Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Windy morning here in Sweden. Perfect weather to some more work in the workshop.

Started out with removing the masking tape from the rails and remounted the handrails and the rear riser. I changed some of the bolts that were a bit to long and tightened up all the bolts. Checked that no rudder controllines were chafing against any bolts but all looks ok.
The rails I mounted yesterday feels very firm and solid but the rail tubing 25mm is a bit to small for the 1" (25,4mm) bimini sockets and even when tightening the small grubscrews as hard as possible there will be some movement. I am thinking of using hot glue to glue the tubes into the sockets. If needed they are easy to remove with a heat gun. (I guess this is what Hobie does when mounting the aka tubes in the hinges?) I will wait with the glue untill all the gear is installed and setup but I think the hot glue is a good idea?

Anyway allways nice to see some progress with the project! :D
(slowject?)
Everything takes more time then planned but thats normal I guess!? :?

The front motormount... yes... thats my task this windy saturday....
A couple of mothts ago I got theese plastic tube clamps 42 mm on Ebay. They fit the round aka tubes perfectly. :)
The aka crossbars are not all round, more like oval and they also has a tag in the bottom. With some simple filing I can still make the tube clamps to fit and use them as a base for the bimini hinges. :)
I cut up and drilled out some stainless plates for securing the clamps. (While at it I made 8pcs extra for other future mounts on the aka arms, some really tedious timeconsuming work!) :?

To get all of the design of the front motorplate correct I will take the time to do a simple wooden prototype. Its just to much work to fabricate the final product and risking bad result. It will take some extra time but I figure it will be worth the effort. From the prototype I can also estimate if my construction will be able to handle the forces involved from the heavy 38Lbs electric motor.
I think the final construction will be a sandwitch with a stainless steel frame covered with aluminium plate that is pop-riveted to the top/botom of the frame. The "sandwich"plate will be secured to the bimini hinges in the rear and rest on the g/f resin cowl. I still have to figure out what way is best to secure the plate in the front end and at the sides.

End of coffebrake!! Lets make a prototype... or two?
:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been running in and out from the workshop today due to the rain showers. Damm this weather!

So today I have been trying to design a motormount for the electric trollingmotor (Motorguide Xi5).
Since I got it delivered in june the box has been taking up space in the diningroom so its at last time to unpack it.
(The Mrs gave me cheers when I finaly carried out of the house for the last time) :D

Most of the morning I was busy with headscratching and experimenting of the layout...The Mrs came out very happy to see the progress and commented..."Oh so you are finaly giving this up and making a bonfire out if it??"
(Sure looks a bit like it!! :lol: )

I decided to make four fastenings point on the front aka crossbars instead of just two. I hope this will add some stability (but also weight unfortunately).
I draw up the design and made a simple first prototype from a piece of plywood.

The design looked feasible so I rigged up the wooden plate in a very "professional" manor to try out the clearance and messures.
(Well I will of course shorten the shaft of the motor)

Good thing I made a prototype... several messures were off and I noticed I can fortunately move the motor at least 2" closer in to the centerline and still have enough clerance for easily deploying the motor. Very nice!

I did some calculation for the weight and if using steel for the frame (as I first had planned) the motormount will be much to heavy. :(
So I will do the frame out of 25x25mm aluminium tubing and cover it top/bottom with 4mm aluminium threadplate. I am not an enginere so I can just hope this will be strong enough. The weight will still be about 8Lbs but I can accept that if it works.

Wile "out and about" I tested the position with the RAM mounts for the fishfinders... Just perfect! Just in the right spot!

I put a piece if wood across on top of the handlebars and tried the seating position! Wow this will really work well as a fishing position when anchored or just drifting. Super!
:mrgreen:

Well I am out of the aluminium tubes I need and some other stuff to. I have to head off for the hardware store tomorrow.
I will finish this days work with cutting out the aluminium threadplate.
Workday tomorrow, vacation is over, but I will be pushing on with the project as best I can. Still lots left to do! :)

It would be nice if the rain decided to stop....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Winding down after a busy day at work. Shame vacation is over for this year.
Next summer will be all about fishing (not kayak modification) :lol:

I got the rest of the hardware yesterday that I need for the front motormount, pop-rivets, aluminium tubing and some drills etc.
The aluminium plates are cut so I can continue the build tomorrow.
The only thing missing is the four bimini hinges. They are on the way from china... it will take a few a few weeks before they are delivered Im afraid. :( I might do some simple makeshift provisional fix in the meantime? :?

I found a nice piece of teak wood and will make some nice edges on both the front and reat motormounts. That should give the yak a more "organic" look to balance all the metal.

I reviewed and revised my TO DO LIST for the project and marked the items that are fixed fully or partialy.

