Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am about to install the electric bilge pump I got. I has a specified capacity of 35l/min (~10 gallon/min). The lowest suction height is 8-10mm so I off course want to mount it flush on the bottom. Still considering the best way to do this but I will find a good way. (Probably will add a piece of foam ontop to squeeze it in Place and maybe a piece o velcro to stopp it from sliding.)

The problem is where to best mount it?
As I see the issue... when the bilge pump is needed/operating I do have a serious problem/leakage so I will probably be heading ashore ASAP with the outboard. I guess most of the water will be in the back of the boat in that situation?

I searched the forum most of the TI equipped with a pump seem to have the placement in the rear.
Any one with tips or experiance from this?

Off course I should do a test and load up the TI fully and put som water inside and check out where on the bottom of the hull the water ends up....

Last edited by Husse0416 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In your case, aft, just forward of the rear hatch. This is where I mounted mine and where the water mostly pools when sailing. You can prove this to yourself and perhaps fine tune it a bit by pouring in a few liters or so of water while you are sailing in calm conditions.

Because of various load distributions, everyone's situation will be different, but for you, or anyone else who has installed an outboard aft, this seems to be the best place, especially if you primarily sit in the rear seat.

The trick to installing a bilge pump on the TI is mounting it without cutting holes in the hull below the water line, which I would never recommend. Not too many adhesives will properly stick to polyethylene, at least not for long.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Where do you guys mount the outlet from the pump hose? It needs to be a pretty flat surface.
I am planning to mount the outlet (with a one-way valve off-course) on the rear just behind/beside the rear hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Husse0416 wrote:
Where do you guys mount the outlet from the pump hose? It needs to be a pretty flat surface.
I am planning to mount the outlet (with a one-way valve off-course) on the rear just behind/beside the rear hatch.

Right here works perfectly and is out of the way of everything else. :

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pro10is wrote:
Husse0416 wrote:

Right here works perfectly and is out of the way of everything else. :

Perfect! Thanks! Just about as I planned! Will be drilling the hole tomorrow! :?
:D
/Gustav

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Pro10is!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got the bilge pump outlet in place! :)

Feels like a good location for the outlet.

Will take a look at how to mount the pump now.

Thanks for the advice!
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Husse0416 wrote:
Got the bilge pump outlet in place! :)

Feels like a good location for the outlet.

Will take a look at how to mount the pump now.

Thanks for the advice!
All the best!
/Gustav

I use one of these wedged on top of the pump forward of the hatch. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lotus-Yoga-Block/54193774

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

idaho brit wrote:
I use one of these wedged on top of the pump forward of the hatch. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lotus-Yoga-Block/54193774

Thanks for the tip! :)
I used a piece of foam in the same manor, works for now until I have tested the placement on the water.
:)

Problem solved for now anyway!
:)
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is an old post, but you guys who put your through hull in the back, isn't that essentially below the water line while underway? I found a double ended through hull so I can connect a hose on the outside and run it up a rod holder to above the water line!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This location rarely if ever goes underwater, at least not in my experience. But even if it did, my bilge pump uses a check valve which would prevent water entry. If you use a bilge pump without a check valve you can always add one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have picked up a seemingly excellent NRS hand operated bilge pump. Only tested it in a bucket so far, but I am determined to plumb it “through hull” from the small drink holder on the port side/rear seat. The idea is to store the pump above deck, likely under the rear seat, then if your taking on a lot of water in rough conditions, you unscrew a cap, screw on the pump,and empty the bilge, all done without having to open a hatch. Does anybody have any experience with such a system?
I will post a YouTube video (for reference) when I get it done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mcoop57 wrote:
I have picked up a seemingly excellent NRS hand operated bilge pump. Only tested it in a bucket so far, but I am determined to plumb it “through hull” from the small drink holder on the port side/rear seat. The idea is to store the pump above deck, likely under the rear seat, then if your taking on a lot of water in rough conditions, you unscrew a cap, screw on the pump,and empty the bilge, all done without having to open a hatch. Does anybody have any experience with such a system?
I will post a YouTube video (for reference) when I get it done.

What is the advantage of this over mounting an automatic bilge pump inside the hull?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A manual bilge pump doesn't need electricity (obvious but can you rely on electricity to still be available if there is a lot of water inside the hull?

Here is my bilge pump access to the hull. A piece of clear plastic tube fitted to the Hobie manual bilge pump reaches down to the floor of the hull, effectively sealing the opening while in use, to prevent "blowback"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That’s it exactly Tony, thanks for the photo!

Mr Pro10, it’s my opinion that an automatic bilge pump (even though it’s crazy cool) is just a bit overkill for this application. I have managed a decade of pedal sailing without a 12V system, and am kind of determined to keep it that way.