Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am hopeing some of you can help us choose a motor for our Hobie TI. We have been reading reviews of Yamaha 2.5, Honda 2.5 Suzuki 2.5 they all seem to have issues when it comes the newer 4 stroke engines. Does anyone have experience with any of the new small motors? We are looking for any suggestions.
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the Suzuki on my old Getaway. Never had any issues. I liked the motor and it was reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Suzuki and it has served well except when I hit a mud bar and clogged the water passage.

Due to that, and having to flush the cooling system after each use, I would go with the air cooled Honda if I had it to do over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gas issues.. Just use Ethanol free or add Seafoam to what ever gas you can find.. I use whatever gas with my Suzuki 2.5 and always add Seafoam and dont believe I have had any issues. Probably the same for all the outboards mentioned. Before I started adding seafoam, I have had problems on another outboard due to the gas (stuck float and clogged idle jet).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lehr Propane 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had the Suzuki DF2.5 for almost 10 months and have clocked just over 50 hours actual use. It has been very reliable, mostly starting first pull. The 1litre tank lasts around 1 hour 15 mins at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, cruising at 10 to 12 km/h depending on conditions. I only use premium unleaded fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pair of the Honda 2.3 engines on my TI, been running them about 4 yrs now without any major issues that weren't self induced. (I've blown up a couple via over rpm, and knocked the lower unit off on one in a horrendous crash, but all that was self induced)
As long as I use ethanol free gas and some gas preserver I don't have many problems with fuel.
When used in salt water you need to rinse them off everytime, and take the cowlings off once in a while and clean the salt off the engine, I spray mine down with WD40 fairly often and change the oil often with mobil 1.
The engines are very light ( I think around 25 lbs ea).
Obviously with twins you have to re-prop unfortunately you have to make your own props (honda doesn't make any other prop beside the 4.5" pitch (which would be fine for a 2500 lb boat, but all wrong for ours), unless you enjoy going 6mph, then it's fine.
They are air cooled ( I like that), and can be ran out of water. But they use centrifugal clutches which I don't like so much (no reverse).
Quite a few of the other guys like the Suzuki, plus I think it's $250-$300 cheaper, the Honda's are way over priced IMO. Though they are darn reliable, I haven't owned a Suzuki so I have no opinion.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can people comment on transportation of these motors? For example, to avoid fuel spillage all over the inside trunk of your car. I have heard some have compartments that can be tilted and others that do not.

Also if you are on a multi-day island trip, what has to be done while on the island in a saltwater environment to keep these things running (e.g., how do you clean them or reduce corrosion in the wilderness) so you can get back home?

Are they easy to beach land with (i.e., just tilt up and land) or difficult to pull up a sandy beach fully-loaded with camping gear?

Alternatively, can I anchor and leave the motor tilted up on the boat overnight and not worry about the motor being cooked by swell hitting the side of the island?

Thanks!

Last edited by frond_wonderland on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
I have a pair of the Honda 2.3 engines on my TI, been running them about 4 yrs now without any major issues that weren't self induced. (I've blown up a couple via over rpm, and knocked the lower unit off on one in a horrendous crash, but all that was self induced)
As long as I use ethanol free gas and some gas preserver I don't have many problems with fuel.
When used in salt water you need to rinse them off everytime, and take the cowlings off once in a while and clean the salt off the engine, I spray mine down with WD40 fairly often and change the oil often with mobil 1.
The engines are very light ( I think around 25 lbs ea).
Obviously with twins you have to re-prop unfortunately you have to make your own props (honda doesn't make any other prop beside the 4.5" pitch (which would be fine for a 2500 lb boat, but all wrong for ours), unless you enjoy going 6mph, then it's fine.
They are air cooled ( I like that), and can be ran out of water. But they use centrifugal clutches which I don't like so much (no reverse).
Quite a few of the other guys like the Suzuki, plus I think it's $250-$300 cheaper, the Honda's are way over priced IMO. Though they are darn reliable, I haven't owned a Suzuki so I have no opinion.
FE

I am interested to learn how you re-prop yours. How much speed do you gain?
I have an AI2 with Suzuki 2.5, going about 6 knots average.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you to all who answered.
We also wondering how everyone is mounting these gas outboards on the Hobie TI?
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am also wondering how a person would flush the cooling system on 2.5 outboard. How long would you flush the cooling system?
Regarding a Honda 2.5 I had read that because they were air cooled they were very noisy. Does anyone have experience with the noise level?
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

frond_wonderland wrote:
Can people comment on transportation of these motors?

My Suzuki has a label that says transport this side up or words to that effect. I turn off the fuel and run it out of gas before transporting and have never had any leakage.

We also wondering how everyone is mounting these gas outboards on the Hobie TI?

Search the forum for this ... there are numerous threads on this subject.

I am also wondering how a person would flush the cooling system on 2.5 outboard.

