Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp-to-Tramp transfer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a post that is not for tough and stoic sailors, but rather for those that have a lower pain threshold. This year I finally installed tramps on my older AI and have been enjoying sitting out on them in high winds, except for when I come about and have to get to the other side. It is painful to have to flop into and crawl out of the cockpit, especially on the knees, shins and other boney parts that are scrambling over the hard plastic. For the moment, I’ve come up with a solution that while inelegant is at least very simple, inexpensive and makes the transfer more comfortable and faster (speed useful when coming about). As you will see in the attached pictures, I used stainless steel spring clips (<$6 USD purchased from Lowes) to attach the straps of 2 personal floatation (type IV PDF, model F) cushions to the grommets in the tramps. I have a smaller gardener’s knee cushion attached to the kayak’s seat strap. When I’m sailing in the cockpit, these cushions are flipped out of the cockpit onto the tramp. When I go out onto the tramp, I flip the cushions in and they form a solid but soft platform. The small gardener’s cushion goes onto the kayak seat and then the PFD cushion goes on top of it - this helps the cushion there lie flat. It is possible to sit on top of the cushion platform (with one’s back against the top of the kayak seat) and still pedal, which is useful if you need a pedal assist to power through the turn. It is also not hard to duck under the sail. When the cushions are in the cockpit, they do not interfere with the operation of the tiller lever with/or without a tiller extension. I’m thinking about some further modifications but for the moment this is the design and it works. The PDF cushions when not in the cockpit could be used for someone to sit on out on the tramp and keep their backside dry (or I suppose in the event of a man overboard, thrown in the water for rescue). I would be interested if anyone has come up with a more elegant solution (that doesn’t involve biting on a bullet or pain killers lol).