to replace the 1" hubs used on the large hobie cart that I never use. I used the new setup yesterday for the first time and it was better than I expected.
I can just slip the cart into the scupper holes after pulling the stern off the trailer and setting it on a five gallon bucket. When I take the boat off the trailer there is more clearance under the stern to avoid scraping on the pavement and less of a lift to get it back on the trailer. The boat is much easier to pull on the taller more rigid tires and having the boat higher feels much more comfortable while pulling it. It was so much easier to pull up the ramp I was going to walk it to my parked trailer; something I would never have done with the other tires.
Downside is the tires are twice the weight but this is not a big concern for me. I have pvc pipe spacers that are about 2" tall below the collars that support the short cradle because I didn't trust the collars alone to hold the weight of the TI on the slick tubing of the cart. This allows just enough of the cart to protrude through the topside of the boat to set the locking pin.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for sharing this.