Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After recently putting tramps on my AI and sailing in high winds, I came within a few degrees of flipping the boat (something I had thought not possible) for the first time in 7 years. I decided I should get a tiller extension to be able to sit out on the tramps. However, my AI 2010 is too old for the Hobie tiller extension (and you can’t just put a new tiller lever on to accommodate it). There for I jury-rigged a tiller extension costing ~$40) that has worked really well and thought I would post this for others with antique AIs.

Parts:
- Ronstran RF1127 stainless steel Battlestick screw down universal joint ($30 at marine store)
- Blue Hawk paint roller ($1.71 at Lowes)
- Quickie telescoping paint roller extension pole ($5.81 at Lowes; this does not need to be telescoping but it is the right size, sturdy and has a handy swivel on the back end for attaching a rope to tie it down to the boat- see photo)
- 2 sheet metal screws
- 1 one inch stainless machine screw, washer and nut (Lowes)
- 2 rubber washers (I had these but one can purchase them in a plumbing section)
- rope and stainless steel snap ($5.00 at Lowes)

Parts, modifications and assembly are shown in the attached pictures (hopefully these upload).

I had some concerns that weren’t realized. (1) The 2010 AI has a raised flange on the outer port side that limits the rotation of the tiller lever (see photo). I was worried that the extra hardware might limit the rotation of the tiller lever when turning the kayak to the starboard side, however this was not a problem; (2) I was also worried that the tiller extension pole might exert too much torque up and down and damage the tiller lever or its spindle. However, the rotation of the universal joint + the screw attachment through the tiller extension insure that this doesn’t happen; (3) I thought that I would need to unscrew (remove) the tiller extension rod when sitting in the cockpit (seated). This disconnect is easy to do but I found that it was not at all necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work ConwayL and great documentation! 8)
Thanks for the very informative post.
Being able to hike out transforms sailing on AI/TI's. If you're enjoying the tramps and hiking out you'd love haka.