Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Longer furling line
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

Unfortunately my search fu seems to be inadequate today. I've been searching the forum to get information from those who've rerun their furling line for rear seat control. Other than tying together the furling line and main sheet as I do now, I want to change out the furling line for a longer line so I can add a cam cleat closer to the rear seat for better control. I will probably be running down the port side.

So my question to the forum is for those who've added a longer line, how long a line did you add that can still comfortably fit on the furling spool?

Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: Longer furling line
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have considered adding a longer line for rear seat furling.
Fitting additional line on to the spool is surely not an issue, as the extra length will never be on the spool, when sailing from rear?
(Apart from when demounting the mast for transport, or reverting to the front seat I suppose)...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RedKite wrote:
I too have considered adding a longer line for rear seat furling.
Fitting additional line on to the spool is surely not an issue, as the extra length will never be on the spool, when sailing from rear?
(Apart from when demounting the mast for transport, or reverting to the front seat I suppose)...

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I never really thought it through. I can always loop any excess line before bagging the mast and sail.

Cheers,
John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LSYak wrote:
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I never really thought it through. I can always loop any excess line before bagging the mast and sail.

I just leave mine on the boat. Untie the knot that keeps it from slipping through the hole on the drum then re-tie the knot, pull the line tight and cleat, put excess in mesh pocket.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Herbaldew wrote:
LSYak wrote:

I just leave mine on the boat. Untie the knot that keeps it from slipping through the hole on the drum then re-tie the knot, pull the line tight and cleat, put excess in mesh pocket.

Thanks. Looks like there are more than 1 way to do this and I'll have to work out which way suits me.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Herbaldew wrote:
I just leave mine on the boat. Untie the knot that keeps it from sliphping through the hole on the drum then re-tie the knot, pull the line tight and cleat, put excess in mesh pocket.

Herbaldew,
The more I think about it, the more I like this solution. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Cheers,
John