1. Adding rails around the TI at well thought out positions. -CHECK (Well I might att two more rails in the front cockpit)
2. Adding 3rd extra aka behind rear seat. -PARTIALLY DONE (still need to figure out a good conection att the end oart of the new extra aka arms)
3. Adding XL rear and front foldable beach wheels capable of fully mounted craft. -WORK IN PROGRESS
4. Adding aft motormount for 3-5hp 4 stroke. -CHECK (just the lockscrews to fix for the swingplate)
5. Adding bow motormount for electric MotorGuide ix5 -WORK IN PROGRESS
6. Adding 200Ah battery pack. -NOPE (I am testing the cells and have the gear ready for doing the battery control box)
7. Adding custom haka bench/trampoline. -NOPE (spine board should arrive soon from Germany)
8. Adding rear riser stainless. -CHECK!
9. Mounting heavy duty roddholders. -NOPE (still need to find the right gear and decide the best mounting position.
10. Mounting 2 x Lowrande HDS 7/9 Carbon -NOPE
11. Adding two foldable transducer mounts, 1pcs for spotlightscan, 1 pcs 3D scan. -NOPE
12. Mounting of the VHF, Lowrance link 8 ais + antenna. - NOPE
13. Adding rod transport holders. -NOPE (waiting for the front motormount to be finished)
14. Adding sail/tent/tarp. -NOPE
15. Adding anchor winch. -REVISED- I will only mount the anchor trolley and keep on using my "dive reel" for the anchor as before. This system works very good. I will add/mount an anchor roller and a cam cleat to make it easier to retrieve the anchorline)
16. Rearranging sail furl/main line with automatic retracting spool. -NOPE (waiting for the front motormount to be finished before I mount the new pulleys)
17. Adding navigation lights. -NOPE
18. Adding a raised up foldable fishing fighting chair. -PARTIALY DONE (the handlebars are mounted. Need to find a light suitable chair with swivel plate)

New added items:
19. Power pole anchor. I will make a wire/line remote control from the rear cockpit to a power pole anchor in the bow. In the rear I will just mount a fastening tube for a stick.
20. "Capsize protection". Filling the mast with PU-foam and adding an automatic inflatable mastfloat.

So there is still a lot of stuff left to do but most of the major items are accually fixed.
Finishing the front mount for the electric motor and the beach wheels are the two things that takes a bit more time and effort . The rest of the things are more straight forward and somewhat more easier to do.
/Gustav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll be watching with interest at your bow mount motorguide.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

John_h wrote:
I'll be watching with interest at your bow mount motorguide.

Greetings!
Well this first version of the mount might not be the ultimate design/sollution.
The mount will be a bit bulky and weigh a bit more then I would like. I still want to finish it to get the Xi5 setup and try it out in the water as soon as possible.
A big questionmark is how well the GPS lock on the Xi5 55Lbs will handle the wind/drift considering the motor only is placed about 50cm (20") in front of the mast and is offset about 25 cm (10") from the centerline.
In low winds I guess this will work fine but it might be a big problem in ruffer conditions. We just have to wait and see. :)
I also have to see how well this plate will handle the weight of the rather Heavy Xi5. Really hard to tell how the Waves and swell will affect the mountingplate as the motor struggles to keep its position.

I am riveting the plates to the aluminum tubes tonight and have started the design of the hinges that will be bolted to the plate.
If I get around to it (time is never enough) I will post pics again from the build later this evening.

All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slow progress.... just a few hours in the workshop ...

I drilled out the 84 holes in the aluminium thread plate for the pop rivets. :) Good thing its aluminium, drilling all thoose holes in stainless steel would have taken ages! :D

I started to cut up and align the 25x25mm tubes for the frame. Looks ok and I have hopes that it will be strong enough now when I see the motorplate build progressing.

Continuing on tomorrow and hope to have the plate done before the weekend so I can make the glassfiber/resin cowl that will support the front motorplate.
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All the rivets are "popped in" into the upper plate. Took some time to cut and adjust all the pieces of tube. Its just av small puzzle. :)
Even without the botomplate in place the motormount feels very sturdy so I think this will work.
Not the most beautiful gear I guess but fish dont complain! :D
Weight is exactly 9 Lbs, could be worse.... :shock:
Goto get some more pop-rivets... I am out... 84pcs! :)

[/img]https://www.fiskesnack.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96033&d=1503590579[/img]

The desigt will look a lot better (I hope) with the Xi5 mounted and some nice teak railing. 8)

Tomorrow I will have time to finish riveting the bottom plate.
Also I got confirmed the spine boards for the haka benches will be delivered tomorrow! Exciting!
The rest of the weekend I will work on the g/f cowl and try to get the fishfinder transducers mounted.

