Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: O boy!! Time flies!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well at last I have some spare time to get on with the project again.
Its been a long hot summer in Sweden and I have been working my but off. I have had only a few weekends off and mostly used the time for fishing and testing the TI. The setup works really good. Motor mount performs very well. I would like to try a different prop with less incline. Cruising speed is around 6-7 knots on about half throttle. No real use for pushing the motor harder. I guess another prop would let the motor rev some more and give more speed but I am not sure?

No major leaks so that is nice. The hatch seel mods I did last year works perfectly. I only get a little water inside leaking from the rudder line tubes. I need to fill the tubes all the way with grease. The small amount I managed to put in helps a little. Ones I get the front batteries and the trolling motor mounted the weight desplacement will level the hull a little more.forward.and keep the rear from dipping as much.
Sailed and run on the 4-stroke in winds up to 25 knots with short choppy 1 meter swells! ☺ The TI can take it but I prefer smoother weather.

One week of building planned now then I will be off for a trip a 1500 miles trip up to the north of Norway. Some Hallibut fishing and I will have a go at the Greenland Sharks. Wohoo!

Today I installed the mast tip rotator with my carbon extentsion rod to clear the sail from the rearstay. Now tacking is no problem, no hang ups. This is also the first step to prepare for installing a future furling foresail of some kind. Still need to do the research on what sail to get. :D

Now I can finally install the inflatable mast float, the top navigation lights, radar reflector and maybe a flag mount. Looking forward to do the capsize-test of the inflatable mast float as soon as I am back from Norway.

So there are still loads of other stuff left to do but I will be cracking on best I can until I leave for Norway next week.
Will be posting as the build develops.

Last edited by Husse0416 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Of course, when you are running under motor, you are then deemed to be a motor vessel, and required to carry both navigation lights, AND a forward facing white steaming light, located below and masthead navigation lights.

Thanks for your concern and info. I have a full international maritime certificate so I am fully aware of the rules and regulations. For sure a single wite light would fill the regulations (and be easier to install) but I will have full nav-lighs on the TI for several differnt reasons. I am running a class B AIS transponder and as I am sailing a lot in pretty busy shipping lanes the ships will get very nervous when the see me on the AIS plotter at night but no nav-lights. A single white light is very hard to spot here in my urban waters. Lots of builings on land and a full nav-light setup makes the TI more visible.0

Anyway I will post the nav-light setup once I get it all installed.
So little time and many things to do!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

During the summer I made a new bed for the TI on the trailer. The PVC 2 inch pipes are setup to fit the grooves in the hull and I think I got it pretty much perfect. The TI is very stable. Loading and launching works good. I will try to cover the PVC tubing with some carpet to reduce friction and scratches when dry.

A few things left to do on the trailer....
-New LED backlights
-Welding a rear transport bracket for the 4-Stroke and elecric trolling that is used only under transport. (Less junk inside the car.)
-A top rack on the trailer for a roof top tent. GordieGear makes a supernice trailertent, Taiga, that would be perfect.
https://youtu.be/9Wu-XVtck8E
Well the top tent is a winter project but it sure would be great for next season! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well my idea with automatic '"cordomatic" for the sheet and furl lines worked really well! :D
It was great to have all lines out of the way as the automatic rollers gathered up all the slack line. No tangles and much easier to sail and furl. I have been testing the idea during this summer and it really works well.

But.....
As I suspected both of the cordomatic rollers broke after a few outings in sea water. The spring steel rusted and seized and the thin spring blades of course broke. :shock:
So what to do?? I have not found any product that is suitable and withstand marine saltwater conditions.
In the long run I will manufacture specially made cordomatic rollers but for now I have ordered another pair of the same I started with. I will open them up and pack the springs with grease and seal the spring housing best I can and maybe this will make it survive a bit better.

On the.other hand the modified mirage drive plugs with the large scupper valves works flawlessly!! :mrgreen: I have sealed the edges around the plug so only the one way valve drains the deck. No inward flushing of water when sailing or.motoring whatever speed and condition. Very nice and it still drains the deck fast and effectively if needed.

In the future I will cast silicone or rubber plugs (insted of Hobies original) that will be larger and fitõ tight in the MD wells so they seal good. When casting the new MD plugs I can simply include theese excellent oneway valves in the cast.
Very happy about this fix and to sail dry.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love the innovation!
Shame about the retractor failing. I want something like that for the continuous spinnaker sheet set up I’m using. The slack always tangles or catches somewhere.
Great to have you back and posting again Husse. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Love the innovation!
Shame about the retractor failing. I want something like that for the continuous spinnaker sheet set up I’m using. The slack always tangles or catches somewhere.
Great to have you back and posting again Husse. 8)

Thanks mate! Back at you!! :)
Feels really good to finally have some time to spare to work on the project again.
Yeah the idea with retractors for the loose/slack sheetlines is relly nice. I used the retractors since I got it set up last fall. It really makes the sailing so much easier especially when you are fishing at the same time and need to furl in a hurry when you have a fish on!! The retractors broke 3 weeks ago and I have only been out twice with the TI since then without the retfactor system. Oboy I really miss it.... tangles and lines everywhere. Hooks getting stuck... really a mess!
Saltwater and corrosion is a (censored).... but I am searching for stanless radial spring coils. Once I have found this its pretty easy to design and 3D print a better retractor.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Husse, I am genuinely interested in your TI, and all of the modifications you have made to it, but for some reason, none of the photos you added to it are working. Do you have a video with a full description of all of the changes you made of your boat, or do you have a different photo hosting service with all of those photos?

Thank you, and keep sailing!

Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14