I converted a moving dolly to be a motor rack. I put the motor on it with its lower end in a 5 gallon bucket of water and start it up. I then turn off the gas and run it until it is out of gas. Must add water to the bucket a couple times to keep water intake covered.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes the honda at wot (wide open throttle) is pretty loud, as I'm sure all outboards are. This is precisely why I have mine re-propped and a second engine installed. I never have a need to go any faster than 8-10 mph cruise speed, anything above that and the boat becomes an exhausting handful to operate (not fun at all). With the engine throttles locked at just above idle (high enough to engage the clutches). The engines with their underwater exhaust are very quiet, you can easily talk over them (about the same noise as a Torqeedo (pwm diodes typically squeal)), all my videos are with the engines running, you can hear the engines, (I've posted 30-40 videos on here, (all really boring)). The motors are putting out somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 hp ea. Of course my TI is widened (about 13ft wide) so both the AMA's are always completely out of the water, and I have a planing hull mod installed and the hull is coated with a zero contact angle coating ( to reduce water drag), and many of the openings in the hull (like the rear mirage slot) are covered to make the boat glide in the water efficiently.
For a while I had 8-10 silicone fuel lines of various lengths stuffed into the exhaust output (silencers), which makes the engine almost totally silent, however this can become rather dangerous if you ever exceed 1/4 throttle. I didn't trust myself so I removed the silencers. The reason being if I ever get in dire trouble while out offshore, (what I call get the heck out of dodge mode). I maintain the ability to open the throttles to WOT and make a beeline back to shore, ( only ever used in dire emergencies). I can steer with the motors in the event of rudder failure (kinda important).
Keep in mind my TI is heavily modified with massive sailsets/wings ( up to 260 sq ft sail area) and I've never ran the motors without the sails deployed and generating equal or greater horsepower to the engines, (the sails are setup like power amplifiers, similar to the way an air conditioner operates), the sails are never the primary source of energy.
I alwas start the engines up when I pull away from shore, as soon as I clear harbor I open the sails, then sail to the best of my ability all day, then shut them off when I come in. If I ever wanted to sail the old fashion way (which is never lol), I can always just shut the motors off, tilt the engines up, and the boat sails and handles no different from any other TI.
Actually you had a question about tilting the motors. We have had our boat anchored just off shore on a mooring ball with the motors tilted up for up to two weeks in the keys several times, obviously we went out every day. Didn't cause any issues.
Actually we often camp at camp grounds near the ocean that are on skinny rivers or canals leading to the ocean, usually we have to traverse under many low bridges to get to the ocean. What we typically do is lay all the sails on the hull, tilt the motors up, pull the AMA's in then rope the AMA's up completely up and out of the water, then kayak out using the mirage drives, (usually under many low bridges), which is sometimes several miles. Once we get in clear ocean we open everything up, put the masts up, lock the AMA's out, and sail around. When we have had our fill, we put everything back down and snake our way back to the campground,( motors are typically not allowed in many of those skinny inlets so we have to peddle (depending on where you are of course. For example I wouldn't attempt the Adams causeway across key largo without a motor (just too far to peddle (miles)).

As far as storage goes, we have well over 200k miles with our camper in tow and Kayaks on the roof, we just lay the motors down on their sides in the back of the truck or on a platform on the back of the camper. The fuel tanks are sealed and there is a gas shutoff at the carb. If you forget to empty the float bowls they will eventually drip out about a table spoon of fuel, (we forget all the time,(lol)). I lay the motors on an old welcome mat that I stole from our front porch so the truck bed doesn't scratch the motors (or visa versa).
Our TI is our only family boat so we use it for anything and everything.
Hope some of this helps
FE
Edit: Our current range is around 100 miles/day (10-12 hrs@8-10mph), regardless of actual wind speed and direction, our fastest point of sail is around 10-15 degrees off the wind and our slowest is a beam reach (we try to avoid beam reaches). Obviously the more wind we have the faster we go but we but the boat gets very uncomfortable in anything over 7mph wind (we prefer <5mph winds and dead flat water, which is 80% of the year here). We have been running this exact setup now for about 4yrs, with really no changes, I don't work on the boat much anymore, we just use the darn thing, lol most everything is starting to look pretty tired, my bow sprit, mast topper and most of my rigging is now over seven yrs old.

Last edited by fusioneng on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks FE, this is very helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frond_wonderland wrote:
Can people comment on transportation of these motors? ...

For simplicity I always transport my OB upright. Its either stored on the trailer...

...or on this frame made out of 'Connect-It' aluminium tube and cutting board...

...which doubles as a flushing stand by adding an 18litre waste paper bin...

Re flushing -if on an expedition where its used daily you would not need to flush until the trip was over. Last year we were on a 10 day TI camping trip and I took the stand for storing the OB overnight with us in camp. I didn't want to leave it attached to the TI down at the waters edge.

PS-The OB on the stand is small enough to fit behind the front seat on my wife's Suzuki Swift which is how I get it to the OB mechanic for service.