Sadly not much time left over to do any fishing ... looking forward to get the project finished so I can finally "get out there" again!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hakas!!
New delivery today, the spine boards I ordered from a surplus company in Germany arrived. :D
They are a bit scuffed and scratched but otherwise in very good condition. No cracks or sign of hard use.
The "military look" will look pretty cool ... I hope! 8)
I just put them loosley in place on the akas to check them out... wow.. they really makes the TI look larger somehow?

The underside is pretty flat so for starters I will just strap them onto the akas and maybe later work out a good sollution to keep them better in place.
Disadvantages.....? Well this ads another 20Lbs to my "Yak"!
It sure will be interesting to see how the TI will sail with the extra weight?

Last edited by Husse0416 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This morning I riveted the underside of the treadplate. The motorplate really feels rock solid. Hope it will work ok.
I sanded down all the aluminium edges around the plates so that a 8 mm thick 25mm wide teak strip fitts exactly in the groove around the motorplate. Onto this strip of wood I will screw and glue a little wider strip of teak that protudes just above the pattern of the treadplates. When the outer teakstrip is sanded and rounded down I hope the "square" and hard feeeling of the motorplate will feel a bit more "organic" and blend in better with the rest of the design.

I am still missing the four bimini hinges but I will "leach" the ones from the riserbar until the new ones are delivered so I can finish the mounting of the front motormount.
Quick cup of java and back in the workshop again!
I hope to be able to testmount the Xi5 tomorrow.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The hinges are slowly getting done... lots of little pieces that has to be cut, grinded and drilled out.

Some holes still to be drilled and then I will weld the brackets.
I am missing the long 6mm bolt needed for the plastic clamps. I hope they arrive tomorrow.
"I Just keepon workin"!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well this weekend was just not long enough to get all I wanted done.....
The work with the hinges went along really well but as usual I simply underestimated the time needed for the job.
Unfortunately there is no time left to mount the transducers for the fishfinders so I will have to try to get this done during the week. :cry:

Anyway I am rather satisfied with the result with the front motormount. Everything fits and sits straight. I even managed to produce some decent welds on some of the hinges. I mounted the hinges with a few temporary bolts, they will be replaced with stainless bolts.

There was just time beforendark to put the Xi5 in place to get a feel of the construction. The motorplate is just resting on a piece of wood on the gunwale in front of the mast. It feels really solid and handles the 18kgs of the motor brilliantly. :D

The motorplate and hinges feels really solid and strong and I hope it will handle all the force from motorthrust, wind and waves very well.

When I first saw the plate in position I became a bit worried. It seemed higher up than I expected...!? Did I have clearance enough for the lower edge of the sail...!? :shock:
I just had to check and make sure so quickly I put the mast on and phew... no worries!! :roll:
Phew!! Two inches clerance left... and thats all it takes! 8)

The g/f cowl that will hold up the front edge of the motorplate still have to be made so I will try to get around to this task ASAP but.....
Next weekend the weather forcast looks very good... so far anyway... :roll: so I might be heading out for the entire weekend! :P
Camping out overnight. I wont have time to install the electric motor until then but I will bring the fourstoke along and do some more testing and at last some more fishing again!!! If I am lucky the bonitos are in season...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heading out fishing tomorrow.. NICE!!
But I did get some stuff done during last week.

I started the work on the mounting arms for the fishfinder transducers.
I will make two rather identical arms. They will be foldable and also have an emergency flip up system if I hit rocks or just (being stupid) forget to fold them up when beaching. :shock:
LOL!

I will mount both transducers on the starboard side because of the anchor trolly that is running along the port side of the yak. I dont want the anchorline tangled in the transducer arms...
I hope I can position the mounting arm for the sidescan/3D between the centreboard and the rear Mirage drive. Just have to try it out and se how it all works out to avoid getting "shadows" or interference.
The arm for the Lowrance Spotlightscan will probably be positioned at the right side of the rear seat as I must direct the transducer manually. The Spotlightscan system is designed for use with the older pedalsteer trolling motors but I will mount the directional sensor onto the transducerarm with a camaxle giving the correct position of the scanning.

I made some quick drawings and cut up most of the pieces of the build last night and will press on with the project the next few days dong some welding.
I will use stainless 416 for the build, much easier to weld and the weight saving compared with aluminium would only be arund 1kg (2lbs).

Last week I finished the motorplate. I added the teak rim around the plate. Looks nice. Missing the stainless wooden screews, ordered them so I can finish the mount.

All the hinges are ready and mounted and seems to work fine. I had to redo the righ outer hinge with a new design to get the allignment correct but now the plate is all done and I can start with tha g/f cowl and support bolts in the front.!
:D

Before I hit the sack and close down the workshop for the night I got around to get the last pair of rails in the front mounted. A thunderstorms just rolled in but I just finished before the rain hit us. Lucky!

Feels grate to see the progress... still a lot left to fix but its slowly getting done...
but tomorrow I am hangning up the big red sign on the workshop door... "GONE FISHING!!"
See ya!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks you are having a blast making all your mods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

John_h wrote:
Looks you are having a blast making all your mods.

Greetings John!
I just got back from a really nice day out at sea. No dramatic catches (just a few cod and some herring) but real nice sunny day. Soft winds around 8-10 knots in the gust. Perfect for just cruising around enjoying the sailing! :lol:

Well yes John, the mods and customisation of my TI is something that I enjoy doing. I am trying to implement all the functions that my prevoius boats have been lacking.
I am not really a sailing entusiast (just an avid angler) but experiancing the TI have for sure got me interested in the sailing aswell. I might just add a furling jib to the project in the future. :)
I am reading all the threads on the forum and other info online how to best make a good usable furling jib setup. The extra sail might get useful regarding to all the extra weight I am adding with all the mods. (I am sort of still not convinced it will float when it is fully equipped) :shock: :lol:

All the best!
/Gustav

Last edited by Husse0416 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Electronics....
(all you down to earth "organic" folks beware, this post might give you headaches or worse...) :lol:

Well so slowly the project is approaching the part with the installation of all the electronic gadgets.
(And beeing sort of a tech-geek I sure have been looking forward to all this) :P

I just ordered some RAM mounts for the fishfinders, the vhf radio and the electronics/battery-monitor/displaybox.
The RAM C-balls that I tested so far has no trouble to hold the weight of the larger fishfinder/plotters even in rough conditions.
The RAM system makes it fairly easy to remove the units when needed for longer transport, maintenance or to reduce the risk of theft.
They are a bit "pricey" but in my mind well worth the cash.
I just wish you "Yanks" would use metric screws and bolts as the rest of the world? Please??!! :?
Its allways such a hazzle to find replacement bolts in Sweden when needed.

The two fishfinders/plotters will hang on the grabrails (one on each side) with RAM C-balls mounted in the middle of the yak. With the long RAM mount arms the distance is perfect for both visibity and hands-on adjustments sitting in the rear seat without impairing the space needed for fishing. :D
At the moment I am running a Lowrance HDS 7 gen3 system but will upgrade to the new Carbon 9" for next season.
(I hope Santa has received my wishlist?? :lol: )
The new Lowrance Carbon screens are supernice and gives very good visibility even in direct sunlight. Also I often find the old 7" HDS screen a bit small for my aging eyes.
The 2 screen system will give me the option to run 2 separate transducer systems (Sidescan/3D + Spotlightscan) simulaneously and still enable to access the plotter and other functions at the same time.

The Lowrance Vhf Link8/AIS recevier will sit on the port side of the rear seat mounted in the rail system in front of the 4-stroke. The AIS positions will be displayed onto the plotter on the HDS/Carbon units. This gives good extra security to avoid any boats/ships in the area with AIS transponders.
(I am of course allways carrying a small handheld Vhf in my PFDvest toghether with the EBIRP)

The monitor box (custom made) will house voltage/amp displays, automatic fuses, switches for all the elecronics/pumps/lights etc and some usb/12v outlets. I am still deciding exactly where to mount the box but it will probably sit on the port side in the rail under the grabrail in the middle of the yak.The displays will show the voltage realtime for all the eight LiFePo4 battery cells in the system and warn if some cell is aproaching low voltage levels.

I will run 2 packs at 4 cells each making up the double 12v (14,4v) system. A masterswitch will make it easy to quickly switch between the two 12v packs. The packs are 100Ah each with a total weight of 22 kgs. They fit snuggly in the front hatch just in front of the mast support struts.
I will place a batterytray on the bottom and fill some soft PU-foam underneath to spread the load on the hull. The battery packs will be made easily removable with option to use one or two packs.

I will charge the cells individually with my " iCharger 4010 duo " (a very smart and intelligent hobby charger 8) ) that will charge the two packs (4 cells) balanced at 40amps each making the total maximum time for a full charge about 2-3 hrs. The total 80amps (12v) needed is supplied from a 220v-24v/2400w power supply that drives the charger.

From the battery pack a voltage stabilizer 12v/15A will drive all the electronics to avoid any interference from the electric trolling motor or pumps.
A 100A main fuse is mounted on the batteries and a separate 60A fuse for the Xi5 55lbs motor.

Some navigation lights and some waterproof head/spotlights will also be mounted.
On the transducer arms I will mount underwater lights (for the night fishing sessions). :P
I will run most of the cables through a couple of 2" tubes that I am installing inside the hull to make the installation easy and avoid a messy tangle of cables inside the yak that might tangle with other gear packed inside.

So there is a lot of clever electronic wizardry planned for my TI3 project.....
I just wonder if my own limited brainpower can keep up with all the new tech?? :roll:

This installation job is perfect work for late dark cold rainy weekday evenings and "luckily" I have lots of theese type of days in Sweden.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next